The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2891
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35982 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#406423 - 22/06/14 09:39 PM A few Munros
john57r Offline

My LDW plans have been decimated this year by business distractions and gouty feet haven't helped ( the doctors talked about planar fascistis as soon as I said I walked...)
Went on a weeks golfing trip with the lads to Scotland planned and paid for a year ago which managed to fit a rare window of opportunity.
As golf is not a strong point I managed to duck out for three days. Being solo I didn't have the nerve for too much adventure but managed Schiehallion, Ben Lawyers (and its neighbouring Munro on the way up)and then Creag Leagach and Glas Mol from the Devils Elbow in Glenshee on the third morning.
It was remarkably quiet on all of them being midweek unlike the Lakes in summer; and the boulder fields make you realise that one slip and you can be in trouble. On the same note, the first two days were boiling hot even at nearly 4000 feet but the third day required full waterproofs to keep the 65 mph wind out as the ridge was reached; could barely stand up on the boulders. Just added that bit of spice.
Haven't done much in Scotland and the above; plus the absence of well trod paths and the fact that all of them were higher than Sca Fell Pike made up a bit for no LDW in June.
I still prefer the lakes though..

#406424 - 23/06/14 07:38 PM Re: A few Munros [Re: john57r]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
Yeah, John, the Munro's have a more isolated feel about them than the Lakes where everything is much more compact. Of those you mention, I haven't done Schiehallion. Some years ago we had a three year burst of concentrating on the Munro's, and whilst one of my pals managed them all in that time, I completed 152 inc all the 4,000 foot'rs. I would like to do the remainder sometime, but keep getting distracted.
Dave.

#406425 - 23/06/14 10:13 PM Re: A few Munros [Re: john57r]
john57r Offline

Schiehallion was good. A mile long boulder field with no clear path once you got to the summit ridge; then a summit as big as a kitchen table. A genuine pyramid type shape. Hence they used it to calculate the weight of the Earth apparently.
Was going to do Macdui and Cairngorm but it was a bit of a drive from Blairgowrie.
Suppose it is a good thing that these isolated boulder fields make me a little nervous. Also I was glad that my feet; which had troubled me for the last couple of months began to behave. It is gout although for a while it seemed to be a bit more sinister as it was more widespread and longer lasting than attacks I had had in previous years.
I may do the PW in September if they feel ok and I can get free; salvage something from the year
Understand you have been struggling a bit?
John

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917