The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2891
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35982 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#406241 - 12/02/14 08:29 PM End2End Walk
Chris Wright Offline

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Cana...
Is anyone contemplating a JOGLE walk in 2014? I am starting from JOG on April 20 hoping to get to LE in June sometime. Hopefully before the World Cup gets underway.
My route is the A9,Great Glen Way, WHW,Union Canal, part of Cuthbert Way, Pennine Way, part of Limestone Way, Staffordshire Way, Heart of England Way, McMillan Way & McMillan West Way, South-West Coastal Path.
Keeping fingers crossed that the floods will have subsided. Trying to tent all the way to cut costs and have a more flexible schedule.
Would love company on the walk for all or part. I'm easy to get along with. I'm fit, a distance runner (9 years and almost 2 months unbroken daily run streak at the moment). Enjoy all sports especially athletics, cricket, football, hockey (ice that is), baseball, basketball, NFL, and NASCAR. Enjoy discussing politics, theology, philosophy, Pink Floyd and Moody Blues, ELO, SuperTramp, Guess Who, BTO, Neil Young, and Rush. Ooh and Vavaldi, bannedperson, Mozart, Rene Flemming & Pavarotti too.

I'm 68, a retired school principal, British born and bred and live in Canada since 1970. My mother lives in Retford, Notts and I am a life long Forest supporter. I've run a 800 meters in 1:53.7 and a mile in 4:17 but stick to road running and cross country sking nowadays.. and hikes. Done the C2C twice. I am hoping I would be congenial company for part or all of the way.
Cheers, Chris Wright. St. John's, Newfoundland. Chris.wright46@gmail.com

#406242 - 12/02/14 08:55 PM Re: End2End Walk [Re: Chris Wright]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Whilst you are flexible re timetable, have you any idea when you may be walking the Pennine Way. I am walking it S>N starting 10 May and finishing in Kirk Yetholm on 26 May. If we cross it would be good to spend an evening together, not sure I can add much to ice hockey, baseball, basketball, NFL or Nascar but we could have a drink and chat about walking!
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: Land's End to John o'Groats in stages 2018.

#406243 - 13/02/14 08:43 AM Re: End2End Walk [Re: Harland]
Chris Wright Offline

Harland
Great to hear from you. I feel I know you through your many contributions to this site. I would enjoy your company should we meet up for part of a day. All things being well I think I should get to Kirk Yetholm in four to five weeks. I want to do the GGW & WHW rather than going via Edinburgh. Sounds like we could meet as I begin and you finish the PW. We should have some interesting experiences to share.
I am a novice tenter and so I am venturing into the unknown a tad. I believe there is a PW register in a pub in KY and so I`ll check if you have signed in before I get there.
Would love to inform you about the nuances of hockey and baseball when we meet but we could talk music. As you can see from my eclectic list I am somewhat dated to the 60s-early 70s! Slightly later for the Canadian stuff.
Thanks for your response and best wishes for the PW. I`m a bit wary of that walk knowing it will be the toughest stretch of all. Cheers, Chris.

#406244 - 13/02/14 10:06 AM Re: End2End Walk [Re: Chris Wright]
Harland Online   content

The GGW and the WHW are not too difficult to follow and I don't think that you should have much trouble in finding wild camping. There are a few official campsites that no doubt you have spotted. The ones I remember are beside the river at the Bridge of Orchy where there were lots of midges and at Beinglas Campsite where a trip across to the Drovers Inn is worth checking out even if only to say you have been there. Don't forget that there are youth hostels and bunkhouses that will enable you to have reasonable night now and again. I'll email you a copy of an accommodation list of B&Bs, YHAs, Camps and hostels that I made prior to my unsuccessful attempt at LEJOG in 2010. I had a problem with my hip as I went too far, too fast, carrying too much weight and on roads to save time. Don't underestimate the problems of walking on roads with the weight of your rucksack rather than grass - I did!

I think that the PW should be OK as by that time you will have got into the swing of daily life and pacing yourself. The trip across from the WHW to Kirk Yetholm should have given you a bit of a rest.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: Land's End to John o'Groats in stages 2018.

#406245 - 13/02/14 02:10 PM Re: End2End Walk [Re: Harland]
Chris Wright Offline

Appreciate the advice especially the camping. I will be aiming to overnight at official campsights, YHAs etc. Good for a shower and maybe a meal, and meet other walkers. I'll wild camp only when necessary. I was also unsuccessful three years ago and only got as far as Inverness. Developed painful blisters and was hobbling rather badly. My backpack was too heavy and yes, the road walking made it more difficult. Felt rather sheepish to call it quits and get on the train at Inverness instead of Penzance! It's a risk but I am not taking cooking gear and reducing as much as possible the overall weight. I will ease into it more this time (I'm older!). I got to Inverness in four days last time. I want to take it leisurely at first and remind myself that I am attempting this to enjoy it with no artificial deadlines. I tend to push myself too hard.
I would appreciate receiving the camping spots you used. Watching the US playing the Czechs in hockey at Sochi at the moment. We (Canada) play Norway at 12:30pm Newfoundland time, the whole country will be supporting the Canucks.

