The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#406463 - 30/07/14 08:10 PM Taking my PF off for a sneaky!
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Call me mad, call me insane, tell me I have no chance and you would most probably be correct on all three counts.
However in complete contempt of this Plantar Fasciitis and at the risk of making it worse (Can it be worse!?)I just can't hold out any longer, so I'm off starting Friday, come what may.
I am completely prepared to abandon it at any point, even during day 1, but I just have to try.
I won't be going for any record, but will take it as it comes and how I feel.
Wish me luck!
Live Tracking for your amusement: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0eH342P1H57gpSYZmQsXX86duc2mEuagN
Dave

#406464 - 30/07/14 08:40 PM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: Slogger]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Good luck, looking forward to watching your progress.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

#406465 - 31/07/14 11:16 AM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Online   confused

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Ha ha, a coiled spring or what..? link looks good... thinking c2c as it's listed under same...
I'd considered doing some reccying of my new route, but would need to get a cat sitter in as the lady of the house has took herself off (Miss Saigon..?) 'darn sarf' and then there's bills to be paid - now via your link at least I got some decent weekend viewing!
Nice one Dave - 70% of your walks must've been in pain anyway I reckon..? 20% just plain agony perhaps? Leaving just 10% for starting out comfort...

#406466 - 31/07/14 11:00 PM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: Slogger]
Geo Offline

Loc: Oamaru, New Zealand
Good on you Dave. 'Break a leg' as they say...well maybe not smile

#406467 - 01/08/14 01:22 PM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: Geo]

Break a leg..? wink someone suggested I may have sustained a spiral fracture last year... I discounted that as I wasn't particularly applying any torsional force when the incident occurred - just felt as though I'd over-extended that left calf muscle... Did go with a crack though... soft tissue damage takes longer to heal (so I'm told) and maybe this is why my left leg still has a 1/2" bigger girth at calf than right leg.
I can so understand Dave's frustration... though I'm better than Dave at procrastinating where doctors are concerned.
Let's hope weather holds for Dave and he 'goes for it'!
Good luck Dave!

#406468 - 01/08/14 01:46 PM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: lightweightmick]

smile he's gone for it... up Loft Beck already... I thought he was travelling up tonight...

#406476 - 02/08/14 12:29 PM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: Slogger]
loftypurvis Offline

Loc: Hull
Im following this with awe !! He's almost at the end of Haweswater now and will be rounding the bend towards Shap... Phew !! I wouldnt even attempt to do it at this speed but boy have I got the Urge to do the C2C again! You bet I have !! Keep it up Dave !! But dont scare me too much... when you ran down into Patterdale I was worried sick, the GPS was going so fast lol !

#406477 - 02/08/14 10:26 PM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: loftypurvis]

I think maybe the PF has got the better of Dave... just before 7pm Orton - there's a big jump between points 49 & 50 and that last point is at the side of the road which is not really suitable for an overnight stop... hope I'm wrong though.
On the plus side that road isn't an obvious route back home for Dave either...

#406478 - 02/08/14 10:38 PM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: lightweightmick]

Scarside Farm B&B is just along that road. He could have rung for a lift maybe in need of a B&B to sort himself out... just a thought..? dunno...

#406479 - 02/08/14 10:42 PM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: lightweightmick]

Let's hope he's okay. I've had bad feet at Orton, yet still can't imagine what that would be like with PF all the way from St Bees...

#406480 - 03/08/14 05:37 AM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: Slogger]
loftypurvis Offline

0536 and hes still at Scarside Farm , 11 hours now. I think he has said " Enough is enough " :-(

#406481 - 03/08/14 01:49 PM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

Yeah, you are correct. Back home now. Wheels fell off badly, not the PF, which actually felt improved after Honister, not the atrocious weather, they fell off during the little initial ascent onto the cliff top at ST. Bees. They felt unusually tired for the three days prior to starting but I couldn't figure out why and thought they would be ok once I got going. Not to be, by the time I stopped they had been so painful (Quads) for a long, long way that I knew I would do some serious damage of I carried on.
Blog or detailed report to follow.
Dave

#406482 - 03/08/14 02:42 PM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: Slogger]

Bad luck Dave... you've got us all wound up now.
Was that 1st climb your first hill in a while?

#406483 - 03/08/14 04:04 PM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: Slogger]
loftypurvis Offline

Glad your home Slogger, watched you all the way once Mick showed me your link, was quite worried after you slowed down to a crawl when you came down to Haweswater, but it was better then watching the Grandprix! especially when you legged it down into Patterdale !! Could see you moving on screen ! Well done fella and a damn good try !!

#406484 - 03/08/14 07:02 PM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Offline

Originally Posted By: lightweightmick
Bad luck Dave... you've got us all wound up now.
Was that 1st climb your first hill in a while?

Thanks for all comments, I hope it kept you amused for a short while.
Mick, yeah first hill for a while, although my legs were not even happy walking to the B&B from the train station. I am suspecting the problem may have been due to wearing my new orthotics in my work shoes the week before. I don't think they are right. Left (good foot) foot I have no problem with feel uncomfortable with them as the arch support feels excessive, and the right one (PF foot) is also built up for arch support which makes my already Supinating foot, supinate even more placing even more pressure on the outer edge. Anyway that's all I can put it down to at the moment. On a positive note, when Ive recovered in about 4 - 6 weeks time I'll probably be flying!

