The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2891
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35982 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#406682 - 27/11/14 06:26 PM Headtorch thoughts..?
lightweightmick Online   confused

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
As I'm looking for a new headtorch, I thought I'd post on here in an attempt to get some feedback.
My current models, both used for Coast to Coast and other outings, are both Petzl models - the Zipka2 (70gms), and as used last c2c the MyoXP. I also have the old Zoom but this is too heavy at 285gms with batteries.

Here's what I'm looking for:
1) under 100gms
2) must have 'lock off' capability (ie. cannot be accidentally sw'd on)
3) must be compact (ie. not like Myo)

I'm looking along the lines of the Princeton Tec Vizz, Petzl Tikka XP or even Fenix HL50.

Any thoughts welcome...
cheers
lwm

#406684 - 03/12/14 05:39 PM Re: Headtorch thoughts..? [Re: lightweightmick]
Les + Heidi Offline

Loc: hertfordshire
Hi Mick
Im not sure if it meets all your requirements but Coltswold stock a LED Lensor 'Neo' head torch that looks pretty good.
Its only 88g, maybe worth a look ?
Les

#406686 - 05/12/14 11:15 AM Re: Headtorch thoughts..? [Re: Les + Heidi]

Hi Les,
that is certainly light at 54gms without batteries - doesn't say whether it's lithium compatible - just asked via their online enquiry box here
cheers, thanks for that - this is one I'd not looked at yet and a good make - their H7 is well respected it appears

#406688 - 08/12/14 10:56 AM Re: Headtorch thoughts..? [Re: lightweightmick]
Les + Heidi Offline

Hi Mick
Let us know what you decide on and how it goes. I have a Petzel one and its good but relatively 'heavy' for something I take in the pack but rarely use, its a just incase item for me so Im looking at getting something lighter myself for next summer
Les

#406690 - 08/12/14 07:07 PM Re: Headtorch thoughts..? [Re: Les + Heidi]

Hi Les - I love the old 'Zoom' and it would be great with a 100 lumen LED upgrade bulb - still too heavy mind. Be good for weekend use though. Petzl Micro looks good too (with the LED bulb) but still too heavy by today's standards.
I'll keep you posted mate.

#406691 - 09/12/14 02:47 PM Re: Headtorch thoughts..? [Re: lightweightmick]
Les + Heidi Offline

cheers Mick

#406692 - 13/12/14 04:53 PM Re: Headtorch thoughts..? [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
During last years Spine, I was well aware that other competitors had headtorches with a much more powerful beam than my Petzl Myo RXP. This started my search for my perfect headtorch. Although my requirements were not identical to what Mick is looking for.
I needed one which had a beam similar to my old Petzl Mega Zoom.
Had to be rechargeable and with a back of head battery pack.
A top of head band.
Ability to switch from rechargeable to normal AA batteries.
Had to have spare long cable, so's battery pack could be removed from head band and placed in pocket.
At first I purchased Black Diamond Storm which was a good light at 200 lumens, however I also discovered that when moving fast, units that carry the batteries in the light itself without a separate holder, bounce annoyingly up and down on the forehead.
Other consideration were Lensor and various predictive lighting ones, however I wanted full control, so those were discounted.
Eventually I received a good tip from a member of the Spine team with mega mountain, fell and country walking and climbing experience, 'The Suprabeam'. I got one inc spare Lithium rechargeable battery, extension cable, and separate AA battery holder. Wasn't cheap at 168.. altogether, but after a couple of uses inc a 14 miler along the PW last night, brilliant absolutely brilliant is what I say. The beam is so powerful and is as good as my old Mega Zoom, made the two guys that I was with lights beam look like a waste of time, they were using my the beam off my light too!
http://www.suprabeam.com/uk/products/v3r
Dave.

#406693 - 13/12/14 04:56 PM Re: Headtorch thoughts..? [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Online   content

Meant to say that the units that carry the batteries in the light itself and 'without a top headband', bounce about.
Dave.

#406697 - 15/12/14 02:32 PM Re: Headtorch thoughts..? [Re: Slogger]

just ordered this one Dave.
Looks like a non rechargeable version of yours. Too heavy for what I'm wanting but will use it for my training in the dark - which usually means around 2hrs on h/lamp on Sundays,
cheers
mick

#406698 - 15/12/14 08:20 PM Re: Headtorch thoughts..? [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Online   content

Yes mick it is the non rechargable version of mine at a super price. Just looked and mine is now available at 35.. less than what I paid, I should have waited!
I think you are going to be delighted with it, excellent build, just got to b careful if wearing a peaked cap with it. The button is underneath and easily switched off if it catches on the peak, apart from that absolutely brilliant. Yours is up to 250 lumens, which is the same as mine, minus the booster.
The separate normal battery holder was actually taken from a V3 as they don't do one specifically as an option for the V3r, but coincidentally the guy at where I got it from online, did the Spine last time, and had read my blog about the first one that I did for his preparation.
Prepare to be 'Beaming'!
Dave.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917