The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2891
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35982 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#407078 - 21/03/16 03:00 PM Road trip C2C.
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
Well not quite. Wifes birthday, we were going to simply go out for a meal, but thinking of where we go for a short weekend break instead, I knew she had never been to Richmond, North Yorks. Anyway found a B&B and booked. We set off Saturday morning and drove via Tebay, Kirkby Stephen, Keld, Thwaite, Gunnerside, Reeth and finally to Richmond. Inside the Buck Hotel they had C2C T shirts for sale. Has a nice meal in a hotel on the square.
Sunday, we left there and carried on via Catterick, Bolton on Swale, Osmotherley, Glaisdale, Egton Bridge, Gromont and arrived in RHB. I saw that there was no sign that Keiths plaque shop was in business, just empty, maybe till the season begins?
It was good to see these places again and it is on the cards to have yet another go at the C2C with two pals, if I can get my knee sorted out.
Driving away from RHB on a Sat nav route home, we got caught in traffic and looking over to my left I could see a straight well established path going directly over the moors and wondered whether it was the route that LWM took, and the Wyke Wake Walk route.
Dave.

#407079 - 30/03/16 12:22 AM Re: Road trip C2C. [Re: Slogger]
john57r Offline

Was that the coast road past Ravenscar Dave? or the Egton Bridge - Rosedale Village road? A while since I have been past there but as I recall not particularly distinct. Interesting point as I was planning to do a C2C starting with the LWW and then come back to finish in RHB.
Guess a back to back C2C would take you about a week! Would be a good challenge for me though; maybe over 18 days. Maybe next year or 2018 (still have a N-S PW to do)
Ever thought about a 2 way C2C?
John

#407081 - 30/03/16 07:18 PM Re: Road trip C2C. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

John, we just tried to take roads as near to the line of the C2C as possible, which was difficult as there were quite a few diversions in place. I ended up letting the sarnav take over form village to village until we reached RHB.
Yes in the past I have considered a 2 way C2C, but there are too many other routes I want to do that would take a similar amount of time like the Cambrian Way and Cape Wrath Trail.
Having big problem with my right knee at the moment which is very painful on descents. Got over my groin strain and then Plantar Fasciitis, now this, frustrating to say the least.
Dave.

#407085 - 12/04/16 12:33 PM Re: Road trip C2C. [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Online   confused

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Dave, it could be you were heading south on the Blue Bank road at Eller Beckm Bridge... you would see the LWW off left and a good st track heading uphill from Fen Bog - if so you would have the radar warning station ahead as you approached the bend at the bridge,
cheers
mick

#407086 - 12/04/16 12:52 PM Re: Road trip C2C. [Re: lightweightmick]

doh... forgot about that 'edit' feature...
re knees Dave - I suffer every year as I start to build up - I now know to take it steady as tendons, ligaments and cartilage take much longer to strengthen and develop than muscles. I'm okay now (though bathroom refit plumbing is harsh on knees and I keep forgetting to dig out the kneeling pad!) Did 1st 13m this Sun (no sack carried), so am getting it back... E-W for me again this yr - felt I was going against the grain last yr!
On my long Sunday run I imagine how far I'm getting week by week - so this week I'm 1m short of 'Blue Man i'thi Moss' - when I get up to 19m I know I'm good to get to the road at Blakey Ridge, though don't part company with the LWW till Round Hill of course just before 27m... won't be carrying half a chinese take-away this year either - I'll try and get myself a B&B as sleeping in that shelter can't have helped lol (though did ensure a good early start...)

#407087 - 12/04/16 12:54 PM Re: Road trip C2C. [Re: john57r]

Hi John, I keep toying with the idea of a double... every time I've done it, it's been a different experience and I don't think I've ever seen the same view twice... nice one,
cheers
mick

#407089 - 14/04/16 02:03 PM Re: Road trip C2C. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

Hi Mick, Ive got a scan on my knee tomorrow Friday 15th April, so will know better as to whats going on then, but it has been getting progressively;y worse.
After a long walk it takes around a week to settle down some and I think I will be ok but part way through a long walk it comes on and gets worse until it's just so painful.
I keep trying to push it though, in the last 7 weeks Ive done an extended Yorkshire 3 Peaks (48 mile)17 hours, the Pendle Way (45 mile) 17 hours, and last Saturday an attempt at the Lakes 3,000er's (45 miles) managed Skiddaw, Scafell and Scafell Pike, but using leg muscles differently once mega knee pain came on, caused major cramping and extreme leg fatigue. The two guys I was with (both Ironman Triathletes and the eldest 15 years younger than me)disappeared off into the distance on the ascent of High Raise and by the time I had dropped down Wythburn to Thirlmere, I'd had enough and told them I wasn't for doing Hellvelyn. They didn't either, so we decided we'de put it down to a recce (35 miles) 17.5 hours.
Dave

#407090 - 15/04/16 02:13 PM Re: Road trip C2C. [Re: Slogger]

He'll be recommending new knees I reckon Dave...

#407091 - 15/04/16 08:09 PM Re: Road trip C2C. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

Had my scan and got the cd. Lots of pics from every angle taken in 4mm slices right through the knee.
I wont know what it all tells until I get the report in a few days time, and would only be guessing if I was to say what it all looked like.
However to me some of the phot's look very messy, a few bone chips etc. and comparing it with scans on the internet my Anterior Cruciatte Ligament doesn't appear to look very good. However I may be completely wrong so will wait and see.
Dave.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917