The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2891
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35982 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#406659 - 04/11/14 12:49 PM Planning your own route..?
lightweightmick Online   confused

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
...think again!
on planning my next venture, I've come up against a technical issue which may well result in 'planned trespass' or a section of 'risk life and death' on a busy main road. Can't say where it is for ruining the Corrie effect* with new planned SPOT device, however it's a serious problem and it's only going to get worse:

http://www.lakeland-walker.com/news/2012/11/council-footpath-cuts-threaten-access-public-healt.html

* Corrie effect - seeing Dave's adventures unfold via the SPOT tracker - being better than Coronation Street (that being a tongue in cheeck reference of course lol)

#406661 - 05/11/14 08:03 PM Re: Planning your own route..? [Re: lightweightmick]
Les + Heidi Offline

Loc: hertfordshire
I live in Herts and am staggered that our county are cutting the budget by 904K per annum, god knows how much they were spending before the cuts and what on. I wonder what changes we'll see next year once this all kicks in

#406663 - 05/11/14 09:13 PM Re: Planning your own route..? [Re: lightweightmick]
Geo Offline

Loc: Oamaru, New Zealand
In the UK, if a council ceases maintenance on a particular track, or if it ceases to be used over a fixed period of time, does this legally put a 'right of way' off limits to the public? Was just wondering that if there are local hiking or walking clubs in these areas then maybe each could organise something amongst themselves to keep their own sector clear. Be a shame if the UK track network starts shrinking. Here in NZ we have vast areas that the public can disappear into (sometimes literally!)but they can be bounded by farmland, homesteads or Maori land that make access not so convenient as you'd think it would be. One of the things I liked about the UK were the numerous 'rights of way' that existed, enabling passage across private land. For all its population it was often easier to get from A to B in a more or less direct line than here in NZ. (putting aside the topography of both countries)
Geo.

#406664 - 07/11/14 11:01 AM Re: Planning your own route..? [Re: Geo]
lightweightmick Online   confused

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Hi George, in the UK we've got till 2026 to establish once and for all where rights of way are. If not recorded as such, then after 2026, there can be no further claims as to whether a RoW exists or not. There are many cases where landowners refute the existence of a path which may not have been used for many years.
It would be great if interested parties could organise the maintenace and care of a particular stretch of path - a kind of 'neighbourhood watch' for footpaths - though I could see this meeting resistance from farmers and landowners... imagine the confrontation - turning up with a strimmer uninsured!
Historically many paths have religious backgrounds - ie. 'mass routes' and 'corpse roads' where people made their way too and from churches, abbeys etc. Many others, 'Jaggers routes' were the early HGV delivery routes, and of course others used by farm labourers and folk just going about their daily business in days gone by just getting from A to B. Farmers and their landowners today would view footpaths very differently if they had to rely on workers arriving on foot still! And those that 'cotton on' the to the tourist trade soon alter their views on public access as there is more money per acre to be made out of the Leisure Industry these days...
cheers
mick

#406665 - 07/11/14 06:45 PM Re: Planning your own route..? [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
I think that the cuts in budget, will mainly just mean that Gates, Stiles and Signage will not be maintained as they have been. In my neck of the woods, our local ROW's are either well worn or hardly visible if at all on the ground. In other words apart from the Stiles, Gates and Signage not maintained at all, except by passing feet.
Dave.

#406807 - 16/03/15 07:55 PM Re: Planning your own route..? [Re: Slogger]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england

Hi George,
good to see you posting again.
Re PROW (public rights of way( once they are on the definitive map, they are classed as highways and as such, it is the duties of the County Councils to maintain them at public expense.
or reimburse the district or parish council for it's maintenance of publicly maintainable footpaths and bridleways.
last year after an eighteen month battle with our parish council I finally got them to admit they were responsible for cutting all the vegetation on the paths and making sure the paths were walkable.

At this time one is under going some trouble as the farmer has taken some drainage pipes up and created an open ditch,
I have feeling they maybe trying to close it or divert it down a lane.
This I do not want as the lane is busy with heavy tractors and trailers.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917