The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42456 - 22/11/06 02:47 PM Gritstone Trail
tomread Offline

This is the nearest path/trail to me. It runs from Disley to Tegg's Nose to Tittersworth to Kidsgrove, and I would like to walk it next year in those 3 day stages.

I have found one company (Byways) who offer the full package - accommodation, breakfasts, packed lunch, map/guide and baggage transfer, but wonder if there are any competitors. I'm also intrigued to know where the accommodations are, and whether they themselves offer evening meals or whether they are close to pubs that do.

Has anyone done it, and what are your thoughts?

#42457 - 22/11/06 05:36 PM Re: Gritstone Trail
Robbie Offline

Loc: Cheshire, UK
Hi Tom,

I also live quite close to this trail and have walked alot of it as part of other circular walks. I've yet to do it as a linear walk in a couple of days but do intend to some time soon. I picked up a useful leaflet from Teggs Nose car park recently which shows a complete map of the trail and a description. I emailed Cheshire County Council for recommendations about b&b on the trail but they were unable to help. If you do it as a two day walk the only pub/b&b just over half way round is in Rushton Spencer, I'll check for the name and come back to you. CCC also produce a similar leaflet for the Sandstone Trail, I used it last week and was most impressed. Actually, the trail is so well waymarked you could walk it without a map or the leaflet.

#42458 - 22/11/06 05:46 PM Re: Gritstone Trail
Robbie Offline

Its the Rushton Inn, only appears to have 2 rooms for b&b.

#42459 - 23/01/07 11:40 AM Re: Gritstone Trail
tomread Offline

We intend taking three days to walk the GT, so will be looking for accommodation and evening meal facilities around Teggs Nose and Timbersbrook. Might well stop over before and after - Disley and Kidsgrove - as well.

I'm just wondering what I can get away with in order to avoid baggage transfer. I'm thinking of travelling very light (in terms of spare clothes), and relying on the possibility of an emergency supply drop from my wife in Macclesfield if necessary.

Accommodations anybody?

#42460 - 24/01/07 01:42 PM Re: Gritstone Trail
tomread Offline

Been studying the maps etc, and if I can avoid baggage transfer and still pack light enough, then looking at the following overnights:

Disley - Rainow - Rushton Spencer - Kidsgrove

Probably the last week in July.

#42461 - 24/01/07 02:20 PM Re: Gritstone Trail
joeO Offline

Loc: Bakewell, Derbyshire, England
I also live close, in the Peak District.
However only done the section between Lyme Park to Rushton Spencer in one day which was relatively easy.
Not many places to stay on route, possible accomodation in Sutton/Langley and also Ruhton Spencer which would split your journey well.
Its a lovely walk. Do it and ENJOY
Joe

#42462 - 19/02/07 03:00 PM Re: Gritstone Trail
tomread Offline

We're now all booked for the GT.
Day 1 - Disley to Rainow (Robin Hood Inn)
[over Bowstones, Sponds Hill & White Nancy]
Day 2 - Rainow to Rushton Spencer (Rushton Inn)
[over Teggs Nose, Sutton Common/Croker Hill & Wincle Minn]
Day 3 - Rushton Spencer to Kidsgrove
[over Bosley Cloud & Mow Cop]

We have dinner, bed & breakfast & packed lunches booked in both accommodations, both of which look more luxurious when compared to the PW with TV, en-suite bathrooms etc. Not stopping over the night before, as the 1st day is the shortest and we will have plenty of time to get the train up from Macc. Not stopping over in Kidsgrove as I drive home through there fom work every day and don't like the look of it! Will just get the train home, maybe after a pub meal - or maybe will wait for a curry in Macc!

Bring it on!

Then it's ODP in 2008 for us.

