The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42605 - 29/05/07 12:00 PM Re: Great Glen Way
Jim Greig Offline

Loc: Manchester
We have now completed this walk and returned home.

73 miles plus some off trail walking totalling around 190,000 steps.

Mixed camping with one night hostel and one night B&B and had a sight seeing day in Inverness.

Ended up with a blister (of all things) at the end of day one. See comments in other topics.

A fairly easy walk with few inclines, most of which are polished off quickly. Mostly hard gravel surfaces and paths. A few switchbacks, the most annoying being the walk into Invermoriston. A longish day (18 miles), a sore foot and a trail heading by and past the village just to return a mile or so later.

Views of all waterways/lochs and surroundings up to Fort Agustus on Loch Ness. Afterwards, just glimpses through the trees if at all. Most of the last day is spent well away from the valley and on the most boring forestry track across bland landscape. Heavy rain and mist didn't help though.

I agree, not a walk to do if scenery and challenge is what you are looking for and yes, WHW is better. However, so many people on it as we passed on the way to and from Fort William. I don't remember it being that busy in 2001!

High points:
-Grog & Gruel in Fort William...I love this pub and visit each time I am in town.
-???Being made to feel inadequate and a part time walker by the munroists in Laggan SYHA who would not consider doing a long distance trail until "they were in a wheelchair"
-Excellent food in the Invermoriston Hotel (if a bit pricey by my pub grub standards) and the company we kept.
-Shapla Indian Restuarant where we ate to celebrate our completion in Inverness.
-Hootenannay's pub in Inverness. Good beer and "free" live music.

Time to start thinking about my next trail challenge before the wheels on my chair rust!

Any ideas?

#42606 - 29/05/07 04:39 PM Re: Great Glen Way
Ash Offline

Loc: Selby
I agree on the Grog and Gruel. good pub, good food, good atmosphere.

#42607 - 07/04/08 01:25 PM Re: Great Glen Way
Chrissy Offline

Loc: Newquay, Cornwall
Hi Jim

We are off to do the GGW in May and it will be my Mum's 70th birthday on the last day of the walk. I have been trying to find a nice photo online along the trail that I could borrow/steal to make up a card for her. Is there any chance you would have any nice views along the canal that you would be prepared to donate to a good cause??!!
Thanks in advance
Chrissy [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

#42608 - 08/04/08 03:48 PM Re: Great Glen Way
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
I must heartily disagree with the elitist Munroists for their narrow minded attitude and comments. I am a Munroist along with threeother of my compannions. We dont hang about and usually do up to three times as many Munro's in a day as your average Munroist. We love the tops, the scrambles, narrow ridges, ice climbing, horendous conditions and long, long days. I also love long distance routes, they are completely different to Munro baggin, but I believe all forms of walking are great whether country walking or high top scrambling. The Munroists concerned sound very inexperienced and obviously carried away with their own bravado.
Dave.

#42609 - 08/04/08 04:29 PM Re: Great Glen Way
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
If I met someone who:-

"-???Being made to feel inadequate and a part time walker by the munroists in Laggan SYHA who would not consider doing a long distance trail until "they were in a wheelchair"

to start with I wouldn't feel inadequate just older, wiser and perhaps not as fit but I would be off to talk with someone else a little more interesting even if we ended up talking about politics! On second thoughts I might just stay and argue with the other guy!
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

#42610 - 09/04/08 02:41 PM Re: Great Glen Way
Jim Greig Offline

Loc: Manchester
A year on and some large psychiatrist bills later I am over the belittling of the GGW challenge and recovering from the bouts of aggrophobia.

Seriously, we are all prone to moments of bravado and whilst it did P*ss me off at the time I bear no grudges....I've paid a lot to be able to say that so I'll say it again...I bear no grudges.

As regards the photos Chrissy, yes we took a few on our travels that I will gradly commit to disc and post to you to use as you see fit. I'm no Derry Brabbs though!

If you give me an address I will get them in the post by return.

Jim

#42611 - 09/04/08 06:34 PM Re: Great Glen Way
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
I just read quickly through the whole of this thread because I might use part of the GGW on a walk next year.

The thread shows an interesting variance of opinion on the delights or otherwise of walking through forests. When I show Australians postcards of our countryside they say sympathetically, "Oh dear. There's almost no bush." My response is that we're used to it that way, and we're likely to argue passionately against any new afforestation proposals. To us, forests (or "bush")are the exception in our landscape, and upland swathes of conifers amount to a particularly unwelcome intrusion.

When I walked the WHW seven years ago the leaves were only just starting to open, so the walk along Loch Lomond was still enriched by views through the branches towards the sparkling cornices on the Arrochar Alps. The date was late April, and not only were the leaves absent, so too were the midges. I guess I'll always try to walk in Scotland around that time, for those benefits.

#42612 - 10/04/08 08:02 AM Re: Great Glen Way
Chrissy Offline

Loc: Newquay, Cornwall
Thanks Jim.

You could just email a few to me if that's easier? Not sure if my email address shows - [email protected]

Will let you know how we get on in May, although we always have a great time which ever walk we do!!

#42613 - 10/04/08 08:28 AM Re: Great Glen Way
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
I love the barren wind swept wastes of northern Britain. Peace, solitude, birds and McDonalds wrappers.

#42614 - 10/04/08 09:36 AM Re: Great Glen Way
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
They really should stop the McDonald clan from throwing away their wrappers!
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917