The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2891
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35982 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#406701 - 18/12/14 10:36 AM Re: Headtorch thoughts..? [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Online   confused

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Thanks for the info Dave - are any of your mates using lithium AAA batteries in the standard battery packs do you know?

Torch Direct have the V3r at sale price... just 2 left - don't look though, argh!!

#406702 - 19/12/14 03:33 PM Re: Headtorch thoughts..? [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
I don't know anyone else apart from you that is using this headtorch, apart from the member of the Spine team who rec'd it. The extra battery pack that I have takes AA Lithium batteries, as they claimed the AAA pack wouldn't be suitable as the performance would be too compromised.
Dave.

#406712 - 05/01/15 05:43 PM Re: Headtorch thoughts..? [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Online   content

In preparation for the forthcoming Spine race, I have just tested the 'Suprabeam' to see how long the re-chargeable battery lasts.
I switched it on for an evening walk on Saturday at 4.45pm and set it to a similar output as the Petzl Myo RXP. I did the walk and left it on that setting, remaining switched on. About half an hour ago I got fed up of waiting for it to run out so changed it 'Boost' a full 300 lumen. It finally gave up on that a few minutes later, but continued to give light on the earlier setting. I switched it off an now have it on charge. It lasted 48 hours on that setting and still wasn't quite finished. Of course with cooler temps outdoors it wouldn't last as long, but then I do have the longer lead to allow me to place the battery in a pocket, so well pleased.
Dave.

#406725 - 08/01/15 01:55 PM Re: Headtorch thoughts..? [Re: Slogger]

Mine doesn't have a 'lock-off' function Dave, does yours?
The Myo at least does have (mechanical - ie. sw is covered) a lock-off function. Because the Supra comes recommended I was assuming it would have lock-off...
not a good feature on multi-dayers
otherwise, yep it's bright, and the zoom is a neat function but I don't like that 'ring effect' and lack of peripheral illumination... jury's still out lol
Good look for the weekend mate though - will be following progress,
cheers
mick

#406793 - 05/03/15 01:56 AM Re: Headtorch thoughts..? [Re: lightweightmick]

meant to say 'luck' there of course...

As it turns out I've been unplugging the lamp unit as lock-off.

Two points worth noting if this method is adopted:
1) plug it back in before it gets too dark as the locating red spot can't be seen in the dark (which determines right way round for correct fit) - it only fits one way round but it's damn fiddly.
2) be sure NOT to catch the ON/OFF button when plugging in as you won't be able to see anything at all for quite a while after!! Better to make sure light is pointing away from your eyes!

#406794 - 05/03/15 07:30 PM Re: Headtorch thoughts..? [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Online   content

I was using the unplug method during the Spine, at least you can do that with this unit.
The 'r' unit doesn't really need a lock off as such, unless your are storing it in the sack really tight against something because there is a couple of seconds delay after pressing the switch before the light comes on, so an accidental touch won't do anything. Best to unplug though, and I know what you mean re locating it.
I didn't really notice the 'ring' effect, as I had the beam quite narrow and that does away completely with inner 'ring' although the wide outer one is still present, I wasn't aware of it.

#406799 - 05/03/15 11:41 PM Re: Headtorch thoughts..? [Re: Slogger]

I don't notice it as much now Dave, but in certain conditions it seems to draw your attention away at times... hard to describe really... certainly quite a bit brighter though

#406800 - 06/03/15 06:44 PM Re: Headtorch thoughts..? [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Online   content

The 'halo' effect is really weird when distance walking during the dark hours. I have experienced on numerous occasions the 'enclosed' feeling. Last year walking across the vast expanse of bog after Tan Hill, alone at night. I was convinced that I had passed through a densely wooded area, the same thing again this year dropping off Great Shunner fell. In fact there are no trees anywhere near! It's just the lit up area you are focusing on surrounded by blackness.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917