The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36021 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41058 - 28/06/08 04:15 PM Oldest Walkers
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
As I am just a few days away from my 70th birthday, thoughts go through my head as to how long I can keep walking long distances. Just wondering how many 70+ trekkers there are out there and what is/was the oldest trekker in history.
Some years ago I came across two guys coming out of RHB who were 83 years old. They said they did the C2C every year and would keep going until they drop. A friend of mine here is 80+ and he walks 18 klm three times a week. Starting at 600mts, going up over a range at 1440 mts,down the other side to a town and gets a train home. He knackers me out when we go to the shops.

#41059 - 28/06/08 06:18 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
Nimrod Offline

Loc: Billingham,Cleveland
As I am only 45,I am a bit behind you,Oldun,but have a good birthday when it arrives!
Nimrod

#41060 - 28/06/08 06:59 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
happywalker Offline

Loc: england
I met a lovely man last year who had done the dales way when he was 80. I met a lady doing the St. Cuthbert trail who was 70. I guess the moral of the story is keep walking.

#41061 - 28/06/08 08:34 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Edward Payson-Weston walked across the USA in record time to celebrate his 70th birthay and only stopped walking in his late eighties due to being run over by a taxi.In his younger days he was the first man to walk 500 miles in six days.

There is a bench in Keld that is dedicated to two ladies who walked both the Coast to Coast and Pennine Way.I believe they were both in their late eighties and one could have been ninety.

I think the secret is in keeping a good cardiovascular fitness base throughout the year.Everyone I have met who is over sixty and very fit puts it down to regular physical training which includes running and swimming.

#41062 - 29/06/08 08:57 AM Re: Oldest Walkers
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Quote:
Originally posted by Nimrod:
As I am only 45,I am a bit behind you,Oldun,but have a good birthday when it arrives!
Nimrod

Oldun, yes, have a good celebration of your forthcoming birthday. Are we all invited to the party ?

#41063 - 29/06/08 12:10 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
tim smith Offline

Hi Oldun,
Many Happy Returns of the Day
can anybody come
just keep on walking, felix kept on walking and keeps on walking still
regards ern

#41064 - 29/06/08 04:21 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
sid Offline

Loc: tudhoe,co.durham,england
when i was on my 3rd c2c the other week i stopped at lordstones cafe to shelter from the weather .
as i was having a bite to eat , a pleasant old chap came and chatted to me about walking and my journey .
he was a keen walker himself and spent most summers walking in spain .
he was 78 years old and looked very fit for his age and loved walking.
he told me over the last year or so he'd become i'll and lost over 2 stone in weight , after tests at hospital he was diagnosed with diabetes .
he was quite pleased that it was diabetes and not the dreaded big "C" .
so now he can get on with the rest of his life and carry on walking .
lovely bloke ...

#41066 - 29/06/08 06:27 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Of course Oldun has a big advantage over us lowlanders with all that clean Swiss air.
Dave.

#41067 - 30/06/08 12:17 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
Mary L Offline

Loc: Chapel Hill, North Carolina, U...
Oldun, many happy returns of the day!

In 2007 on the C2C I met a tall, lean Canadian couple in their 70's who were trekking and camping for the full crossing. They were close to the end on a W-E crossing.

"Our children think we're nuts!" they said cheerfully, and loped away across the moors.

#41068 - 30/06/08 02:50 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
Happy Birthday Oldun.

#41069 - 30/06/08 02:53 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
Oldun Offline

Thanks for your good wishes. My thoughts will be of you all as I lift each glass.

With regard to keeping fit; I have always been of the opinion that age and getting old is in the mind. Some guys I worked with, looked and acted like old men at the age of 30. Sadly, many of them are now dead, as when they retired they said, “We have earned our retirement, now we are going to rest, sit with our feet up in front of the tele and let everyone else do the worrying”.

Since I retired there does not seem to be enough hours in the day for what I want to get done.

As the years creep by it seems to be more and more difficult to maintain a reasonable fitness level and more and more time seems to be required for exercise. Lazing around for a two week holiday at a lovely hotel is fabulous, but it is agony afterwards trying to get the mind back into a positive mode believing that exercise is good for me.

In an aging heterosexual partnership, men are able to maintain their sprightliness as long as the woman is a fitness and health food fanatic. Should the woman (as usually happens), lose their enthusiasm; a man goes down hill very quickly unless he can find an outside interest that drives him to maintain his fitness.

