The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2884
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1679
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3451 Topics
35943 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#407026 - 07/12/15 10:00 PM Cumbria flooding disaster.
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Storm Desmond dropped a months rain in a day over the North West of the UK and Cumbria was one of the worst hit areas.
Many roads and ancient bridges washed away including Pooley 'Bridge' itself. Villages cut off, and power lines down. thousands of homes under water and evacuated.
In Yorkshire water is flowing over Malham Cove for the first time in living memory.
Those beautiful ancient arched bridges, gone, truly awful. Will they rebuild them as they were? I hope so, many bore the character of the villages that grew as a result of them being there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3gctl4vsnA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YCyVlz4QjM

Dave.

#407027 - 08/12/15 09:34 PM Re: Cumbria flooding disaster. [Re: Slogger]
Geo Offline

Loc: Oamaru, New Zealand
Dave,
Been watching the northern flooding here (NZ) on the news.
Looks devastating. Second time in 10yrs for some. Can't imagine how a home would ever return to 'normal' condition after that. It said that a recent expensive flood defence system had been put in place in one area but had failed. Was that the installation's problem or was the flood just too overwhelming and would negate any system whatever? Hopefully a foolproof system can be worked out as extremes of weather seem to be becoming the 'norm'. Must be extremely stressful for a lot of folk.

#407028 - 08/12/15 09:54 PM Re: Cumbria flooding disaster. [Re: Slogger]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Whilst some may disagree, with so much rain in so short a period, I am not sure that anything realistic could have held it back. See the local papers comment:-

The record for the amount of rainfall in a 24-hour period was in broken in Cumbria over the weekend, the Met Office has confirmed.

A total of 341.4mm - nearly 13.5 inches - of rain was recorded at Honister Pass in the Lake District. The previous record was 316.4mm which was measured in Seathwaite, near Borrowdale, during the 2009 floods. Meanwhile Shap experienced more than two months worth of rain in 48 hours from Friday morning to Sunday morning as 262.6mm of rain fell. The average for December is 215mm.

I guess that history is the real problem. Where did our ancestors decide to live - down in a valley beside a river.

I wonder if some of the lakes could be partially drained before winter in order to take up at least some of the rainfall accepting that not all streams/rivers go into the lakes.

Please don't think that I am unsympathetic to the poor people that have been affected.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: Land's End to John o'Groats in stages 2018.

#407029 - 08/12/15 10:26 PM Re: Cumbria flooding disaster. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
I agree it appears to be that it was simply an overwhelming situation. The flood plains on the river Ribble near us, that are used for cattle grazing, were completely submerged, massive areas under water. It was constant rain, but nowhere near as bad as further North. Lancaster was badly affected after the river Lune broke its banks too. I received a message today asking me to contact a Fire and Flood company. They are asking whether I have any availability, using my powerful truck mount cleaning machine, for water extraction in properties there.
Dave.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917