The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41830 - 09/02/06 12:18 PM Cumbria Way North - South
H Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Now starting to plan my itinerary for The Cumbria Way in May.

Logistically (Based on the Good Beer Guide!) it would be better to finish in Ulverston, than Carlisle.

Apart from the obvious disadvantage of possibly walking towards the prevailing South-Westerly winds are there any other snags I need to bear in mind? (i.e. ascents/descents are less severe when heading North? - Waymarkers placed more obviously for travel in the opposite direction?)

Doubt I'll change my mind (Moz knows of "Loads" of pubs in the Good Beer Guide for a celebratory 'sherbert' in Ulverston) - but fore-warned is fore-armed etc.

H.

#41831 - 09/02/06 07:48 PM Re: Cumbria Way North - South
Grumps Offline

Loc: UK
H. I walked the Cumbria Way, Carlisle to Ulverston last year and IMHO it is a better walk N to S than the reverse, I have yet to walk it S to N, but I will!.

I found the climb up High Peak a bit tough, it seems never ending also the climb up to Stake Pass appears to be much steeper going up than the path going down into Langdale. A great walk I hope you enjoy it.

#41832 - 11/02/06 03:37 PM Re: Cumbria Way North - South
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
I have walked the route S to N, and N to S twice, all done in under 30 hours non stop. I prefer the N to S way. The slog up High Pike is only as bad as from the opposite direction and I fing the ascent up to Stake Pass from Langstrathdale easier than from Langdale. Landstrathdales path is particularly bad with lots of loose stones underfoot, but you will find that in either direction. The only place I found the navigation more dificult going this way compared to the other was immediatly at sfter reaching the end of Beacon Tarn. DONT TURN TO THE LEFT AT THE FIRST PATH. The path you want is a little further along after crossing the stream and more or less follows in the same direction you took alongside the tarn.
Dave.

#41833 - 12/02/06 08:15 AM Re: Cumbria Way North - South
Geordie Offline

Loc: Scotland
I did the Cumbria Way mid- January south to north, and had rain and wind on my back. It would have been unpleasant going N to S.
Another point to consider: in the unlikely event of bright sunshine, it is much better walking with it on your back.
Lots of good pubs in Ulverston, but they're equally good in Carlisle. As for the ascents, I can't see that there will be much difference either way.

#41834 - 12/02/06 08:15 PM Re: Cumbria Way North - South
Geordie Offline

Loc: Scotland
Forgot to mention earlier that the waymarking is very poor for this walk, especially in the north. I used the Anthony Burton guide, which for the most part was easy to follow. My wife used it walking this route N to S and managed not to get lost, so it can't be too bad!
By the way, a pub you must visit in Ulverston is the Swan, It's owned by the Hawkshead Brewery and offers most of their beers plus a very good guest selection. I would assume that it will be in next year's GBG. Happy Drinking!

#41835 - 14/02/06 11:11 AM Re: Cumbria Way North - South
H Offline

Thanks for the replies guys.

Walking into the Sun, is the biggest drawback, I can envisage, for walking it this way round - I'll just have to hope that the weather is "typical" rather than "exceptional" and sun-blindness shouldn't ever become a problem!

Geordie - I'm aware that Carlisle may have some nice pubs, but it doesn't have a campsite within striking distance of the town centre.

The proximity of the campsite to good pubs is a lot better in Ulverston:- A major consideration when back-packing!

Will definitely keep a look out for "The Swan" - sounds an ideal watering hole.

Thanks, again,
H.

#41836 - 10/05/06 10:34 AM Re: Cumbria Way North - South
H Offline

Just back after some glorious days walking. I'd joked about heading South in the Lakes in May shouldn't be a problem with sun-blindness - 'cos there wouldn't be any - How wrong I was!! -

Was carrying too much kit in the heaet - all my bad weather wear topped the total pack weight up to 40lbs (18kg) and I could've left most of it at home. But got by with plenty of rest stops for a bit of sun-bathing.

Loved the route - especially in this direction - I imagine the finish through the tatty parts of Carlisle would be rather disappointing - It was nice to leave that behind at the start and the finish in Ulverston is very scenic. Missed the Swan and spent all night in the Farmers Arms - Ulverston - a great place to eat & drink! (In GBG)

Campsite at Ulverston also had showers with underfloor heating - What a way to finish - real luxury!

Note - It doesn't seem to be common knowledge that Throstle Hall Farm at Caldbeck will take back-packers - even though its only listed for caravans - Nice quiet friendly place, too!

Mght do it again with her-in-doors one day and B&B it to really enjoy the scenery in a realaxed manner.

Way-marking is poor/negligble which maked a minot irritation of needing to check the map all the time. The Harveys map is not really detailed enough and has slight route changes compared to the Burton guide - which is virtually all you need.

Loved it! Best of the Shorter (sub 75 mile) ones I've done.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917