The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2884
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1678
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3451 Topics
35942 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#406516 - 21/08/14 03:37 PM Which is the best Guide?
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
Hi, I am walking the Cleveland Way next year and just had a couple of questions.

1) Which do people recommend as being the best Guide Book?
2) When do you think the best time would be to do it?
3) Do you meet many cows en route...I have a dog and always bear this in mind.
4) Do you find most B&B's will take your luggage on or does one have to rely on a baggage Service if you don't want to carry your own?

Thank you.

#406517 - 21/08/14 05:09 PM Re: Which is the best Guide? [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
I don't know if it is the best Guide Book but I used The Cicerone Guide - The Cleveland Way and The Yorkshire Wolds Way by Paddy Dillon which was fine.

I walked it in May but I guess that later in the year may be better when the heather will be in full bloom. As far as animals are concerned there were a few racing horse riding stables near Sutton Bank. I even frightened the horses and their jockeys to such an extent they had to turn round and go back - I was standing still and hiding my walking pole at the time - don't think I'll put my money on them! There was a field with a few cows shortly after leaving Osmotherley. To be honest after that I really can't remember any more cows. I carry all my "stuff" so can't advise you on the later query. If you have time add the Yorkshire Wolds Way to your walk, it was surprisingly good - much better than I anticipated.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: Land's End to John o'Groats in stages 2018.

#406519 - 22/08/14 10:56 AM Re: Which is the best Guide? [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Thanks Harland. Are you really that scary to look at...poor horses? I have done the Wolds Way many many years ago. I can't even remember much about it except that it was lovely easy strolling through pretty countryside. I might do it again some time.

#406520 - 22/08/14 07:40 PM Re: Which is the best Guide? [Re: Janice & Rottie]
MIKE M Offline

welcome back JANICE nice to see u walking again
MIKE M

#406523 - 25/08/14 06:04 PM Re: Which is the best Guide? [Re: MIKE M]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Hi Mike, I've never really stopped walking. My consultant said I would only ever get 1/2 way up a mountain whilst I was on chemo.....hmmm....I climbed to the top of different ones every three weeks. But walking every day for a number of days was something I didn't know whether I was capable of any more, nor did I know if my new dog was up to it. Needn't have worried on either score. Thank you for the welcome back...that was nice.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917