The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#406575 - 22/09/14 09:35 PM Re: off we go again. [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
ha ha, tried mine out today... wouldn't get GPS signal in house and seems to take ages outside to find satellites. At least I've learnt that when the 2 LED's flash out of sync there's no signal. It seems holding down the 'OK tick' button for 5 seconds switches on/off tracking..? (shows red when switching off...)

#406576 - 23/09/14 08:52 AM Re: off we go again. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Sussed out what happened, I forgot to set it to allow viewing of 'messages'. 'Messages are the 'locations' the balloon positions on Google maps.
Yes Mick for 'Tracking' after pressing the on button and it flashes, you press the OK button and that light comes on. You continue to press it until that light goes out (approx 5 seconds) it will then start searching fir satellites. Sometimes it gets them almost right away other times it can take up to 30 minutes. When it loses the signal, in heavy forest, tunnels in building etc, the on light flashes intermittently, but will begin searching again, once out in the open, until it relocates the satellites.
In the Trial, I left it outside on the decking.
Dave.

#406577 - 23/09/14 08:33 PM Re: off we go again. [Re: Slogger]
Howie Offline

Loc: Cumbria
Mick, I think the bloke I passed finishing off the Coast to Coast East to West was just footloose, he said he just camped, used the odd bothie and the odd B&B when he was on the move,but when he was not on the move he stayed with his niece.

#406578 - 23/09/14 09:27 PM Re: off we go again. [Re: Slogger]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Although slightly different it reminded me of a note I wrote in one of my journals a few years ago:-

I remember seeing a "gentleman of the road", more commonly called "a tramp", at the end of my road some years ago sitting on the grass patch just resting. At the time I thought about him as I had seen him over the other side of the Pennines a year or so previously near Preston. He was somewhat unkempt with long grey hair and a long beard. By the look of it he had quite a few overcoats on despite the weather, however he looked a nice old man. I always wished that I had stopped and had a chat but I was in a rush to get somewhere in the car. Such a different life to mine at the time but I must admit to thinking that he had a very uncluttered and simple albeit, in my terms, a hard life. I hope that he was happy but I did, I think, envy the free life he had to go whenever and wherever he wanted by foot. Perhaps the enjoyment I get out of long distance walking has something to do with those thoughts.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

#406579 - 24/09/14 10:51 AM Re: off we go again. [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

Loc: hertfordshire
Sorry to hear about the blisters Dave, but as you say it was a great 2.5 days walk to get that far.

Are you still wearing the Hedgehogs ? I got a new pair recently, the latest spec which is lighter than before but to me they dont seem as comfortable under foot, less cushioning.
Pity as I really like they previous ones.

#406580 - 24/09/14 04:29 PM Re: off we go again. [Re: Les + Heidi]
Slogger Offline

Originally Posted By: Les + Heidi
Sorry to hear about the blisters Dave, but as you say it was a great 2.5 days walk to get that far.

Are you still wearing the Hedgehogs ? I got a new pair recently, the latest spec which is lighter than before but to me they dont seem as comfortable under foot, less cushioning.
Pity as I really like they previous ones.

Hi Les & Heidi,
Yes I wore my red Hedgehogs which I wore during both Spine races with Sorbothane double strike insoles. No blisters at all during the Spine(s). These were not surface friction blisters but deep ball of foot ones caused by deep sheer forces beneath metatarsal heads. I think this time, especially as they started to manifest so early on, was wrong sock choice, which gave my feet too much room to move about inside combined with the heat of day and moving at an average 3.5 mph as far as Black Sail. Ive always found on the long distance ones that if I average 3 mph I am prone to blisters forming whereas at 2.5 mph I am not. No heel blisters though.
I am going to get anew pair of hedgehogs soon but will inspect first due to your comments, cheers.
Did you get to do your C2C?
Dave.

#406582 - 25/09/14 03:48 PM Re: off we go again. [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

Hi Dave
Work got in the way of the C2C Im afraid so its deferred for the time being, we've had a few nice weekends away this year (Derbyshire, Exmore and Dartmoor) on top of our local stuff in the Chilterns but no multi-day walks Im afraid.
Will be interested in your view on the new hedgehogs, they are noticeably lighter but I can feel the stones through them more than the previous model. I use green superfeet with mine though which are getting on a bit so maybe its those that have degraded. I can't really get the double strikes inside and still have the volume to avoid rubbing on the tops of my toes.
Les

#406583 - 25/09/14 07:08 PM Re: off we go again. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

I get mine (for distance walking) a full size bigger than normal and my normal size is at the roomy end. I don't like, or I should say my feet don't like anything near tight or confined. They complain even if my socks are on the close fitting side. hence my shoes are always slightly loose. Ive run and walked for years in loose shoes, on road and over the fells. The only time Ive tightened them up was for XC racing.
That's how I made my error with the socks. They were too thin and my feet were slopping about in the shoes, I'll have to get a few more pairs of Thorlo Treckers, my favourite. Problem is I always place a Compeed under the ball of foot and this ruins the socks.
This last time I also taped over the Compeed but somehow they moved to the side of my feet and still got the socks gooey.
Good to hear you got out even if not C2C.
Dave.

#406616 - 06/10/14 01:55 PM Re: off we go again. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

Hi Les & Heidi,
Ive just purchased another pair of Hedghogs. As you say Les, lighter in weight, however the Vibram sole remains unchanged. I will have to get a new pair of Sorbothane D/S to go with them.
Dave.

#406619 - 12/10/14 03:43 PM Re: off we go again. [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

Maybe its me Dave, the cushioning doesnt seen as good, I can feel stones underfoot more. I use green superfeet in mine though so maybe they have seen better days and are causing the problem.
Les

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917