The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41329 - 22/07/08 09:54 PM A different walk
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Just been doing the initial stages of the GR5 trail from Lake Geneva to Nice. Starting at lake level 340m (1105 ft), the trail winds upwards along the side of a steep wooded gorge to a height of approx 1200m (3900 ft). Part way up the gorge a French company runs an outward bound type school, where young people test their nerves and strength by swinging from ropes; climbing netting and walking tightropes. These obstacles (and the youngsters) hang out in space with a sheer drop beneath them of several hundreds of feet down to a raging falling torrent of a river far below. I felt quite ill just watching these death defying teenagers antics from the safety of my 3ft wide path that had been cut into the side of the ravine. The initial climb up from the lake level takes 2.5hrs of unrelenting sweating, horsefly slapping, climbing, topping out on the col surrounded by French alpine peaks. This GR5 trail is not for wimps or those who suffer from vertigo, like me.

#41330 - 23/07/08 02:39 PM Re: A different walk
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Oldun
I've been thinking about you of late, having walked in Switzerland and brushed with GR5 during my walk around Mont Blanc. On the first day I met a young couple - French-speaking - who told me they were on GR5 from Geneva to Nice or Menton for a swim in the Mediterranean. The temperature was approaching 30C, so you can imgine what a good image their destination produced in my addled brain.
I'm mulling over ideas for next year re GR5, the Haute Route, or the Alpine Pass Route. I found the Tour du Mont Blanc absolutely great, but I don't want to do anything that's significantly harder.
Any advice/comments on the relative merits of these walks much appreciated.

#43218 - 31/08/08 11:54 AM Re: A different walk [Re: Stottie]
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Just to make a clean ending to this query. I answered Stottie via email during the time that this site was down.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917