The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36018 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#406156 - 28/12/13 10:51 PM C2C with a little boy
ASC Offline

Loc: San Francisco
My husband and I completed the C2C in 2010 and it was one of the most wonderful things I had ever experienced. We now have an 8 month old son and I dream of hiking the trail again as a family some day. I realise that a lot would depend on the temperament of the child, but I was wondering what other parents have found is generally a realistic age for a kid to do the trail. I think we'd do b&bs rather than camp. Thanks.

#406158 - 30/12/13 09:46 PM Re: C2C with a little boy [Re: ASC]
Geo Offline

Loc: Oamaru, New Zealand
Hi ASC,
Kids are pretty resilient. I'm sure there will be those here with tales to tell. Out of interest, the youngest recorded as having walked Land's End to John O' Groats was nine years old, as was the youngest to hike the Pacific Crest Trail in the US. So over the lesser distance and using B&B's I'd think you'd be able to trim a couple of years off that if the child is not having to carry any weight themselves. Like you said though, 'a lot would depend on the temperament of the child' and also his/her physical condition. Good thing is you could always 'pull the plug' if the child couldn't handle it at any time. Be interesting to hear what hiking parents have experienced.

#406159 - 01/01/14 05:21 PM Re: C2C with a little boy [Re: ASC]
ASC Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Thanks Geo. Wow, 9 years old! That's fantastic. I also recently learnt about the Northumberland Coast Path which seems a lot shorter and less strenuous, and seems like there'd be lots of things to interest a kid (beach, castles etc). It could make a good introduction to LDW. So far our son smiles a lot when we take him hiking in the carrier so fingers crossed.

#406160 - 01/01/14 09:23 PM Re: C2C with a little boy [Re: ASC]
john57r Offline

Interesting topic.
I have in my head to do the c2c for the last time with my granddaughter near to my 70th birthday. She will be 13 then. I think you are right and a lot has to do with the child's temperament. I have no doubt that a ten year old could physically do it without a pack, given enough time. Mentally however it may be a different tale.
Because it is popular there is a tendency to think the c2c is easy. There is a big difference between a 14 day walk in the sun and a more typical 10 day one where it pelts down over Grizedale, Kidsty Pike and Nine Standards.
My idea was that she would have the physique and I would at least then still have the mental attitude to do a reasonable time carrying packs.
I have done it four times in recent years and truthfully have not seen many people below say 16 doing it.
That doesn't mean they cannot of course.
Anyway I have happily nearly ten years to wait to see if she actually wants to go!

John

#406161 - 01/01/14 09:46 PM Re: C2C with a little boy [Re: ASC]
Geo Offline

Yeah, I think a large part of distance hiking is mental. (as opposed to being physical - not as some would say because you're mental for doing it!)
The trick will be to introduce your grandaughter to hiking at an early age so that being soaked and hungry seems normal. wink Might be difficult to convince a young teenager who's more used to shopping mall expeditions to suddenly jump into a pair of boots and sleep on the ground!
Sounds like ASC are on the right track introducing their son to the outdoors already.

#406162 - 01/01/14 11:00 PM Re: C2C with a little boy [Re: ASC]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
The night before my first LDP (Pennine Way) when asked what I thought about what lay ahead I responded that I hoped my feet would stand up to it - he responded it is not your feet that will decide whether you finish it is in your head! I have learnt that it is very true, no matter how difficult the day, just think about the next few miles, lunch, the shower/bath, the pub in the evening etc get your brain around the next hour or so but not about the couple of hundred miles that may lay ahead over the following days. Things are always better the next morning - will usually!
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

#406163 - 01/01/14 11:14 PM Re: C2C with a little boy [Re: ASC]
Geo Offline

I just tell the brain that I'm just doing a series of day hikes so it ain't going to be a problem... though the old rascal seems to be wising up with age now and tends to complain a bit more with each 'day'. wink

#406164 - 02/01/14 09:23 AM Re: C2C with a little boy [Re: Geo]
john57r Offline

She is three next month. Last summer we took the short drive to the Yorkshire Wolds and had a couple of half mile walks up a dry chalk valley to see the sheep and have a picnic.
This year it will be a bit longer, a few more times to see the highland cattle.
And so on...The idea is to show that the world is not just the shopping mall so she can at least make an informed choice.
Key moment will be when she is big enough for her first walking boots. Another year or so yet!
Hope this makes sense ASC

#406165 - 02/01/14 09:41 AM Re: C2C with a little boy [Re: john57r]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
She sounds like a lucky young girl to me. A nice walk to see animals and a picknick as well. The time will come when she reduces the length and speed of her walks to accommodate you! When that time comes I am sure you will be very pleased that you have given her that opportunity.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

#406166 - 02/01/14 07:05 PM Re: C2C with a little boy [Re: Harland]
john57r Offline

Do you know something Harland; If that day arrives on said C2C I hope I will have it in me to tell her to stride on to Shap and I will see her in the pub later. I will then sit on a rock and think myself lucky.
btw: Hope the Pennine Way revisit goes well. Must be a few years since last time if you did the SWCP 7 years ago. Hope the legs keep going. The sections I have done have been fair walks.
I plan to start at Penzance and walk to Poole in May (20 days). Am now looking forward to it but fancy that I may just be underestimating it due to the proximity to towns and villages.
Penzance to Minehead in Sept.
I will do the PW in 2015 as it is on a not yet done list that's stares back at me every time I read it.

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917