The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41165 - 31/01/05 01:00 PM Hadrians Wall - Planned
FootSore Offline

Loc: UK
Walking HW departing 25th March, thought this info may help others planning the route. I know it appears I like staying in pubs but that is becasue I do.(Prices are for 2 persons).

Booked everything yesterday afternoon with the internet and 2 phones (Me & Wife). Whole trip took less than 2 hours to sort - fnatastic.

The Centurion comes highly recommended and I know the Hadrian @ Wall (a little Fawlty Towers but very friendly and food is very good). Will comment on the rest on return.

If any one else has completed the route and can offer hints/tips on cafes, pubs, things to see and do, it would be appreciated. Some of the days are rather short on miles so we will have plenty of time to do extra stuff.

FootSore

Friday 25th March – South Shields to Tyne Bridge (11 miles)
Family

Saturday 26th March – Tyne Bridge to Heddon (10 miles)
Family

Sunday 27th March – Heddon to Chollerford (15.1 miles)
Mr David Lindsay, Hadrian Hotel, Wall, Northumberland. NE46 4EE
(Total £60) Tel: 01434 681232 Grid Reference: NY916690 http://www.hadrianhotel.com

Monday 28th March – Chollerford to Steel Rigg (12 miles)
Brian & Pauline Keen, Twice Brewed Inn, Military Road, Bardon Mill, Nrthmbrlnd. NE47 7AN
(Total: £55) Tel: 01434 344534 Grid Reference: NY750668 http://www.twicebrewedinn.co.uk

Tuesday 29th March – Steel Rigg to Walton (16.3 miles)
Mrs Mary Stobbart, Centurion Inn, Walton, BRAMPTON, Cumbria. CA8 2DH
(Total: £50) Tel: 016977 2438 Grid Reference: (NY 522643)

Wednesday 30th March – Walton to Carlisle (11 miles)
Aldingham House, 1 Eden Mount, Stanwix, Carlisle, Cumbria CA3 9LZ
(Total £70) Tel: 01228 522554 Grid Reference: NY 399569 http://www.aldinghamhouse.co.uk/

Thursday 31st March – Carlisle to Bowness (14.7 miles)

[This message has been edited by FootSore (edited 31 January 2005).]

• C2C
  • Pennine Way
  • West Highalnd Way
  • South Downs Way
  • St Cuthberts Way
  • North Downs Way
  • Cleveland Way
  • Offa's Dyke Path
  • Hadrian's Wall
  • Dales Way
  • Cumbrian Way

#41166 - 31/01/05 06:57 PM Re: Hadrians Wall - Planned
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Did HW a couple of years back and stopped for 2 days in Haltwhistle, so that I could take my time wandering around the Roman settlements at Vindolanda and Fort Halsteads. There are some amazing discoveries at Vindolanda. Nothing much in Haltwhistle, but it made a welcome change to continually jumping out of the way of speeding cars. For me the interesting part of the walk was between Chollerford and Banks, the rest was just open road slog. At that time one had to make annoying deviations around several farmers’ properties, as they had been unable to reach an agreement with the HW Tourism organisers. Found everyone on the route very open, friendly and helpful, but looking to make a buck. Wish you luck for your trip.

#41167 - 01/02/05 11:34 AM Re: Hadrians Wall - Planned
June Offline

Loc: Birmingham, West Midlands
We walked the Wall about 10 years ago, before it was a recognised long-distance path. Housesteads is the best preserved fort, but very popular with visitors, coach parties etc., because it's in easy reach of the main road. Chesters fort is also good, and Birdoswald. Vindolanda requires a short diversion from Once Brewed as it's not on the main route, but it's worth the trouble.
The last day (Carlisle to Bowness) is a bit of a slog, especially the part that goes dead straight for about three and a half miles - damn those Romans!
When we did it, the pub in Bowness kept a book for you to write in if you'd walked along the wall. Maybe it's still there. Hunter Davies's book (A Walk Along the Wall)is well worth reading.

#41168 - 01/02/05 03:36 PM Re: Hadrians Wall - Planned
Ken in Boston Offline

Loc: Vancouver, British Columbia, C...
We did a just a short section--Longbyre to Housesteads--in one day last June, and it was really good, though a LOT of ups and downs. In 1992 I stayed at YHA Once Brewed and did a shorter portion of the wall as well as toured Vindolanda. Vindolanda was worth the side trip, by the way...

