The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35984 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#406252 - 15/02/14 10:12 AM Re: End2End Walk [Re: Geo]
Chris Wright Offline

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Cana...
George,
What a small world it is. My daughter, Stephanie, was born at the Grace. Sadly it was torn down just a few years ago. I am glad you received kindness on the Rock. Newfoundlanders are well known for their friendliness and helping hand. Until the oil was found on the Grand Banks and other shelves we were the poor cousins in the country. We only joined Canada in 1949 by less than 3,000 votes and the big selling point was the availability of a baby bonus and unemployment benefits. Yet through all those years we give more to charity per capita than any other Province. Newfoundland became the receiving place for 9/11 planes unable to land in the States. There are remarkable stories of welcoming homes and communities to stranded passangers. Many of those in the States have become fast friends and regular returnees to the Rock.

I believe Murray Halberg has an award to his name for NZ most outstanding athlete for each year. Lydiard was a great coach! He matched Percy Cerruti in Oz with his great athlete, Herb Elliott. Lydiard also trained Peter Snell. What an amazing athlete he was. The first to combine Olympic gold in the 800/1500! While talking NZ sport, I met in Nottingham during successive summers Richard Hadley (Sir). He would go to the Bell Inn in Nottingham, my father's drinking hole, and I had several chats with him. Very easy guy to talk to. He and Clive Rice brought a lot of silverware for Notts CCC.

You live in a great country, brother. I will order your book and look forward to reading it. Best wishes, Chris.

#406256 - 23/02/14 08:57 PM Re: End2End Walk [Re: Chris Wright]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
I have just come across this website of the Scottish National Trail which I didn't know existed. Whilst it doesn't start from JOG it may be useful for the later parts to Kirk Yetholm although I expect that you already have the walk well planned.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/scottish-national-trail.shtml

Only 2 months to go!
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: Land's End to John o'Groats in stages 2018.

#406268 - 14/03/14 12:07 AM Re: End2End Walk [Re: Chris Wright]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
Hi Chris try to time passing through Byrness when you need a campsite and you can camp at the back of our Inn for free for the price of a meal (shower included)probably see you early summer. Joyce
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#406274 - 18/03/14 10:02 AM Re: End2End Walk [Re: Chris Wright]
Chris Wright Offline

Harland,
Thanks for the walking highlands site. I see it veers off my intended route a little bit near the end of the WHW but the route to Kirk Yetholm is very useful.

Sorry I have not communicated for a couple of weeks. We were away visiting daughter and grand kids in Grande Prairie, Alberta.
Just a little jaunt in the country I have lived in for 44 years but they live almost twice the distance from us in Newfoundland as to my mother in Retford, Notts. However, I am less than five weeks away from experiencing first hand how long the length of the UK is. I am noting that there appears to be Spring like weather encroaching. I hope it takes hold! I am expecting cold, windy and rainy conditions and anything less than that will be a bonus. I will sart from JOG on April 21 and hope to see you in Kirk Yetholm. I will take it cautiously and the overall objective is to finish not to get to LE by a target date. I was hoping to do it in 60 days but I am not targeting that now. My wife and I are going on the Marco Polo cruise ship from Tilbury around the British Isles in early September and so it will be nice symmetry if I can complete a north-south and circumnavigation.

Cheers, best wishes for your PW preparations. Hope I meet others reading this site on the PW and other trails. Chris.

#406275 - 18/03/14 10:11 AM Re: End2End Walk [Re: Chris Wright]
Chris Wright Offline

Joyce,
Thanks for the kind offer. I will take you up on that. A pitch and shower for the cost of a hot meal at Forest View Walker's Inn is a good deal. I'll ensure Byrness will be one of my overnight stops. I haven't worked out my PW sched yet but will do so shortly. I'm a bit nervous about completing the whole 1200 miles but know it procedes one step at a time.

Cheers, Chris.

#406296 - 03/04/14 08:30 PM Re: End2End Walk [Re: Chris Wright]
Chris Wright Offline

Harland,
Just thought you might want to google a utube posted yesterday in St. John's which as gone viral. It is called "Jumping Jesus".

