The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1696
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36020 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41805 - 18/01/06 09:41 PM tuscany
desertrat Offline

Loc: Lake Havasu City, AZ USA
Has anyone done any independent walking in Tuscany? Did you book through and use Sherpa baggage transfer? I have emailed Sherpa twice to find out if their service is up and running in Tuscany but no answer. If not Sherpa, who did you use? Thanks

#41806 - 24/02/06 12:31 AM Re: tuscany
trailwalker Offline

Loc: Bethlehem, PA, USA
I did Tuscany with a lady friend in June-July 2000 and used Sherpa. They did all the booking ... nice places ... more pricey than in the UK, but you can choose the level of places you want to stay. We started in Volterra, then to San Gimignano, Colle di Val d'Elsa and Monteriggioni, ending in San Columba, near Siena. Sherpa transfers from Pisa to Volterra and from San Columba to Siena were flawless. Baggage transfer was very reliable. They took good care of us. Note that this trip was booked through Sherpa Expeditions, not Sherpa Van Project ... I think the former is the parent company of the latter, but not sure. Addition: I note that just to the left of this message, there's a click for Sherpa Expeditions ... you can book this trip online ... 7 days or 11 days.

[This message has been edited by trailwalker (edited 24 February 2006).]

#41807 - 24/02/06 01:58 AM Re: tuscany
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
Hi DR
I was in Tuscany in 2000 with my wife and did a little walking around Radda but wish I'd had time to do more. We used the book Walking and Eating in Tuscany and Umbria by Lasdun & Davis which really encourages you to walk independently.. They have many walks, about 4 hrs each, that can be strung together between Greve (one hr south of Florence by bus) to Radda and on to Gaiole and Bada (one hr. north of Siena by bus). You can spend quite a few days on the trail especially if you return to Greve. Its certainly great country and there are other walks as well described in the book.

Since you are in the states you can find the book on abebooks.com,, $4 for the 1997 ed. or $8 for the 2005 ed. which I will get next time I go. Oh, the food and wine is great. Have fun whatever you do.

#41808 - 27/02/06 03:53 PM Re: tuscany
Jean from Boston Offline

Desertrat: You do not need a trekking company for this. In October 2004 we walked from Florence to Siena on our own and had a great time. We used a cross between the LP walking in Italy guide and a book called Walking in Tuscany (or similar title) by Gillian (oops I forget the last name, but you can find it on Amazon or somewhere). This is not a recognized route; some of the tracks are marked with the red/white European trail markers, but you'll need maps. Stanfords in London will send you anything you need; I have given up trying to get walking maps here in the states. First day we took a bus from Florence to San Donato in Colline about 40 minutes away (so as to avoid walking through the suburbs of Florence) and set off from there. Our stops were: Poggio alla Croce, Greve, San Michele Park hotel, Radda, Vagliagli, and Siena. These were fairly short days; you could certainly do it faster. After two nights in Siena, we got a bus from Siena to Volterra and walked from there to San Gimignano, then to Certaldo. We booked hotels in advance and carried all our stuff, so we didn't take much. The food and wine were great, the hotels fine if not extremely cheap. We did this in October and had fine weather except for one day. Let me know if you have questions.

#41809 - 27/02/06 10:45 PM Re: tuscany
desertrat Offline

Jean from Boston: A few questions--Do you speak Italian? If not was it a problem? In France they won't talk to you unless you speak French!! I will be in England in June/July to do the C2C so maybe I can get the maps there??? I really don't want to backpack it but what did you do with your main luggage? Thanks
desertrat

#41810 - 28/02/06 06:21 PM Re: tuscany
Jean from Boston Offline

Desertrat: No, we don't speak Italian. I got a tape and phrasebook before we left and tried to learn a few basic things, but we got along fine with hand signals and English. If you go to Stanfords in London you can get all the maps you need for any place in the world. You can also get them some places in Italy, but we like to study the maps in advance to plan out the days. We didn't have any "main luggage." We walked with just the few clothes and things we needed in a smallish backpack, and we weren't camping so we didn't need all that equipment. When we got to Siena we went to a laundromat, then on our way the next day. But we were only away 2 weeks. For longer, we would have left our extra stuff in a hotel or somewhere in Florence and then gone back to get it. Hope this helps.

#41811 - 01/03/06 02:49 AM Re: tuscany
desertrat Offline

Hi Boston
Yes it helps alot. Thanks

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917