The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#406144 - 13/12/13 08:41 PM Goretex - irrepairable!
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Last year i purchesed a pair of expensive Berghaus Goretex Paclite over-trousers. I wore them on half a dozen occasions mostly during the Spine.
Checking my kit for the next event, I found that the Goretex membrane has peeled off on the inside at the ankles, and a small hole too.
The Goretex repair centre recommended by Cotswold and Go Outdoors cannot repair them. it's no wonder Paclite is being discontinued.
They cost around 100.. and are the only overt-rousers I have ever had problems with, also by far the most expensive.
I have at this moment a tailor sowing patches of a similar waterproof, breathable material onto where they are affected.
I wont be spending big on o/t's again.
Dave.

#406145 - 16/12/13 09:15 AM Re: Goretex - irrepairable! [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

Loc: hertfordshire
I'm getting more concerned about the very light materials we're all using with each tale like this.
I still have my damaged Rab ones to sort, they are Pertex shield+ I'd like to get a heavier/stronger material stitched into the damaged area

#406146 - 16/12/13 10:01 PM Re: Goretex - irrepairable! [Re: Les + Heidi]
Geo Offline

Loc: Oamaru, New Zealand
Originally Posted By: Les + Heidi
I'm getting more concerned about the very light materials we're all using with each tale like this.
I still have my damaged Rab ones to sort, they are Pertex shield+ I'd like to get a heavier/stronger material stitched into the damaged area

Seems the story with all types of purchases now, not only hiking gear - I suspect that manufacturers quite like the idea that 'lightweight' usually means cutting manufacturing costs by using less or thinner material. (along with shifting manufacture into Asia!)

#406147 - 21/12/13 06:00 PM Re: Goretex - irrepairable! [Re: Geo]
Slogger Offline

Yeah, makes you dubious about purchasing more of the stuff, although i still rate the jackets I have purchased in giretex, especially my most recent (last year) in Goretex 'Pro', reckoned to be 28% more breathable than Goretex Paclite.
However having done a recent walk in pouring rain and getting chilled towards the end in full Goretex, with good layers beneath, becoming very wet with perspiration. A mate in full Paramo, dry as a bone and warm, I have made some Paramo purchases, so will see how they go.
Dave.

#406148 - 23/12/13 02:48 PM Re: Goretex - irrepairable! [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

Got my Goretex trousers repaired by a local tailor. I cut up some old Viga waterproof breathable trousers and he sewn some patches on where the Goretex had worn. Very neat, he did a good job. I will put some seal sealant or Nikwax over the stitching and job should be good one.
Dave.

#406149 - 23/12/13 07:27 PM Re: Goretex - irrepairable! [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

Loc: hertfordshire
Nice one Dave, food for thought when considering my repair job

#406150 - 24/12/13 04:12 PM Re: Goretex - irrepairable! [Re: Les + Heidi]
Slogger Offline

Yeah, Les and he only charged me a fiver. Have a great walking season in 2014 and a happy Christmas to you and Heidi.
Dave.

#406154 - 25/12/13 12:35 PM Re: Goretex - irrepairable! [Re: Slogger]
john57r Offline

My Paramo Alta is pretty good. Not a summer lowland walking item though. Got it 100 off list price so pretty happy.
I don't spend a lot on overtrousers though..Got some Hi gear ones at the moment. They feel a bit padded but are light and only about 25 as I recall.
Odd though, my latest Mammut goretex boots ( T advanced I think)feel fairly flimsy on the top. Can feel a bit of a crease digging into the top of my toes when I walk. As has been said; lightweight probably taken to mean flimsy.
Happy Xmas

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917