#406485 - 03/08/14 07:51 PM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: Slogger]

no doubt you will with your track record lol
sounds like a combination of things... hope you get sorted soon mate!

#406486 - 03/08/14 10:40 PM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: Slogger]
Geo Offline

Loc: Oamaru, New Zealand
Commiserations Dave. Was interesting following your 'Spot' progress. Hard luck. Can imagine the frustration of being 'hobbled' by the bod when the mind is wanting to go for it!
George

#406487 - 04/08/14 11:02 AM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: Geo]
Slogger Offline

Originally Posted By: Geo
Commiserations Dave. Was interesting following your 'Spot' progress. Hard luck. Can imagine the frustration of being 'hobbled' by the bod when the mind is wanting to go for it!
George

Cheers George, my head was saying stop early on, but my heart wouldn't have it. Eventually my head won.
It all adds to the experience.
Dave.

#406488 - 04/08/14 02:03 PM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: Slogger]

as the PF improved enroute you might want to rethink the orthotics Dave..? Doing more harm than good perhaps?

#406489 - 04/08/14 07:37 PM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

Strange thing this PF, I'm getting the feeling that it is not going to go away altogether and will be something I will just have to manage.
I have a heel varus which Ive known about for years and a slight forefoot valgus. In other words my foot has slightly tilted over to the outside. Thats in the non weight baring position. As soon as I stand, all investigation, tests, gait tests etc are normal. So why do they insist on orthotics, I just don't get it, but after all the reading and research that Ive done, it seems to me that most of the foot/orthopedic people are simply following whats always been thought. The truth is not very much is known about the condition, like many other things.
I'm going to go back to trying Orange Superfeet which will give my foot arch some support without trying to bend my foot this way and that way.
If things go well, I will be making another foray late September. I don't know where yet, but if I ever do attempt a fast C2C again it will be E - W.
Come on Mick -you know you want to..................when?
Dave.

#406491 - 04/08/14 09:53 PM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: Slogger]
suffolk stroller Offline

Just a thought Dave, and even as I'm typing it I'm thinking it's a ridiculous question to ask you , but have you ever thought of doing the C2C at the speed us mere mortals walk it?!

#406492 - 05/08/14 07:21 PM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

Speed? I have only ran part of the C2C last August when I completed a shortened route in 3 day 15 hours all other trips have been pure walking. I just go at what feels my natural pace without rushing, but I don't linger or make many stops maybe a couple each day. I get the miles in because I have good endurance and walk and walk from before sunrise (My favourite walking time)to Dusk (My second favourite walking time).
I have done many walks previously in' normal' time, e.g:-
West Highland Way 95 miles - 7 days.
Dales Way 84 miles - 8 days.
Offas Dyke 176 miles - 11 days.
I don't like leaving my wife for too long due to her health issues, so I try and spend as little time as possible on trips, plus I just love high daily mileage - I'm an addict!
Dave.

#406493 - 05/08/14 08:58 PM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: Slogger]

Had all gone to plan I would have had something to report around Easter... sadly it didn't, and my 2nd training session of last year started September and ended November when I'd got back up to 10-12 milers. My left leg just hadn't had enough time off... so we'll see how it goes this year. Hopefully the girth difference is due to scar tissue...
As you know I like to prepare well (6 months ideally) so time will tell Dave

#406494 - 05/08/14 11:03 PM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Offline

Preparation!? You are right Mick. This latest trip has brought that home to me for sure. I have always got away with it before - not doing much in the way of specific training. However having done nothing more than three 20 mile painful walks since March, this trip made me realise just hard the 5 day attempt is if you not right there on your metal.
Dave.

#406495 - 06/08/14 02:02 PM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: Slogger]

I'm itching to get that SPOT registered Dave... I've had it out of the box... switched it on and sat watching the green light flash... sad I know. Looks like reg fee will be 110 to include tracking at present... ha ha, I got exactly that in my wallet, but that's toward gas bill...
I'd planned on registering it in the new year as my training mileage increased - hopefully it'll be on my Chrimbo list this year. C'mon left leg!

#406496 - 06/08/14 07:50 PM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

If you don't you could always borrow mine for an attempt, so I can follow you.
Dave.

#406497 - 06/08/14 10:55 PM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: Slogger]

That's a very civil offer Dave!
I'm the poorest member of my family... they were all geared up to club up for the subscription last Christmas for me, but my attention had turned to tools, so that's what I got lol - Plan was then for birthday and so on.. I either get cider making stuff, walking stuff or tools depending on which 'head' I've got on lol - they're very good - can't fault 'em

#406524 - 30/08/14 06:00 PM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

Around 10 days to go on the decorating front now, and then a week taking it relatively easy (depending on work) then I may get to bury the ghost of my miserable last attempt. Legs at the moment still not up to it, never mind the PF (now awaiting the call for 'Shockwave' treatment).
However with being unable to rest the legs due to work and decorating, they surely must, with some rest, be in better order than last time, won't they!?
Dave.

#406526 - 31/08/14 11:52 AM Re: Taking my PF off for a sneaky! [Re: Slogger]

Dave - have 5 mins off the decorating - apologies for poor quality again...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917