The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#406501 - 12/08/14 05:46 AM Just over a week to go until my first C2C
Redlesweb Offline

Loc: London & Glasgow
So after many years of putting it off and choosing other LDPs over the C2C, in just over a week we finally set off on what looks like an epic trail. After a year of recovery from quite bad spinal injuries, lots of physio and acupuncture later, I almost feel ready - hooray!! Any last minute tips from anyone? Best stops for tea, best pint, best rest spots to take stock? Cheers folks

#406502 - 12/08/14 11:50 AM Re: Just over a week to go until my first C2C [Re: Redlesweb]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Great news and good luck! Do let us know how you get on and where you find best cup of tea (and pint...) sounds like you deserve it!
all the best
mick

#406503 - 12/08/14 09:18 PM Re: Just over a week to go until my first C2C [Re: Redlesweb]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Fantastic, it's a great route. Last minute tip - Enjoy!
Dave.

#406506 - 16/08/14 08:05 AM Re: Just over a week to go until my first C2C [Re: Redlesweb]
Redlesweb Offline

Thank you smile Super excited. I'll take that tip on laugh

#406509 - 19/08/14 10:37 PM Re: Just over a week to go until my first C2C [Re: Redlesweb]
suffolk stroller Offline

Hope this catches you before you leave. Can recommend some places for a good cuppa. Black Sail youth hostel was a godsend, it was a day of torrential rain the worst of our walk. It was packed with lots of C2Cers. You can make yourself a cup of tea and put some money in the pot. Be warned you can't use their loo though!
Ravenseat Farm (featured on Julia Bradburys C2C) does wonderful scones and hot choc. It's just before Keld. Not open all the time though,just when there's someone home.
There was also some tea rooms in Marske we stopped at, can't remember the name. We sat out in the gardens with some other C2Cers we were walking with that day. If you're staying in B&Bs it's likely that some of them will offer you home made cake when you arrive as well!
Another tip, be prepared to change your route according to the weather. We had planned the low route to Grasmere but after such a wet misty day previously we decided to do the high route as it was a glorious day. And vice versa from Keld to Reeth.
Have a great time, it's one of the best things we've ever done.

#406512 - 21/08/14 08:37 AM Re: Just over a week to go until my first C2C [Re: Redlesweb]
Redlesweb Offline

Fantastic, thanks Suffolk Stroller!! I'll take up these recommendations. The forecast is looking volatile at the moment but we all know how quickly that can change. Fingers crossed we have some settled days laugh.

2 days to go. Can't wait!!

#406513 - 21/08/14 11:51 AM Re: Just over a week to go until my first C2C [Re: Redlesweb]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
If it's chucking it down after Catterick Bridge, and you need a little respite, you could head for Ellerton Fm shop and Cafe. Instead of taking a left onto Flat Lane for Brompton on Swale keep st. on and follow the lane as it curves round to left (Back Lane) and keep right (where track joins road @ Bolton Cross) for Ellerton North Fm.
To get back on route, exit shop site, turn right up lane to cross B road (Ellerton Cross) - rejoin route before Ellerton Hill.
grid ref is: SE257979

http://www.thelakesidefarmshop.co.uk/index.php

Have a great trip!

#406518 - 21/08/14 06:45 PM Re: Just over a week to go until my first C2C [Re: Redlesweb]
Redlesweb Offline

Thank you so much. Another great recommendation. Eeeeh, feel like I'm counting the hours now laugh

#406521 - 23/08/14 10:56 PM Re: Just over a week to go until my first C2C [Re: Redlesweb]
Howie Offline

Loc: Cumbria
When I did the Coast To Coast in June we called in to see Amanda Owen at Ravenseat Farm just before Keld and had one of her cream teas and the scones were absolutely delicious, she has also recently brought out a book about her life in Huddersfield to how she ended up at Ravenseat Farm, a highly reccommended read.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917