#41070 - 30/06/08 06:59 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
Lounge Lizard Offline

Oldun. Very true what you say about the dangers of retirement. I retired after very nearly thirty years of an indoor, mainly office bound, job but then took a job as a postman, on my feet up to ten hours a day now, mostly out in the country, never felt better, just should have thought of it when I was a youngster instead of wasting the best years of my working life in a job I look back on with only bad memories.

#41071 - 30/06/08 09:55 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
Chrissy Offline

Loc: Newquay, Cornwall
Our little gang have just come back from doing the Great Glen Way. The walk was our Mums choice for her 70th birthday. We did the West Highland Way and Ben Nevis for her 65th birthday. She is now wondering what to do for her 75th!!

She is off with a friend to do the South Downs Way next week. Us two are going on a walking holiday to Austria in September - so I think the answer is to definitely keep walking - don't stop!

#41072 - 30/06/08 10:28 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
Oldun Offline

Tomorrow morning my friend and I will be walking along the Sentier des Gendarmes. It's a little used track along a heavily forested ridge that devides Switzerland and France. GPS's don't work there owing to the tree cover and there is not too much forward vision, so we will have an interesting day navigating by compass and dead reckoning. Oh and bye the way; the air up there is wonderful...Mmmmmmm. Read recently that wolves have been sighted around that area.

#41073 - 01/07/08 05:52 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
Nimrod Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Oldun:
Tomorrow morning my friend and I will be walking along the Sentier des Gendarmes. It's a little used track along a heavily forested ridge that devides Switzerland and France. GPS's don't work there owing to the tree cover and there is not too much forward vision, so we will have an interesting day navigating by compass and dead reckoning. Oh and bye the way; the air up there is wonderful...Mmmmmmm. Read recently that wolves have been sighted around that area.

I didn't know wolves still existed in Europe?
Nimrod [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/eek.gif[/img]

#41074 - 01/07/08 06:06 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
Oldun Offline

Nimrod. Interestingly, an effect of global warming has brought wolves, bears and lynx back into the central Europe areas. Lynx are quite wide spread and brown bears have been making their leisurely way around the Grison. Wolves are allowed to wander freely until they start causing a nuisance, like killing sheep or calves. There was a photo in the local paper of a dead wolf that had been shot by a farmer. Another article in the Matin reported wolves in the Jura not far from here. But all these animals keep themselves to themselves, unless aggravated. Foxes are a pest though; as like in UK, they are living right in the city and suburban housing areas.

#41075 - 01/07/08 10:58 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
Jean from Boston Offline

Toward the end of the Coast to Coast, W-E, we met a couple, Ira and Hilda. He lived mostly in Florida and was 78 at the time. We wound up at the same B&Bs in Great Broughton and Grosmont, so had plenty of time to talk with them. They weren't fast, and they took a rest day in Richmond,but they were very steady.

#41076 - 02/07/08 03:43 AM Re: Oldest Walkers
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
Olden, I guess I'm 3 months older than you, celebrated my 70th in China by climbing Huang Shan (Golden Mountain).
I've been doing the LDPs in the UK for 5 years now, last year was Glyndwr's Way and part of Offa's Dyke. This year will be the West Highland Way with my kids. I will be doing this for as long as I'm able, 10 years minimum I'd say.
Happy birthday to you. Hope to see you on the trail some day.

#41077 - 02/07/08 07:21 AM Re: Oldest Walkers
Oldun Offline

Hi Gregg. Nice to hear from you. Keep in touch.

#41078 - 02/07/08 07:45 AM Re: Oldest Walkers
tim smith Offline

hi all,
i do not know whether i maybe repeating my self.
but last year at the age of 81.i parked at the car park near the Blencathera Centre walked along the a track north off the intake wall
to just above Scales and then followed Julia Bradburry's route up sharp edge on to the top of Blencathera, walking along the base i was not too happy, not knowing if i could make it up Sharpe edge, my knees were knocking with nerves, any way when i started up the slope i had to keep stopping and admire the view every 50 paces, once on the graggs the nervousness dissapeared and was replaced with exhileration i reached fouls gragg and the only thing was go for it on hands and knees made it the top. i expected ordnance survey piller on the top , but all there was was an iron ring i suppose where it had been .i strolled along to the west end and down the zig zag path back to the car. a two hour job had taken me over 6 hours .i hope Aleck does not see this as he was a walking companion for many years and this was the mountain he always wanted to walk, sadly we never did
regads to all
ern
i hope it does not sound like bragging

#41079 - 02/07/08 12:44 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
Oldun Offline

Well done mate. I am proud of you. Keep going.

