The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#407438 - 29/03/21 05:56 PM 7lbs Base Weight..?
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
For me it's 'new money' for the small end and 'old money' for the bigger end as I still can't imagine kilos -(unless in terms of bags of sugar..?)- but know what lbs feel like. As there's 28.4 of the little ones to one-sixthteenth of the bigger ones it gets more accurate. I jest with people that we should now be going back to avoirdupois what with our current situation (us being Europeans an' all) and that we never really gave it up, what with pints (remember those?) and miles-per-hour because it was going to cost too much to change all the road signs, but I get that blank look and change the subject...

So, lbs and grams it is then...

As I'm currently 67 of the little ones under 7 of the big ones which in total comes to 3175 of the little ones, it's looking good... and if you're with me so far you must be a lightweighter.

Incidently, it's the same with miles and kilometers. Those damn pesky kms! There's an awful lot more km in a day than miles, and you don't want big numbers in your head when you have to cover them on foot... like the time I arrived in Reeth waiting for the shop to open with 3 dutch lads who wanted to know how far I'd come... lets face it over 60km sounds a damn sight more than 40 miles and that was just day one... Then plodding on to Marske, as I chewed on my family-sized quiche, I couldn't stop converting what I'd got left to go with an ankle injury into kilometers. I think that was 2015's effort - didn't end well. Best not to engage with others on the trail if you ask me...

However, I'm pretty sure there are those out there that are interested in this 'ere flimsy kit, so let's get down to it.

Disclaimer: Do not regard anything that follows as advice. I do not advocate that anyone set out into the hills ill-prepared. Go with what your experience dictates.

#407439 - 30/03/21 12:27 AM Re: 7lbs Base Weight..? [Re: lightweightmick]
lightweightmick Offline

So, if I live long enough, the plan is to be more self-sufficient with a tent and see if I could carry a bit more 'snap'.
With 10lbs as a maximum, I should get a few meals in with a 7lb base weight of strictly Summer kit, and if the back holds out, get some running in as well, and, if we get chance, who knows, I might even enjoy it..?

If you like to carry the kitchen sink look away now...

PACK
Modified Cuben Fiber Terra Nova Laser 20 - 118 gms

I think they stopped making these..? Got a used one - VGC said the guy selling it. I think he forgot that he'd cut the webbing on the shoulder straps and knotted the ends. It wouldn't fit on arrival (137 gms) - must have a shorter back than me... So I managed to unpick the knots and gain 3" either side. It now fits, however, if I'm not careful there's nowt to stop the straps passing straight through the buckles. A bit of adjustment there is good as the tiny hip belt actually works with such little kit.
The other thing he forgot to mention was the small tear near one of the shoulder straps, which needs some repair tape.
So far the mods are whistle and chest strap removal. There's far too much spare on the waist/hip belt which offers opportunity to shave off a few more grams. Indeed I'd like to shave away those 18 gms and 100gms is a really nice round figure.
Worth noting the CF version differs from the std version (which served me well on my sub 4 day effort in 2016) in that there are no hip belt pockets and a flap top covering a drawstring closure instead of a roll-top affair. Maybe they didn't think the cuben would stand up to repeated screwing up for the continued rolling and unrolling closure. Dunno.
It's good, comfortable (more on that under 'Ground Insuation'), though looks like it could fall apart at any moment... but then it only has to last a few days of Neverland.

Phone Pouch - previously Inov-8 - 20gms - experimenting with heat sealed plastic. Yesterday's attempt better than last week's effort (both weighed in at just) 4gms. Thing is I couldn't access the phone without unfastening hip belt making OTMA poor (an improvement on the previous attempt where I couldn't get the phone back in at all...) Need to make a third one a bit bigger or go back to arm mount pouch...

From previous kit list then potential weight saving on sack and phone pouch - 115 gms.

Dry Bag - 20 gms (max) Usually I've a stuff sack for everything, but it makes sense just to have the one and keep all 'dry' stuff in one place as I've never needed to access the down vest OTM. I can't get a waterproof phone bank in my weight allowance either (max 180gms - 3 chgs), so maybe there's room in this one dry bag..? - ongoing.

Up next: shelter.

#407440 - 31/03/21 03:18 PM Re: 7lbs Base Weight..? [Re: lightweightmick]
lightweightmick Offline

#407441 - 31/03/21 03:26 PM Re: 7lbs Base Weight..? [Re: lightweightmick]
lightweightmick Offline

test

#407442 - 31/03/21 03:40 PM Re: 7lbs Base Weight..? [Re: lightweightmick]
lightweightmick Offline

#407443 - 31/03/21 03:54 PM Re: 7lbs Base Weight..? [Re: lightweightmick]
lightweightmick Offline

Interest in the Nordisk Lofoten piqued on discovering it had a declared race weight of under 500gms which could just work out better than my tarp/midge net tent arrangement and be a bit less draughty. An hour later, lo and behold, at 2am I discovered an as-new one for sale on the bay...

I've seen it described as 'flimsy' and more like a bivvy bag (whoever said that has not spent long in a bivvy bag...)
I can't comment on the 'flimsy' yet, as, like it's previous cyclist owner, it's only ever been set up in the garden. I wouldn't describe it as flimsy myself, but with carbon fibre poles it could only be considered 'flimsier' to those who would consider it so...

to be continued as time permits.

#407444 - 31/03/21 03:59 PM Re: 7lbs Base Weight..? [Re: lightweightmick]
lightweightmick Offline

Apologies for the blanks earlier.
Was being harrassed by my 18 yr old cat who's gone blind, so whether he pressed something or the post was just too long to post I dunno... I'll try and get a bit more on later.

#407445 - 01/04/21 01:36 PM Re: 7lbs Base Weight..? [Re: lightweightmick]
lightweightmick Offline

#407446 - 01/04/21 01:50 PM Re: 7lbs Base Weight..? [Re: lightweightmick]
lightweightmick Offline

#407447 - 01/04/21 01:59 PM Re: 7lbs Base Weight..? [Re: lightweightmick]
lightweightmick Offline

It's not the cat...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917