The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42376 - 12/02/07 10:15 AM Re: The big one
sparnel Offline

Loc: scotland
Hi - I started on the 4th April and reached John O'Groats on the 11th June. I averaged around 16 miles per day. I walked approx 1100 miles, so as you can see, I didn't take the most direct route.

The weather was not good when I started the Penine Way, so I had to leave that and went west. I was not prepared for wintry weather (which was what I got the first day on the PW). I zig-zagged back & forth over the Penines, eventaully heading 'straight' north from Settle. It's a long story but I won't bore you with all the details.

I followed a more or less 'Central' route thru Cornwall & Devon. Lots of villages and country roads. Cornwall is a big county when you have to walk thru it!

I would say to anyone thinking of doing this walk is to make sure you are prepared mentally as well as physically. You have to be 100% committed. I remained that way throughout the whole walk; in fact when I reached John O'Groats, I felt a little disappointed the big adventure had come to an end. I could have walked on thru the Orkneys! (My wife didn't agree though!)

I carried a small tent which I used on only 6 occasions, finding accommodation as I went along. I would do it again, in fact I will do it again!
Best of luck & enjoy your adventure!

Sparnel

#42377 - 14/02/07 04:33 PM Re: The big one
joeO Offline

Loc: Bakewell, Derbyshire, England
Thanks Sparnel
Does anyone know when the midges arrive in Scotland

#42378 - 14/02/07 06:21 PM Re: The big one
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
They get bad from the end of May to September.
Dave.

#42379 - 30/04/07 07:21 PM Re: The big one
samwatts Offline

Loc: San Francisco CA
Any ideas on why it is usually done South to North?

Seems to me if you can beat the Midges out of Scotland, where the days are slightly longer anyway, that it might be better to start from the North....

Or, it it that JOG is so beautiful that it is a better place to end?

My husband and I have made a pact to do this as soon as our children have left home. In the meantime, I am slowly absorbing information...

Sam

#42380 - 30/04/07 07:38 PM Re: The big one
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
I frequently spot Lejog walkers on the road route as they pass through our village of Euxton Lancs on the A49 towards Preston. You can tell them a mile off, usually on their own, looking footsore and wearysom seemingly aimlessly trolling along. I think if I ever do it, and I'd like to, I'd do the LDP version. I just cant see the appeal of walking almost 1,000 mile along the tarmac, no matter how pretty some of the villages may be.
Dave.

[This message has been edited by Slogger (edited 30 April 2007).]

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917