The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36021 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41248 - 07/03/05 07:44 PM L Y K E W A KE W A L K
ian123 Offline

Hi everyone

has anyone ever heard of this 40 mile ditch of maddness arcoss the north york moors. well being a adventure seeking 15 year old i am attemping this walk in the easter hoildays (05). has everyone ever done this walk and could share any experces, or any word of warning. there will be 3 of us trying the walk, and we all are sick of the english weather and cant rock climb =-(. your throught on the matter would be great

thanks Ian

#41249 - 07/03/05 09:29 PM Re: L Y K E W A KE W A L K
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Its quite a tough one.I started it once but had to quit after ten miles when one of our party got hypothermia due to the freezing,torrential rain.Its best to start early,around 2am,as the first section has easy route finding.That way you can make the most of the daylight and hopefully won't have to navigate in the dark when you are exhhausted.Don't worry about rock climbing as its not a requirement on this walk.Check the forcast and make sure you get decent weather.We would have made it if it wasn't for the rain.Also make sure you have enough food and drink as there are only two places in the first twenty five miles to get refreshments-Lordstones cafe and the Lion Inn.

#41250 - 09/03/05 05:25 PM Re: L Y K E W A KE W A L K
ian123 Offline

thanks for the rely, i was searching google for the walk, and i found your story i think. hmm it but me off a little as sum group members dont have the right equiment for the winter weather. sorry to hear about your bad experce. we were thining to strat the walk at raven scar at around 6am so we hopefully make whitecross before dark, as we no them parts of the moors detailed for climbing. how long would u think the walk would take as, 'memory map's route card gives 13 hours?

#41251 - 19/03/05 09:01 AM Re: L Y K E W A KE W A L K
Trekker Offline

Loc: Birmingham US
Hi Ian,

Last year I was short on time and did the Lyke Wake to finish up my C2C walk. I also made a Double Crossing of the LWW this last January. I made the solo crossing in just over 8 hours, but I had support for the double this winter. I highly recommend having support. The weather was foul and it took 24:45. We were pretty beat-up by the end.

If you can't arrange for support along the way at least make sure that you have someone that knows where you are and when you should be finishing, in case you have problems. Don't count on cell phones.

Contact Gerry at: http://www.lykewake.org/
He has made the crossing more times than anyone I know of and was a great help in our planning. He might even come cheer you on [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

Good luck!

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917