The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35984 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#406654 - 31/10/14 05:59 PM Sealskinz Socks
Alan F Offline

Loc: Reading
Just considering buying a pair of the waterproof Sealskinz Socks.
Can anyone recommend these,or are they prone to leakage?
I'm happy to wear Goretex trainers in winter, but in summer they just make my feet too hot and sweaty,promoting blisters.
I thought that using a preferred pair of normal trainers in summer, with a pair of Sealskinz's for wet days and heavy dew mornings would work better.
Any thoughts?

#406655 - 31/10/14 11:55 PM Re: Sealskinz Socks [Re: Alan F]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
not sure this will be much help...
I carried a pair on last year's c2c and never used 'em. I changed into an earlier pair on the 2010 attempt at that roofless barn before Ravenseat (going E-W) and left 'em on for far too long, which no doubt contributed to earlier bisters (as tended in the bus shelter in Shap)
'Wet days' tends to suggest intending wearing a pair all day. May be okay in the colder months... My 1st pair soon developed a leak, which left me with one wet foot anyway and if water gets over the top they balloon out as the water can't get out. Not sure I'll bother with them on my next c2c - just go with the wet feet as last year - they soon dry out. I think you need to be extra careful with bits of grit in your shoes too. Just thoughts really... I would imagine they come into their own in snow, but I've never had any long enough to find out. As noted, 1st pair leaked and 2nd pair are lost - unused at that!
re the Goretex shoes - I agree too warm is not good. It's like all this 'breathable' stuff. There is a big gap between what we expect and what it actually does.

#406656 - 02/11/14 01:10 PM Re: Sealskinz Socks [Re: Alan F]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
I take them on my multi-day walks and only used them when my boots started to leak when walking Offa's Dyke (I bought them after walking the SWCP when a previous pair of boots started to leak - I tried putting my feet in plastic bags but that didn't work very well!). I used them for 3 days on Offa's Dyke and they kept my feet dry. At the end of the day I had to pour water out of my boots and the socks were obviously soaking wet on the outside but my feet were nice and dry. So I would say give them a try; I've also got the Sealskinz gloves that also work well.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: Land's End to John o'Groats in stages 2018.

#406662 - 05/11/14 08:15 PM Re: Sealskinz Socks [Re: Alan F]
Les + Heidi Offline

Loc: hertfordshire
I'm debating the exact same thing as Alan. Have been googling all sorts of articles and I've noticed that over in the US in particular the vast majority of 'through hikers' just use non gortex beathable shoes and just let them dry as they walk, most claim this happens quickly if the shoes are very breathable. I've never tried this approach but may give it a go myself.

#406666 - 07/11/14 06:55 PM Re: Sealskinz Socks [Re: Alan F]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
Ive several pairs of Sealskinz socks, also a pair of Goretex ones.
They work very well, however if raining you still have to wear the usual, over-trousers and Gaiters. As said, they are no good if rain or stream gets in over the top.
Be careful with their sizing. I take a normal shoe size of 9.5 to 10, but with Sealskinz I have to go to Extra Large, or they are too tight at the toes. Mind I do like plenty of room in the toe box.
Dave.

#406675 - 13/11/14 09:24 PM Re: Sealskinz Socks [Re: Alan F]
Alan F Offline

Loc: Reading
Ok Thanks each for your help and advice.
General opinion seems to be favourable,so I'll buy a pair shortly.
Back running again now at last after injury, so maybe I'll give them a try out on a winter cross country race!

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917