#41169 - 02/02/05 06:37 AM Re: Hadrians Wall - Planned
Geordie Offline

Loc: Scotland
Did this walk last February, Footsore. Try to stop at The Keelmans in Newburn, about 3 miles from Heddon. It's the brewery tap of Big Lamp Brewery. Buy beer by the jug - you get half a pint free that way! I concur with your views on the Hadrian at Wall. Don't go near the Station in Gilsland, a bit of a "dive", unless it has changed since. The publican at the Centurion forced me into his pub at 8.50 in the morning, and plied me with Marstons Pedigree. Seems the local hunt were meeting there that morning, so he had a special licence. There, the hunts do have a use after all!
Nothing much between there and Bowness, except that boring 3 miles straight already mentioned. Take a good book!
The worst part of the journey for me was the constant headwind going East-West. This may not be as bad in late March. Hope you have a great time
Geordie.

#41170 - 02/02/05 07:47 PM Re: Hadrians Wall - Planned
FootSore Offline

Thanks folks, I have done some of the HW wall before when doing the Pennine Way but that was 8 or so years ago.

Have done lots of school field trips to it as I went ot school in the North East. History, Geography & Biology trips all went there, relevance to the subject didn't seem to matter. May actually be interested this time round.

Is the Keelman on the river, I think I have been a few times with my brother who still lives in the west of Newcastle. Yes good pub - hadn't thought about it till you mentioned though - will likely pop in.

Actually looking forward to the up/down parts. Looking forward to all of it. Come on weather give me a break!

Will give the station a good look before venturing inside. Places change bit also places don't.

Thanks for the responses.

FootSore

[This message has been edited by FootSore (edited 02 February 2005).]

• C2C
  • Pennine Way
  • West Highalnd Way
  • South Downs Way
  • St Cuthberts Way
  • North Downs Way
  • Cleveland Way
  • Offa's Dyke Path
  • Hadrian's Wall
  • Dales Way
  • Cumbrian Way

#41171 - 18/03/05 10:40 AM Re: Hadrians Wall - Planned
Onslow Offline

I'll be doing the HW wall in early June so I'll certainly keep Keelmans and the Centurion in mind as I'll be staying at Newburn and Walton.

Also, what is the walk like from Wallsend to Newburn? Is it riverwalk?

#41172 - 18/03/05 11:15 AM Re: Hadrians Wall - Planned
FootSore Offline

From Wallsend to Newburn it will pass some of the more delightful housing areas of the Tyneside Conurbation.

Byker (Byker Grove fame). However once you reach St. Peters Basin it is all the old Quayside areas of Newcastle with interesting mixes of redevelopment and old industrial facilities.

It will be quite interesting for most. I used to live in St. Peters Basin so I won't find it that intersting as I used to walk back from the centre of town quite often after one or two light ales.

Mark that section of the walk as a riverside walk through industrial and commercial landscapes. It is not rural but will be interesting. I think it will add quite a lot to the walk. The contrast with the remoter parts of the walk will be interesting.

I can't wait until the three mile straight stretch at the end - think why isn't this like the start or vice versa.

Footsore

• C2C
  • Pennine Way
  • West Highalnd Way
  • South Downs Way
  • St Cuthberts Way
  • North Downs Way
  • Cleveland Way
  • Offa's Dyke Path
  • Hadrian's Wall
  • Dales Way
  • Cumbrian Way

#41173 - 28/03/05 11:50 PM Re: Hadrians Wall - Planned
Robert Parry Offline

Loc: Wales
This is going to be my first LDP. I've seen parts of the wall, but I'm going to take a week and do it.
No sense in saying, in 30 years "If only ..."
Departure date is (provisionally) 20th April.

#41174 - 02/04/05 04:26 PM Re: Hadrians Wall - Planned
HikeMania Offline

Footsore, how was your walk? Hope it all was very enjoyable. Any lessons learned, or things you'd do differently if you were going to plan it again?

I'm curious about the first two days of your walk. Did you start at the coast (at South Shields) rather than starting at Wallsend? If so, what would you recommend to others considering doing the same?

Also, how was the walk from Wallsend to the west side of Newcastle? Was it somewhat boring due to the urban location? Or, was it reasonably interesting along the river?

Did you have a look around the Segedunum Roman Fort at Wallsend? If so, would you say it's worth a visit?

Thanks in advance for any information you provide. We're planning to walk part of the path in May.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917