The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2887
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1685
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3451 Topics
35966 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#407283 - 11/01/17 12:54 PM Spine Race 2017
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
This looks like the webpage to track the participants. The full Pennine Way race starts on Sunday at 08.00 on 15th January. The challenger race starts on Saturday also at 08.00. I am not sure it should be called "a race" an "endurance event" also doesn't seem to portray the skills, mental strength and physical effort required. Good luck Slogger, many of us will be watching your progress from our armchair.

http://live.thespinerace.com/spinerace17/
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: Land's End to John o'Groats in stages 2018.

#407284 - 11/01/17 04:52 PM Re: Spine Race 2017 [Re: Harland]
Alan F Offline

Loc: Reading
Good Luck,Dave. Hope it goes well for you.
Will be following online again.
Looks like it will be a cold one this year.
Hopefully the dry.low rainfall winter to date should help the surface conditions,although much may well be frozen over.

#407285 - 12/01/17 11:34 AM Re: Spine Race 2017 [Re: Harland]
Harland Online   content

The link doesn't appear to work properly today. I'll check back later so see if it is fixed or whether it has changed location.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: Land's End to John o'Groats in stages 2018.

#407286 - 12/01/17 01:46 PM Re: Spine Race 2017 [Re: Harland]
Harland Online   content

Seems OK now.

#407287 - 14/01/17 08:16 AM Re: Spine Race 2017 [Re: Harland]
Harland Online   content

The challenger race has started, good luck to all. I've just put my heating on constant!

#407288 - 18/01/17 11:33 PM Re: Spine Race 2017 [Re: Harland]
lightweightmick Online   confused

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
I think Dave retired at CP2 (Hawes) - must be some nagging injury problem..? Awaiting news...

#407289 - 20/01/17 06:13 PM Re: Spine Race 2017 [Re: Harland]
Harland Online   content

Slogger's note before the start, however typical of him he pushed him to/past the limit:-
"Typical struggling with a sprained Sacroiliac joint done on my very last job last Saturday. I am traveling down to Edale tomorrow but it's touch and go as to whether I start. Taking my car as there's no way at the moment I could carry my drop bag too. Before I go I've got a desperate appointment at 8am in the morning with a Chiropractor. Can't quite believe it and wishing too late that I hadn't done that job especially as I wasn't going to work that day but a repeat customer couldn't wait a couple of weeks.
Here's hoping a miracle happens between now and Sunday."

