The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2891
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35982 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#406974 - 10/08/15 08:38 PM C2C3
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
Yup. I is back.
Myself and my erstwhile walking buddy Dave "Passportoue" Kite are heading back to the beginning.
We shall be partaking of the delights of AW's little Northern amble, starting on the 5th Anniversary of our first trek.
We managed it again in 2013 at the leisurely pace of 13 days, and are planning a similar timescale,
unless we get to feeling fit.And may even attempt it in 10...but don't hold your breath.
We may even manage it without getting lost. But only if I hide the maps from Dave.
So hopefully. We may see one or twenty of you out there.
Okay.
That's 5th June 2016.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#406975 - 11/08/15 11:10 PM Re: C2C3 [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Geo Offline

Loc: Oamaru, New Zealand
G'day RT, check out this forum occasionally and was wondering what you had been up to - much enjoyed reading your entertaining 2011 blog. Good on you. Third shot - you jokers will be getting AW tattoos next! wink

#407056 - 07/02/16 06:31 PM Re: C2C3 [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

AW tatts....hadn't thought of that. Maybe get one of the route on my arm...then I can leave Dave at home.....and save weight of 8 maps in the back pack.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#407057 - 07/02/16 06:32 PM Re: C2C3 [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

and thanks for reading the blog. I was doing a vlog for the second attempt...but ran out of batteries two days in...hehehe.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#407108 - 21/05/16 11:38 AM Re: C2C3 [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Well our initial party of 3 has now become 1.
Just me.
Bit upset that Dave has had to pull out at the very last minute, and I can't just pull out myself, can I?
Not after so many folk have pledged money for my chosen charity.
I say upset.I mean extremely pee'd off.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#407109 - 21/05/16 01:40 PM Re: C2C3 [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
The weather looks as though it may be good, however disappointing that there will be nobody else to buy you a drink! Guess that you will have to make some friends (rich ones) along the way.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: Land's End to John o'Groats in stages 2018.

#407111 - 08/06/16 11:19 AM Re: C2C3 [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

ALAS....After sustaining a couple of injuries at the start of the walk out of St Bees, both involving twisted ankles,one avoiding a dog that wanted me to play, and two, a jogger who wasn't stopping for anyone, and injuring my right hand in one of the falls, I had to pull out of the walk. I took a long cut into EB via the roads from Moor Row, as I doubt whether I'd have made it up and over Dent with my ankles as they were.
An American walker, also doing the C2C, who is a doctor advised me to not continue. I would only have made the minor injuries worse, and Day 2 would have involved Loft Becks ascent, and the steep descent into Honister.
So discretion over valour, and the feeling I'd not like to involve a MR team to come fetch me from a crevice somewhere, I awaited first lighth to see if my injuries had settled down. They hadn't, and I reluctantly and despondently called home to inform them I would be returning. I called Sherpa, and they arranged for Ian to collect me from EB, and I spent the day with him round the lakes and dales, then a night at The Old Brewery, and headed home yesterday. I'm going to be fine in a few days, and am promising to come back again, but without my camping gear, and I'm dragging my good Mrs RT along with me,and we will make a holiday of it, using BnBs along the way. A bit more civilised. And I promise I shall finish what I started.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#407112 - 08/06/16 07:15 PM Re: C2C3 [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
Well don't be too down about it RT, it happens to us all at some tine or other. You gat further than than me on my last planned walk. A couple of weeks ago I had planned a fast Offa's Dyke starting from Prestatyn.
Booked the trains in advance. Caught the Chorley train to Preston and waited on the platform there. That was as far as I got. Timing was crucial for the 4 day attempt. At first the train from Preston was delayed due to a broken down train blocking the line near Lancaster. 2 hours later and me having missed my connections, wondering how I was going to make up time, the train was finally cancelled. That was it got the next train home.
Dave.

#407117 - 23/06/16 12:27 PM Re: C2C3 [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Online   confused

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Bad luck RT... getting to the start can be a challenge in itself and when things go wrong early on (mentally as well as physical) you take a knock and it can be difficult to recover.

I had similar setbacks last year as Dave with my coach connection being delayed - only 20 mins but it threw me - I had a 5 min window to get from my arrival stand to departure stand (which I'd actually reccied can you believe...) - what I hadn't counted on was needing a toilet call in between - and them now charging 20p for same what with times being so hard an' all...
Then forgetting to actually collect mi'ticket at Lancaster and with only a booking number the ticket inspector gave me a dressing down... and by now I'm ready to thump the guy lol
I can't understand why they can't key in your booking no. and take your card details..? but what would I know...
We live to fi...('t) another day in

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917