#42463 - 19/02/07 08:54 PM Re: Gritstone Trail
Robbie Offline

Hi Tom,

I did a circular from Congleton this weekend, taking in the Trail from Croker Hill to The Cloud. After the rain of last week I should have known better but from Hawkslee (after Minn Edge Lane) to the base of the Cloud it was a bit of a glue pit, really heavy going! Good fun though!
I'm planning to do the whole trail as a warm up before the PW in April and plan to stay at the Rushton Inn. If I make it I'll leave feedback.
All the best,
Robbie

#42464 - 23/03/07 12:25 PM Re: Gritstone Trail
Robbie Offline

I will be having a go at doing this trial next week over 2 days. I have found another pub that does b&b on route, The Ryles Arms in Higher Sutton near Macclesfield, looks good and is about half way on the trial. I will report back later about the walk and the pub!
Robbie

#42465 - 01/04/07 08:48 AM Re: Gritstone Trail
Robbie Offline

Completed this trail on Saturday after setting off from Disley on Friday morning. Thoroughly enjoyed the walk, there is an excellent variation in terrain and scenery. The weather was a bit overcast and dull on Friday and robbed me of some potential great views towards the Peaks and across Lyme Park into Manchester. Harrop Bridge near Bollington would make an excellent picnic stop on a hot summer's day. I stopped over on Friday night at the Ryles Arms (just before the climb up Croker Hill), this is around 15 miles into the trail which leaves some 20 miles still to go. The weather on Saturday was alot clearer and out of the north east breeze pretty warm. Again great views from all the ridges you walk along with those from Edge Hill south of Congleton coming as a pleasant suprise. Having done the Sandstone Trail a couple of months back I have to say I enjoyed the Gritstone more although it does involve over 5000 foot of climbing! It doesn't have as many waymarks as the Sandstone but is easy to navigate (only had to refer to OS map once). If you can get hold of the Trail walking guide produced by Cheshire County Council I would thoroughly recommend it (these can also be found at Teggs Nose Country Park).

Robbie

#42466 - 03/04/07 08:07 AM Re: Gritstone Trail
Robbie Offline

Should of added that The Ryles Arms does a nice pint of Twister, a local Macc bitter. Do you know this one Tom?
Robbie

#42467 - 03/04/07 09:23 PM Re: Gritstone Trail
tomread Offline

Sounds like one from the Storm Brewing Company of Macclesfield. All good beers. They also do one called 'Bosley Cloud'.

#42468 - 03/04/07 11:42 PM Re: Gritstone Trail
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Also Beauforts Ale, Bitter Experience, Desert Storm, Brainstorm, Ale Force, Downpour, Tornado, Hurricane Hubert, Windgather, Storm Damage, Silk of Amnesia, Typhoon and others I may have forgotten after a pint or few.

#42469 - 17/07/07 01:11 PM Re: Gritstone Trail
tomread Offline

Less than a week to go now to my first "trail" since the Pennine Way. The past 12 months has been spent doing the more usual Marilyn bagging on day trips and weekends. I am really looking forward to this. Could I have three days of nice weather please?

#42470 - 17/07/07 05:01 PM Re: Gritstone Trail
Kate's Dad Offline

Loc: Derbyshire
Will be interested to hear about this trail Tom. Also to hear about life after Ince. For all sorts of reasons we're not able to do a LDW this year. We are managing a few days away up in "Hartley's" country in Coniston at the start of August.( For those not in the know, Hartley's used to be brewed in Ulverston and was in my opinion the premier bitter in the north west. The brewery was bought by Robinsons and soon closed although a good copy of XB lives on but brewed in Stockport - which doesn't sound very glamorous).

Hope you and Jimmy have good weather and a good time!

#42471 - 06/08/07 09:31 AM Re: Gritstone Trail
tomread Offline

We completed the GT as planned, in the three days 23rd to 25th July 2007. We enjoyed it but it was actually pretty tough.

The first day, Disley to Rainow, was easy at only 7/8 miles, and the ridge walking from Bowstones over Sponds Hill, and later on over Kerridge Hill (the GT veer off before the summit, but carry onto the trig point for a surprisingly narrow bit of ridge) was great.