#41080 - 02/07/08 02:19 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
Nimrod Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tim smith:
hi all,
i do not know whether i maybe repeating my self.
but last year at the age of 81.i parked at the car park near the Blencathera Centre walked along the a track north off the intake wall
to just above Scales and then followed Julia Bradburry's route up sharp edge on to the top of Blencathera, walking along the base i was not too happy, not knowing if i could make it up Sharpe edge, my knees were knocking with nerves, any way when i started up the slope i had to keep stopping and admire the view every 50 paces, once on the graggs the nervousness dissapeared and was replaced with exhileration i reached fouls gragg and the only thing was go for it on hands and knees made it the top. i expected ordnance survey piller on the top , but all there was was an iron ring i suppose where it had been .i strolled along to the west end and down the zig zag path back to the car. a two hour job had taken me over 6 hours .i hope Aleck does not see this as he was a walking companion for many years and this was the mountain he always wanted to walk, sadly we never did
regads to all
ern
i hope it does not sound like bragging

If you are still fit to do what you love doing,keep on with it and keep bragging. We're all proud of you!
Nimrod

#41081 - 02/07/08 06:02 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
Oldun Offline

Was reading some statistics the other day that suggested that people of our generation who were born before WW2 or during it, are living longer. Whereas people who were born from the fifties onward are dying younger. Which means that in some cases parents are out living their children.

It finds that older people are a lot tougher in character and physique than the present generation. The early death rate of the young is due to a fast food diet, lack of exercise, general soft living and not having to think for themselves.

It would seem we have tried to give our children an easier life than we experienced, but alas, it has not done been for their general good.

Old age is not for whimps.

#41082 - 02/07/08 08:14 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
Nimrod Offline

That was suggested a few years ago,when my dad went in for an operation to remove bowel cancer. Even though he was warned the operation could kill him,he just shrugged it off and said it would be better to go quick then die a lingering death.
Well,he crossed the Atlantic a few times as merchant mariner with U-Boat packs beneath him and buried alive when his house was bombed,so what is a poxy little operation to him!
Nimrod

#41083 - 02/07/08 08:54 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
tim smith Offline

Hi NImrod.
thanks Nimrod.
i bet you are proud of your Dad!
it maybe that following the horses on the farms when i was young that built me up for walking, i am only a small guy though 5.6&1/2
there must be some thing in the air or whisky in our village as i was cycling to the next village a mile away, the other day, when a gentleman whizzed by me and he must be 90 years young if not more.
did 12 miles on the bike yesterday, and to-day been messing about on a farm for about 6 hours .
am a bit stiff now though,
one of the lucky ones
ern

[This message has been edited by tim smith (edited 02 July 2008).]

#41085 - 03/07/08 12:47 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
Nimrod Offline

Quote:
Hi NImrod.
thanks Nimrod.
i bet you are proud of your Dad!
it maybe that following the horses on the farms when i was young that built me up for walking, i am only a small guy though 5.6&1/2
there must be some thing in the air or whisky in our village as i was cycling to the next village a mile away, the other day, when a gentleman whizzed by me and he must be 90 years young if not more.
did 12 miles on the bike yesterday, and to-day been messing about on a farm for about 6 hours .
am a bit stiff now though,
one of the lucky ones
ern

[This message has been edited by tim smith (edited 02 July 2008).]

Do you actually work on a farm,or just help out?
Nimrod

#41086 - 15/07/08 09:18 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
tim smith Offline

Nimrod, sorry i just re read your enquiry, no i do not work on the farms now i just go and make a nuisance of my self
regards
ern

[This message has been edited by tim smith (edited 16 July 2008).]

[This message has been edited by tim smith (edited 17 July 2008).]

#41087 - 17/07/08 05:45 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
Nimrod Offline

Quote:

Nimrod, sorry i just re read your enquiry, no i do not work on the farms now i just go and make a nuisance of my self
regards
ern

As long as you are enjoying yourself,why not mate?
Nimrod

#41088 - 18/07/08 05:02 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
Lounge Lizard Offline

Quote:

regards
ern

Are you a nuisance to the animals or the farmer ?

#41089 - 18/07/08 10:31 PM Re: Oldest Walkers
tim smith Offline

Lounge Lizard,
i keep out of the way of the animals
they are great big cows and bulls.
i suppose i am not too big a nuisance to the farmer or i would think they would clear me off
ern

#43102 - 22/08/08 12:36 AM Re: Oldest Walkers [Re: Mary L]
uncle arthur Offline

I met an interesting gent called Norman,in is mid 60's doing his 15th C2C, when i did my first walk last October.

#43114 - 22/08/08 08:51 PM Re: Oldest Walkers [Re: uncle arthur]
tim smith Offline

re strip maps on other posts
don't bother with strip maps follow Norman

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917