The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#406731 - 13/01/15 04:20 PM Walls or just boundaries?
DodgeyKnee Online   content

Loc: London
Hello all you knowledgeable people,

I'm lining up a C2C this Summer and I have read that the area around Greenup Edge / Brownrigg Moss is can be a little difficult to navigate.

A question if you don't mind.

Looking at the OS 1:25000, are there real walls or fences coinciding with parish and UA boundaries at the footpath junctions at NY 285 105 & NY 295 102, or is that just wishful thinking?

I didn't make it this far on my first attempt, see.

Thanks,

Mike

Can't wait for Summer!

#406736 - 13/01/15 10:27 PM Re: Walls or just boundaries? [Re: DodgeyKnee]
john57r Offline

Not checked the exact map refs you mention but if its where I think you mean there are metal fence posts. If you want to cut the corner and go down Steel Fell and up Raise beck to Grizedale Tarn you can roughly follow these posts

John

#406737 - 13/01/15 10:27 PM Re: Walls or just boundaries? [Re: DodgeyKnee]
john57r Offline

no wire...

#406740 - 14/01/15 04:05 PM Re: Walls or just boundaries? [Re: john57r]

Thanks John, I'll keep a look out...

Sorry, I have another question: Is there physically a path that links Oddendale to Robin Hoods Grave? Or would I just follow the wall.

Thanks,

Mike

#406741 - 14/01/15 06:59 PM Re: Walls or just boundaries? [Re: DodgeyKnee]
john57r Offline

A path of sorts. Basically you walk SSE across rough pasture and aim for the southern end of a small tree plantation. From there you climb west up a slope at the top of which you will see the wall in question. You walk diagonally across to it joining at a point where it turns east. Follow it to RHG ( what there is of it)

#406743 - 15/01/15 02:05 PM Re: Walls or just boundaries? [Re: DodgeyKnee]
lightweightmick Online   confused

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Dodgy Knee, not sure if this will help much, but my vid shows that fence (with sheep netting) at Steel Fell summit and crossing the boggy ground enroute to Greenup Edge (from 7:50) - recce vid - remembering I'm going E-W here. As I recall the fence at your 1st ref on Greenup Edge is just a post - just keep ahead here (don't go left!) - I'm thinking you probably will just want to keep ahead for descent into far Easdale - which is pretty obvious after skirting the bog. If your knee is as your posting ID suggests I wouldn't recommend the descent of Steel Fell! - though the line of fence is easy to follow if you do go that way and you need to bear left for Calf Crag if intending on Helm Crag. In mist it took me ages to get from Gibson Knott to Greenup Edge on my first attempt!
cheers
mick
NB. that you tube vid is now banned in some countries due to the opening music

#406744 - 15/01/15 02:23 PM Re: Walls or just boundaries? [Re: lightweightmick]

Re RHG - once you hit the path that follows the wall Robin Hood's Grave is off to your right about 800yds up a dry valley - you can't miss it - it's just a pile of stones - nevertheless you can stand and ponder the legend - imagining the flight of that last arrow... you can retrace your steps back to the wall or continue up the dry valley leading to a delightful path through the heather to the road and over fields down into Orton.
Yeah, roll on summer!

#406761 - 21/01/15 01:05 PM Re: Walls or just boundaries? [Re: DodgeyKnee]

Thanks for the help, guys

Mick - the weather looks a bit claggy. Was this for the 5-dayer that you've kept us entertained with?

Mike

#406764 - 25/01/15 02:41 PM Re: Walls or just boundaries? [Re: DodgeyKnee]

Mike, yes this was after the 2nd 5 day attempt which only got me to Lordstones! I decided to recce each section, which were as follows: alone using small car (towed) and camper for NYM section.
With support from a CL near Richmond, being dropped at IngX, met at Richmond with some lunch and picked up at finish at Surrender Bridge.
Again with support (cost me a weekend for 2 in Blackpool to secure this one lol!) - dropped early doors at Surrender Bridge, met at Kirkby Stephen with some lunch and a layby just outside Orton (where she was pestered by a guy in a car assuming she was looking for 'business'...) and collected at Shap - not a happy bunny...
Then alone with car and van for the last 2 days through the lakes as detailed here:
http://fivedayc2c.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/final-recce-weekend.html

Thing is, when it came to the next attempt, I was pretty done-for at Shap and only made it to Grisedale tarn anyway...

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917