#407290 - 24/01/17 01:00 PM Re: Spine Race 2017 [Re: Harland]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Well, a miracle did occurr, whilst driving to Edale after struggling to get into the car, I became aware that the pain had gone from my back and I got out of the car without any problem.
The back problem never did return during the race or to date (weird!)
The challengers who started the day before has snow covered ground but apparently the going was good, hence the record was broken in around 25 hours for the 106 miles.
The full Spine however, the going was awful, extremely wet underfoot with swollen streams which in places had become raging torrents. Heavy rain all the night before had washed away all the snow to add to the wetness.
The first stream to cross was at Kinder Downfall after only around 5 miles or so. All the care and foot preparation, with taping, Goretex shoes, waterproof socks, gaiters and waterproof over trousers came to nothing as at the shallowest part we were wading through a strong current with water above the knees.
Feet wet and freezing racers including myself complaining of lost feeling in their toes. Feeling just starting to come back when we had to cross another another stream after Laddow Rocks.
By this time I had sort of teamed up with two other guys, or i should say they attached themselves to me, as my plan was go solo and not be distracted by others.
At this stream we had caught up wityh two opthers. One of them had managed to wade across. I was directly behind the other on the edge of a steep muddy bank, when suddenly he was in and shot past me as the flow took him. In desperation his pall shouted "Stop him!" He stretched out his hand with his pole and I grabbed it which brought him back to the bank, and the other two behind managed to drag him out. No sooner had that happened, my foot slipped and I was in. Full immersion up tp my neck. One of the guys at the back had managed to cross, but stepped back in to stop me being swept away downstream. The guy who had crossed reached out with his pole which i grabbed and managed to clamber up the other bank. I stood up and water just poured out of my jacket sleeves. We all had got across, in shock, but then all we could do was laugh. However we now had to go at speed to warm up and prevent hypothermia. It worked and eventually we were comfortable again.
My plan had been to take it easy paced which I did and then speed up after Standage at around 28 miles. Standage came but I couldn't speed up my legs were dead. A result of being on three pain killers for the week before or what, I don't know.
Anyway we arrived at CP1 Hedbden Bridge over 4 hours later than I had ever been before. This I knew was really not good. With the cut off for leaving there being 24 hours, we only had 3.5 hours left. We left after 2.5 hours without getting any sleep.
Throught the many series of saturated fields sliding about in all direction in the quagmire of mud, it was strength sapping.
At Gargrave I told the other two that I was going to bivvy, secretly hoping that they would carry on. However they stopped too. We found some umberlla covered seating outside an Indian Restaurant on the main road and got into out sleeping bacgs and bivvy bags. A couple of hours later we were on our way once more. The pace was still too slow and we now chasing the cut offs, so early on, this was not good.
Ascending Fountains Fell my legs began to feel better, so I stretched out a bit to try them. The sign s were good but i was leaving the other two behind, so I slowed and they caught up but were obviously knacked. We had soup in Horton cafe that opened up especially for the Spine Race.
I told the others I was going to the WC, hoping they would carry in, but found them waiting outside.
Legs now feeling much better I stretched them out again, soon leaving my companions. I looked back and was surprised by how much they were behind, obviously struggling. I looked back a couple of times - same situation. I slowed a bit, looked back again and they were even further back. Now worried about even making the cut off at Hawes, I made the decision to go ahead and get there as fast as I could.
I was storming along now passing other ahead of me quickly and leaving them far behind. Up the cam High Road I stopped an American guy from making a bad nav error and went ahead of him. He shouted to me whether we stayed on this track and I shouted back that we turn off it in about a mile.
At this junction I looked back and pointed with my pole (yes, a pole was vital in the slippery conditions) he acknowledged with a thulbs up.
Then came the long sloppery descent in Hawes. My knee began hurting, it got worse and worse. I looked back repeatedly to check that our American friend was still on the correct line. I could see that he was. By the time I reached the tarmac road, my knee was a mess and I now down to a painful shuffle. America himself limping badly caught me up and we entered Hawes together. His pal who had come over with him had come out to meet him. It turned out this was the guy who had won the Challenger. This was Dominic an English guy living and working across the pond.
By the time I entered the CP2 at the YHA, I had made the decision to retire. Not only the knee pain, but with the knowledge that I had no chance of any sleep there as well. I knew that losing time on the cut offs, through simply being late at CP1, sooner or later the cut off would arrive before i reached it, and there would be no chance of any sleep whatsover.
It turned out that one of my prior companions didn't even reach hwwaes before calling to be collocted and the other one was withdrawn by medics at Hawes after fainting while being assessed.
I went home but soon retuned in a pals camper van to watched my other two pals finishing at Kirk Yetholm. A third pal Adam had retired some miles North of Alston with exeptionaly swollen feet and blisters. His wife came up to collect him.
On returning home the two that finished were in quite a bad state of affairs with badly battered feet and having to take time off work. Malc was the worst and went to A&E eventually to have a really bad looking toe treated and was put on antibiotics. Adam who had dropped out after after Alston, phined me. he told how painfull his feet were and that he could walk as every time he put his feet down from being elevated they felt like they would burst (I knew well that feeling).
Later that day he noticed a red line on his foot, which by bedtime had reached his knee. Following morning it had reached his groin area.
He went to A&E, where he was immediattley admitted and put on an intravenous antibiotic drip. The doctors told him and his wife that they couldn't have left it any later, they had caught it just in time! The infection was spreading up his body.
He is now back home and still in cinsiderable pain but will be ok.
The Spine this year - carnage!
Dave.

#407291 - 24/01/17 01:26 PM Re: Spine Race 2017 [Re: Harland]
Harland Online   content

I followed you all the way (from my chair) and was disappointed that you had to call it a day but knowing that you certainly wouldn't have done that lightly. I was aware of the time constraints that were there and many had to drop out for that reason. Anyway well done, I couldn't envisage walking in those conditions with little/no sleep even in my youth.

#407292 - 24/01/17 05:05 PM Re: Spine Race 2017 [Re: Harland]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Thanks Harland, I'm still kicking myself for not getting more of a move on from the start then not sticking to my plan.
Dave.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917