When we arrived at our accommodation (pub) in Rainow, we were told that they had recently taken the pub over, and were not doing B&B or meals for the time being! However, they did book us into another in Bollington, and gave us a lift down, and another back up in the morning, so no complaints.

The 2nd and 3rd days - Rainow to Rushton Spencer, and Rushton Spencer to Kidsgrove - were as tough as any two consecutive days on the Pennine Way, but were, like the first, full of features and interest.

I would imagine that you and Janet would enjoy the GT Kevin, for it is very much like the PW in character. There is lots of variety, and you get all the same components - ie high remote moorland, lots of hills to climb, country pubs, old industrial villages, old quarries, canalside/riverside walking, trig points, cairns, panoramic views etc etc - you get the picture.

I will soon have a set of photos on my website.

#42472 - 08/08/07 04:00 PM Re: Gritstone Trail
tomread Offline

Gritstone Trail, Day 1, now online at http://tomread.co.uk

#42473 - 14/08/07 12:13 PM Re: Gritstone Trail
tomread Offline

Gritstone Trail, Day 2, now online at http://tomread.co.uk

#42474 - 15/08/07 09:10 PM Re: Gritstone Trail
tomread Offline

Gritstone Trail, Day 3, now online at http://tomread.co.uk

#42475 - 20/08/07 06:04 PM Re: Gritstone Trail
Kate's Dad Offline

Great tip from Tom! The Gritstone Trail is superb. We did it in two days, 17.5 each day with an overnight in a pub near Wincle. From the deer in Lyme park to the canalside finish this is a great trail with superb views. Well signposted for the most part but with some careful navigation needed at times. It also has its physically demanding sections and you under estimate this trail at you peril.

Really sunny weather on the Monday but dreadful conditions on the Tuesday - and that extra challenge makes trail walking more rewarding.

Once again, thanks Tom. Really enjoyed the walk and also your journal.

#42476 - 22/08/07 11:05 PM Re: Gritstone Trail
tomread Offline

Great stuff Kevin. Did you stop in the Crag or the Ship or the Ryles? Even with a 3 day sked, I found days 2 and 3 really tough, harder than most days on PW!

Good walk innit? Just missing a few Youth Hostels and the odd waterfall!

#42477 - 24/08/07 09:01 AM Re: Gritstone Trail
Kate's Dad Offline

None of those Tom. We saw the Rose and Crown at Allgreave near Wincle website and they said they would pick us up from the A54, which they did, for free. The stay was OK but nothing more than that. Similar to the beer really....

#42478 - 24/08/07 03:06 PM Re: Gritstone Trail
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
I had food poisoning after eating at the Rose and Crown but that was many, many years ago under a different licensee and it's okay now. Nothing wrong with the Robinsons beer there then and now.

#44078 - 01/12/08 06:26 PM Re: Gritstone Trail [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Robbie Offline

Completed the trail again over last Friday and Saturday, staying overnight at the Ryles Arms again. They now have a local Wincle beer as the main available on draught,Sir Peter @ 4.2%, tasty if not a little "fruity" for my pallet. The walk appeared to be tougher than I remember,this time I walked from south to north which could account for my perecption of its difficulty. The weather as you may guess was a little chilly but on Saturday above the fog along the hill tops the views were fantastic, at times above the clouds it felt like being in a plane! All in all a good couple of days and thoroughly recommended to all.
Robbie

#44300 - 26/12/08 06:23 PM Re: Gritstone Trail [Re: Robbie]
bogstomper Offline

I completed the Gritstone Trail in 2006 and yes it is a memorable walk and one that I shall do again sometime.
I stayed at Heaton House Farm in Rushton Spencer for one night (30). The b & b is about a mile from the pubs in the village, but the landlady offers lifts to & from the town, in fact she was an excellent hostess and I can fully recommend the Heaton House Farm to other walkers on the GT.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917