The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41569 - 23/09/05 01:40 PM Camino de Santiago
Kite21 Offline

Loc: Chester, UK
I've just done some walking in La Rioja in Spain and the Camino De Santiago tickled my fancy. Has anyone done it or know anything about it?

I heard it was an old route long before the Christian era. Can anyone confirm?

#41570 - 23/09/05 07:50 PM Re: Camino de Santiago
Fellwanderer Offline

Loc: Durham
Friend of mine spent about two months on it earlier this year. He enjoyed most of it - going from snow through almost desert like conditions. The snow I'd have been happy with but I know I couldn't stand the heat.

#41571 - 19/11/05 06:01 PM Re: Camino de Santiago
chacho Offline

Loc: spain
Hi Kite21,

I am from La Rioja. Did you like it? I hope you enjoyed it.

I havenīt walk the whole Camino de Santiago. In fact, probably nobody has because there are several ways that comes from europe, the south of Spain or the coast. There are three mains paths the best know is the one you have heard about that crosses La Rioja and Castilla-Leon, aboid this one in summer not only because the hot and it is a over crowed too. The 2nd comes from the south and is even hotter. I am getting intersting in a 3rd option that goes close to the Cantabric coast, because is more green and there are no somany people.

Anyway, visit www.caminothesantiago.com it is in english.

If I can help you in some way just let me to know, and excuses for my English.

#41572 - 21/11/05 11:26 PM Re: Camino de Santiago
Kite21 Offline

Loc: Chester, UK
Hola Chacho!

I loved La Rioja...beautiful place, beautiful people. I love the energy and passion of Spain. Where are you from? I went to Logrono, La Guardia, Brinas, Haro, Ezcaray (which I absolutely adored), Santo Domingo, San Millan, Burgos oh and a few other places. There was some fantastic walking through the vineyards and along the Rio Ebro and the Rio Oja with the Cantabian mountains for company. I thouroughly recommend it.

So you can see I would really like to go back and finish what I started. The coastal path of the Camino does look very interesting...but is it easy to get accommodation etc?

Your English is very good, Chacho. I wish my Spanish was as good as your English!

'ta luego!

Kite

#41573 - 26/11/05 10:40 PM Re: Camino de Santiago
yankee clipper Offline

Loc: USA
In France the Camino is called the Chemin St. Jacques. Over five weeks during two successive summers we walked from Le Puy to St. Jean Pied de Port at the foot of the Pyrenees staying in gites, which are bed and breakfast and sometimes dinner equivalents. It was a superior walk through beautiful country, a walk which I would recommend to anyone. We plan to return one day and finish the Spanish portion of the Way of St. James.

#41574 - 27/12/05 07:23 PM Re: Camino de Santiago
chacho Offline

Loc: spain
Hola again,

sorry for the delay Kite21.

I have been looking for a book I saw in the public library, about the coastal path of the Camino de Santiago.

There are plenty accomodation, in fact, there is the same sistem of "alberges" ( Bunkhouses or youth-hostels, is be the more acurate translation I can make)that operates in the main way. It works more or less in this way: you get a card at the begining of the way (whereever you start) and in every "albergue" they put a stamp in the card, so they know that you are realy walking or cycling the way. That give you the right to sleep for 3 or 5 euros. Alberges can be bare bunk beds in old houses or can have all kind of facilities.

THE LINK I GAVE YOU IS WRONG. SILLY ME!
The link is www.caminosantiago.com
It is abailable in English and includes a forum.

I am from Logroņo, and Yes the Ezcaray area is wonderful, it is probably the one which I more like for walking. It have woods, valleys and mountais. The San Lorenzo mountiain is 2228 meters high and is great.
Did you visit the Laurel street in Logroņo? It is famous because the "tapas".

The title of book I refered before is "CAMINO DE SANTIAGO POR LA COSTA O CAMINO DEL NORTE" and you can find in www.everest.es , but it is in Spanish.

Aqui estoy para mas dudas.

[This message has been edited by chacho (edited 27 December 2005).]

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917