The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42595 - 13/04/07 10:45 PM Great Glen Way
Jim Greig Offline

Loc: Manchester
I'm walking this with my wife in May. Mixing camping with a B&B and Hostel.

Although it is mostly planned, I was wondering if anyone has done before and has any advise that may be of use for our trip?

#42596 - 18/04/07 03:23 PM Re: Great Glen Way
H Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Hi Jim,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but we did this as a follow-on fron the West Highland Way - Back-packing the whole two weeks.

The GGW is tedium personified for many of its stretches, and very hard underfoot as well - Most of it could be done in trainers - and your soles would thank you for it.

Some excellent pubs along the way were one of the few highlights, but you spend an awful lot of time in thick coniferous woods screened from any views.

Sorry [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/frown.gif[/img]

H.

#42597 - 25/04/07 05:02 PM Re: Great Glen Way
Jim Greig Offline

Thanks for your comments.

As a result, I have told my wife that our week away together from the kids and the concerns of modern day life has been cancelled because we will have sore feet and nothing to look at but trees.

We have decided to stay at home and watch the TV instead.

I have thrown away the boots, sack etc as I no longer see the point of walking.

Thank you helping me to see sense.

ex walker.

#42598 - 25/04/07 05:34 PM Re: Great Glen Way
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Jim lad, Perhaps not a bad decision as I hear there are some decent programmes on the goggle box these days including the occasional one about Wainwright's walks.

#42599 - 25/04/07 07:35 PM Re: Great Glen Way
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Jim,
I am sure H was just trying to be helpfull. I remember when my pal and myself were planning our walk of the Offas Dyke Path. We got nothing but negative comments about it, which I thought at the time were a bit rude as they knew we were looking forward to it. As it turned out they did have a bit of a point, but we made it work and really enjoyed it. In fact I am thinking of doing it again in reverse. I have also heard negative things about the Great Glen Way as H mentioned, especially from those that continued on after completing the West Highland Way. I think these were expecting an extension of similar aspects found on the WHW, however it seems it is an entirely diferent type of walk, and therein lies their dissapointment. You know you will enjoy it no matter what, all the best.
Dave.

#42600 - 26/04/07 04:28 AM Re: Great Glen Way
hootrooster Offline

Loc: Victoria, B.C. Canada
I've been thinking of doing the GGW, and if there is a lot of forest I would be interested rather than bored.

#42601 - 27/04/07 09:14 AM Re: Great Glen Way
H Offline

Jim,
Oops! - Beeter leap to my own defence here ...

Firstly, we had just walked the WHW - so anything could have been a bit of an anti-climax, as we'd had a superb first 7 days.

Secondly, this meant that the GGW was walked West-to East, possibly not the best direction for views etc.

Thirdly - The paths are often hard, stony or (Horror!) Tarmac - not good news on feet that have already got a bit tired from WHW.

There were some highlights:-

Camping at Laggan Locks - superb views, wonderfully quiet and the friendly lock-keeper keeps a toilet open all night for you - Look out for the pub-on-a-barge if still moored there.

The campsite at Invermoriston - very friendly - really trying hard to make it very back-packer friendly.

Loch Oich, Loch Lochi and Loch Laggan, all very scenic.

Low lights - Thick coniferous forest on the Eastern end - Dead wrt wildlife, no views and airless. (Hootroot - it IS dull - the decid. woods at the Western end are better!)

You never get to see Castle Urquhart - even though its photo appears as an iconic feature of the walk. (Needs a big detour/excursion)

Several rather pointless and painfully slow climbs to reach a minor tarmaced road above Loch Ness.

The thing to bear in mind is that this was originally developed as a cycle route - and cyclist like well compacted paths, gradients that aren't to steep (Which makes some climbs amazingly long!) - and that they're not bothered about views, except now and again.

Just trying to fore-warn not to expect too much - I'd love to know whether you agree with me (a little?)when you get back.

Now if you'd asked about the C-2-C the Cumbria Way, The Dales Way, the West Highland Way, or even the Herriot Way, I'd have been waxing lyrical instead! - Don't get hooked on day-time TV before trying at least one of those next year. [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

#42602 - 27/04/07 02:04 PM Re: Great Glen Way
Jim Greig Offline

Thanks all..inc H

Seriously, the walk is still on and despite the negatives I am sure it will be fine. Personally, I found stretches of the WHW/HW/PW disapointing and I would expect that on any LDP. I suffered sore feet on the first few days of the PW I did last year...hard stone slabs....You can't expect perfection all the time. I am sure that the opportunity to spend some quality time with my wife will more than make up for the other disapointments.

Also, to see coniferous forests still in tack unlike stretches of the WHW and PW where it looked as though they have simply been torn from the ground would make a change.

Unfortunately, the campsite near Invermoriston is not open to Campers this year due to some improvement work that is going on. So it's B&B in Invermoriston. As for the detour to the castle...We'll see on the day.

We have also planned an extra night in Inverness so we can sample fully the delights of teh capital of the Highlands.

Of course, I will let you know what happens. The Highs and the Lows.

Until then, I will go and recover my boots and rucksack from the bin....I will need them for this weekends trip in to the White Peak.

ex ex walker.

#42603 - 27/04/07 03:28 PM Re: Great Glen Way
H Offline

Jim,

Do camp at Laggan Locks if you can fit it into the itinerary - that spot still has 'Magical' memories of one of the best spots to pitch a tent I've found. - So good that I, sadly, have about 4 photos of my tent from various angles to set the scene, plus two from inside through the door to show the views!

#42604 - 27/04/07 03:35 PM Re: Great Glen Way
Jim Greig Offline

H

As my wife is not into the wildcamp thing, and there are no organised sites at Laggan, we are using the hostel for our overnight there.

I look forward to the views.

Jim

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917