It shows the adult son of a mother in town trying to get out of the front door which is blocked with snow which fell this Monday/Tuesday, March 31/April 1. The phrase Jumping Jesus is an old Newfoundland saying. It is not meant to be an offensive comment.

Still cannot open my back door due to humongous snow drifts and
the front has a narrow pathway to the driveway. Couldn't get the snow blower to it. Hoping for no or little snow as I leave from JOG to Wick and the rest of the End2End on April 21. Wishful thinking? I've had enough of it this winter this side of the Pond.

Cheers, Chris.

#406297 - 03/04/14 08:41 PM Re: End2End Walk [Re: Chris Wright]
Harland Online   content

Looks like a bit more snow than I get at home, haven't even needed to use my snow shovel this year. I bet you couldn't even get a snow blower here!

Trust it hasn't stopped you doing your daily run, if you can't do it outside then just keep running around the room but change direction every 10 laps or so! No doubt you are wishing the days away so that you can finally get going, I know that I am.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: Land's End to John o'Groats in stages 2018.

#406299 - 04/04/14 06:17 AM Re: End2End Walk [Re: Chris Wright]
K Offline

Loc: Langley, BC, Canada
Hi Chris,

Years ago I used to post on this forum as "Ken in Boston" but since 2006 my wife and I have been living just outside Vancouver, BC. It is good to see you posting--for my part I haven't posted on or even visited the forum in months and just happened to check lightweightmick's C2C thread "That 5 Day attempt..." tonight.

The walk you have planned sounds like the adventure of a lifetime. It is great that you can take an easier pace and not push too hard, particularly at the beginning. Have a great walk and I do hope you'll let us know about it when you finish. (I should talk--I'm still working on a blog of a long walk we did across southern England last summer!) Anyway, all the best and here's wishing you walker's blessings, i.e., no blisters!

Ken

#406300 - 04/04/14 01:51 PM Re: End2End Walk [Re: Chris Wright]
Chris Wright Offline

Ken,
I remember you as "Ken from Boston".I also recall you had Canadian roots either by birth or choice, or both!

Thanks for the encouragement. I am ageing a bit nowadays so know this attempt is likely now or never. I have not met lightweightmick but he lives just across the county line in Derbyshire not too far from Retford where my mother lives. He ia an amazing athlete and can run through the night on the C2C. I have run the Lyke Wake race (Osmotherley to Ravenscar) which is 43 miles long but that pushed me to my limit. LWM would keep on going!

Looks like the Canucks will not make the playoffs and a shake up is about to happen with management. It has been a very rough winter on the East Coast and throughout the country. Hope you guys in the West were spared somewhat.

Great to talk to you again. Cheers, Chris.

#406304 - 06/04/14 07:12 PM Re: End2End Walk [Re: Chris Wright]
Harland Online   content

Well one week to go before you arrive "home", the weather forecast doesn't look too bad unless you want some more snow.

UK Outlook for Friday 11 Apr 2014 to Sunday 20 Apr 2014:

Early rain will clear southern areas on Friday to leave a drier day with sunny spells and showers and staying breezy in the north with further rain later. This will move southwards through Saturday, weakening as it does so. Brighter, showery weather will follow to the north with rain clearing all areas on Sunday morning with sunny spells, showers and cooler temperatures following. By Monday, it turns drier and sunnier across southern areas, with rain and stronger winds in the north. Temperatures will be mostly near normal but rather warm in the south, although local frost is still possible. Thereafter, a north/south split in the weather looks likely, with southern areas enjoying the driest conditions with wetter and windier periods in the north.

UK Outlook for Monday 21 Apr 2014 to Monday 5 May 2014:

High pressure should retain a good deal of influence across the UK, with plenty of dry, and at times sunny weather, although the north and west may see spells of rain at times. Amounts of rainfall should generally be below average for many places too. By day, temperatures are likely to often be near or above average, so conditions are likely to feel quite pleasant in the sunshine. Nights, meanwhile, may be chilly with a touch of ground frost possible

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917