Cheers, Chris.

#406246 - 13/02/14 02:31 PM Re: End2End Walk [Re: Chris Wright]
Harland Online   content

30 miles a day last time was quite a start to the walk, no wonder you are going to ease into it more this time! I decided to walk from Land's End so that I wouldn't have a lot of road walking at the start - in the event I did rather than walk the SWCP as I had walked this previously - a mistake. If I were you I would reduce the daily mileage to say 18 per day for a week then walk whatever your body feels appropriate. I don't know if you get "Compeed", to use on blisters, in Newfoundland but if not then search it out as it really does help.

#406247 - 13/02/14 03:59 PM Re: End2End Walk [Re: Chris Wright]
Harland Online   content

This is a very good journal to read although going the wrong way for you!

http://www.ukendtoend.com./

#406248 - 13/02/14 09:23 PM Re: End2End Walk [Re: Chris Wright]
Geo Offline

Loc: Oamaru, New Zealand
Originally Posted By: Chris Wright
It's a risk but I am not taking cooking gear and reducing as much as possible the overall weight. I will ease into it more this time (I'm older!).

Hi Chris,
Just to allay any doubts you may have - you should get away with carrying no cooking gear. I initially hauled cooking gear for a LE-JOG but very soon realised that it wasn't necessary, and in the quest for lightness happily mailed it off, just keeping a small pot and spoon.
Keep an eye on your intended route ahead and you should be able to pick up some form of cold food that doesn't require cooking to see you through the odd day where you may be unable to 'belly up' to a trough! smile
You're probably aware of this, but it's well to remember that pubs that display 'food served all day' don't necessarily do and it helps to arrange passage past any remote pub to coincide with 'meal hours' when possible. (as I hungrily discovered on a recent walk!)
Cheers,
George

#406250 - 14/02/14 02:10 PM Re: End2End Walk [Re: Chris Wright]
Chris Wright Offline

George,
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I thought there will be some days for kendle mint and crisps only! A pound here or there weight loss will be good anyway. Your comment confirms it for me , no cooking gear. I figure I will be up and away early and will not miss the typical B&B British breakfast. Never feel very hungry during 20+ miles per days. I am normally much of an apple eater but really enjoy eating them on hikes. Will tuck in for a pub meal where ever possible before resting for the night.

Can your book be ordered through Amazon.com? I'd be very interested to read it. If you were hiking through my neck of the woods it would be 'Dancing with Moose'.

My wife and I loved NZ when we visited. Stayed with a friend close to Tasman National Park. Attended a wedding on a sheep farm about 100 miles from Queenstown. My favourite place was Christchurch. Sad to know their beautiful square and Cathedral were devastated. As a runner one of my all time heroes.... Murray Halberg. What a graet and gutsy run he did to win the 5K in Rome. With no speed and a withered arm he beat the world's best by pure guts and a brilliant strategy.

Thanks again for your response. Cheers, Chris.

#406251 - 14/02/14 11:28 PM Re: End2End Walk [Re: Chris Wright]
Geo Offline

Loc: Oamaru, New Zealand
Chris,
Glad to hear you enjoyed your time in NZ. ChCh really had its 'heart' ripped out with that earthquake. At the time of the main quake I was sitting in traffic in Oamaru about 300km south of ChCh and felt the jolt of it even there. Recovery seems slow, but it is happening and I guess the silver lining if any, is that there must be a load of jobs about stemming from reconstruction. Yes, Murray Halberg was quite a man in his running days. I think he's still alive and kicking. He was coached by another NZ'r, Arthur Lydiard. Lydiard's modus operandi for training was to run up sandhills - tough but certainly produced results!
I see you are located in St.John's Newfoundland. I spent some time in a hospital there (Grace Hospital) as a young seaman, after I fell down the hold in rough seas in transit across the North Atlantic to Montreal. Fond memories despite the circumstances... of a certain nurse in particular. Was also taken by the kindness of locals visiting their kin who also brought me stuff when they found out I was a stranger.
Re' the book. Yes, can be ordered in paperback or ebook either directly from the publishers Lulu.com or from Amazon.com.
Good luck on your hike - I've enjoyed the hiking I've done in the UK. Maybe less remote than some places, but the sense of history (tangible and otherwise) and the varied dialects make for an interesting enjoyable experience.
Cheers,
George

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917