The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42903 - 14/10/07 01:27 PM Hadrians Wall Bus AD122
Robin Offline

Loc: living in Bavaria, Germany
Last May/June, my wife and I walked the Hadrians Wall East to West. It was very enjoyable and also the weather was good. We do, however, have one bad memory of the walk which I wanted to warn other walkers about.
On Monday 4th June 2007, after having completed the Hadrianís Wall Walk, we left Bowness on Solway on the 08:30 Bus (AD122). The Bus driver was very friendly and helpful and we bought two tickets to Newcastle (£ 5.85 each). He informed us that the bus did not continue through to Newcastle and we would have to change buses enroute. I asked him where the best place to change buses was (Haltwhistle or Hexham), and he replied that both places were OK but he would recommend Hexham as there was more to do whilst waiting for the ongoing connection. The original driver was replaced by a new one at Carlisle. On arrival at Hexham TIC (11:23), I confirmed with the driver that the ongoing connection would also pick us up at the same place at 12:03.

Whilst waiting at Hexham, we went into the TIC and managed to get a timetable for our ongoing bus trip to Seahouses.
As of 11:50 we were sitting on the benches outside the TIC waiting for the Bus. Two American Ladies were also waiting for this bus.
Just before 12:00 (timetable states 12:03), the AD122 drove into the square, drove slowly past the bus stop and, without opening the doors, sped away again! We did not have a chance to get up, get our rucksacks and walk the few yards to the Bus and the driver did not react to us getting up, or even to us waving as he drove past. The two American Ladies gave chase right around the square but all to no avail.

All four of us went into the TIC to see how we could now get to Newcastle and the Lady in the TIC was also annoyed that such an incident should happen and promised to complain on our behalf as well. She suggested that we take the next train to Newcastle which left the Railway Station at 12:23. This meant not only running to the Station with our rucksacks, but also having to buy two further tickets (£ 4.80 each) for a trip for which we had, to all intents and purposes, already paid for.
Thanks to the TIC Lady and the Train, (but no thanks to the Hadrianís Wall Bus AD122) we manages to reach our onward connection from Newcastle Haymarket at 01:30. We were, however, not only angry and out of breath, but also £ 9.60 out of pocket.

I wrote to "Stagecoach in Cumbria" and received a very prompt and friendly reply. They stated that they were only responsible for the Bowness to Hexham part of the route whilst "Classic Coaches" run the Haltwhistle to Newcastle part. He said that he would pass our letter onto "Classic Coaches". As I did not hear from them, I wrote to "Classic Coaches" myself with my complaint. Todate, I have not heard from them despite the 2nd letter having been sent in July.

The point of this long message is to warn any others who intend boarding the AD122 at Haltwhistle of Hexham and advise them to stand on the road by the bus stop well in advance of the advatised departure time of the bus.

Best of Luck - Robin

#42904 - 14/10/07 05:45 PM Re: Hadrians Wall Bus AD122
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Quote:
Originally posted by Robin:
Last May/June, my wife and I walked the Hadrians Wall East to West. It was very enjoyable and also the weather was good. We do, however, have one bad memory of the walk which I wanted to warn other walkers about.
On Monday 4th June 2007, after having completed the Hadrianís Wall Walk, we left Bowness on Solway on the 08:30 Bus (AD122). The Bus driver was very friendly and helpful and we bought two tickets to Newcastle (£ 5.85 each). He informed us that the bus did not continue through to Newcastle and we would have to change buses enroute. I asked him where the best place to change buses was (Haltwhistle or Hexham), and he replied that both places were OK but he would recommend Hexham as there was more to do whilst waiting for the ongoing connection. The original driver was replaced by a new one at Carlisle. On arrival at Hexham TIC (11:23), I confirmed with the driver that the ongoing connection would also pick us up at the same place at 12:03.

Whilst waiting at Hexham, we went into the TIC and managed to get a timetable for our ongoing bus trip to Seahouses.
As of 11:50 we were sitting on the benches outside the TIC waiting for the Bus. Two American Ladies were also waiting for this bus.
Just before 12:00 (timetable states 12:03), the AD122 drove into the square, drove slowly past the bus stop and, without opening the doors, sped away again! We did not have a chance to get up, get our rucksacks and walk the few yards to the Bus and the driver did not react to us getting up, or even to us waving as he drove past. The two American Ladies gave chase right around the square but all to no avail.

All four of us went into the TIC to see how we could now get to Newcastle and the Lady in the TIC was also annoyed that such an incident should happen and promised to complain on our behalf as well. She suggested that we take the next train to Newcastle which left the Railway Station at 12:23. This meant not only running to the Station with our rucksacks, but also having to buy two further tickets (£ 4.80 each) for a trip for which we had, to all intents and purposes, already paid for.
Thanks to the TIC Lady and the Train, (but no thanks to the Hadrianís Wall Bus AD122) we manages to reach our onward connection from Newcastle Haymarket at 01:30. We were, however, not only angry and out of breath, but also £ 9.60 out of pocket.

I wrote to "Stagecoach in Cumbria" and received a very prompt and friendly reply. They stated that they were only responsible for the Bowness to Hexham part of the route whilst "Classic Coaches" run the Haltwhistle to Newcastle part. He said that he would pass our letter onto "Classic Coaches". As I did not hear from them, I wrote to "Classic Coaches" myself with my complaint. Todate, I have not heard from them despite the 2nd letter having been sent in July.

The point of this long message is to warn any others who intend boarding the AD122 at Haltwhistle of Hexham and advise them to stand on the road by the bus stop well in advance of the advatised departure time of the bus.

Best of Luck - Robin

A useful warning, especially for those from abroad, and a reminder that buses in Britain regularly depart a few minutes before the advertised times, this being one of the means by which their drivers can avoid the inconvenience of carrying passengers.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917