The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36021 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41141 - 14/01/05 01:05 PM Herriot Way
Strenn1e Offline

I am looking to do this walk around easter 2005 and am wondering a) what it is like and b) can you do it in less than the 4 days in Norman Scholes guidebook ( i think the best pass out I could get would be 3 days).
If it is feasible can anyone recommend any dog friendly campsites as we will be walking and camping.
PS this is my first post so be gentle.

#41142 - 14/01/05 01:26 PM Re: Herriot Way
H Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Welcome Strennie (the gentle bit).

Three days would be pushing it, I think for this one. It does break nicely into four.

I took Stan the "Wonder-dog" (ask me about his 163 potato!) with me last time and camped:-
1) at a farm just outside Healaugh (Low Whita) the campsite at Reeth was just too unfriendly!!, reneged on our booking!
2) at Park House Farm 2 miles West of Keld (Pete Atkinson the owner is really fiendly and loves dogs etc). Gives way good wine for a reasonable fixed donation! (Can't sell it!)
3)the Campsite just to east of Hawes,
and finally at Aysgarth campsite.

Main problem I had was finding a pub that would let Stan in. - Only 1 out of 5 in Hawes!

#41143 - 26/01/05 12:23 PM Re: Herriot Way
Strenn1e Offline

Thanks for that H, I will take your advice. I am intrigued about the 163 potato, tell me more.

#41144 - 26/01/05 01:31 PM Re: Herriot Way
H Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
163 potato.... (Are you sitting comfortably?, then I'll begin ...)

Although a Border Collie ( I have two) Stan is rather "thick", mostly due to over-enthusiasm about everything.

On the hottest Summer day of 2004 we back-packed from Grassington to Cray (part of Dales Way - v. nice). Both dogs esp. Stan enjoyed the 16 miles (plus their extras!) chasing sticks, rounding up back-markers etc. etc.

Got to pub, pitched tent and fed dogs.

Went into pub, had dinner (plus a few beers!) and dogs were hungry enough to wolf down any scraps on offer.

Woke up next day, Stan threw up!. Packed up and started walking - dogs acting normally - Stan still stick-obsessed etc etc. But he threw up every time he got hot and had a drink.

Stopped at Kettlewell pub, had drinking bowl outside. Stan drank a lot then threw up all over the shiny boots of the Myriads of walkers that go to Kettlewell, walk less than two miles, and never get their boots dirty - very amusing. (But worrying)

Got back to car - worried about Stan (Who all this time was still presenting sticks to chase etc.)

Fed Stan at home - He threw up.

Monday a.m. - Stan threw up - time to go to vets.

Vet X-Rays dog ... Nothing. Vet puts dog on drip (He was dehydrated to a dangerous level - apparently - nobody seems to have told him that - and he certainly hadn't noticed!). Stan gravely ill!!!

Vet does blood tests for poisons .. Nothing. Vet administers stomach settling fluids .. Stan throws them up!

Tuesday - Stan still at vets. Vet still clueless. Tues pm - Stan eats something and it stays put ! I'm told I can collect him.

Just before I get there Stan throws up - but this time regugitates whole new potato about size of a golf ball. This is the cause of all the trouble!. Vet shows it to me and asks if I want to keep it - I say "No".

Get bill - 163:46 - Wished I had kept the bl**dy thing and had it cast in resin! - It'd be the most expensive paper weight in the house!

(This is not Stans first time of ignoring illness - he needed 8 stitches in his groin once, but paid no attention when he did it - I just checked why he was persistently licking the area about two days later.)

Enjoy the Herrioy Way, If you need to know the name of the only pub that'll let your dog in in both Hawes and Aysgarth, I'll see if my retentitive mate, Moz, who has a book listing every pub he's been in, can find out!)

Harry

#41145 - 26/01/05 01:41 PM Re: Herriot Way
Strenn1e Offline

H

Thanks for that, I will tell Joe (the Dog)to stay away from the potatos. If you do come up with the pubs that will aloow him in that woild be great. We were going to do the herriot way at easter but have been side tracked into doing the lyke wake walk instead. I'm not sure even Joe (who is a collie X) will be up to it but we will have a land rover available for tired dogs (and peaople) if necessary.

#41146 - 26/01/05 03:57 PM Re: Herriot Way
Red Offline

Loc: New York, NY
H, it's surprising that the X-ray didn't reveal the potato. Glad to know that Stan recovered.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917