The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43003 - 13/08/08 08:29 AM Where to go?
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
I've managed to get 6 days free for walking starting 23rd August. Can't decide where to go. I've walked the PW and C2C and loved them but don't want to go back just yet. I've also walked the South Downs Way - but didn't like that so much because it seemed too near to civilisation and cars were always within earshot.

Earlier this year, I did my first attempt at camping and walking along the Dales Way - which I enjoyed (I think - maybe rose tinted spectacles - I can't remember now how much my back ached) - so I'm probably looking at camping and walking again.

I'm probably looking for some climbing but not heavy duty climbing because I'm not as fit as I should be (work, stress, life etc).

I'll probably end up going wherever there's the best chance of reasonable weather - but can anyone give me any ideas that meet the criteria of 6 days/late August/camping possibilities/sufficiently untamed/medium level climbing?

#43011 - 13/08/08 02:02 PM Re: Where to go? [Re: Bliss 60]
Black Sailor Offline

The West Highland Way might be worth considering:

6 days - ideally needs seven

late August - a good time, after Scottish school terms have started. Could be midgy at times though

Camping - definitely

Sufficiently untamed - mostly, yes

Medium level climbing - available nearby.

But I guess it may not offer 'the best chance of reasonable weather'! But it's a terrific route.

#43012 - 13/08/08 03:08 PM Re: Where to go? [Re: Black Sailor]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
I did the Offas Dyke Path in six days a few years back and enjoyed it.

#43013 - 13/08/08 03:09 PM Re: Where to go? [Re: Black Sailor]
Lounge Lizard Offline

I did the Offas Dyke Path in six days a few years back and enjoyed it.

#43026 - 13/08/08 06:41 PM Re: Where to go? [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
I agree with Black Sailor, the West Highland Way. Camping is available at most of the usual stopovers and you could wild camp on the banks/beach of Loch Lomond and on Ranoch Moor at the rear of the Kinghouse Hotel at the head of Glen Coe.
Dave.

#43038 - 16/08/08 09:34 AM Re: Where to go? [Re: Slogger]
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Thanks guys for all these suggestions. Turns out I only have 5 days now, so that limits the options a bit. I've heard that the WHW is a great walk - so I'm thinking I might leave that until I have a bit more time available to enjoy it (I'm not really a speed walker - more of a solid trudger). The options I am looking at now are:

a) the South half of Offa's Dyke

b) the Cumbrian Way

c) mindful of what someone said elsewhere that we can make our own walks up - I'm toying with a Westmorland walk. I remember standing on Cross Fell thinking what's it like over there - looking at the Lakes; and then standing on the Lakes nostalgically remembering being on Cross Fell - so I was wondering about a walk to join them up - so getting the train to Appleby - then going up the "danger area" at Warcop - which the website tells me is open to walkers when I will be there - then coming back down High Cup Nick to Dufton - then back up to Cross Fell - then cutting across Westmorland to Hesket Newmarket and down the Cumbrian Way to Blencathra and then up and over to Hellvelyn and down to Patterdale. I think that'd be my five days or thereabouts - but not quite sure yet how I'd travel back from there. Well it looks good on the map. I think I'll call it the Bliss Way!!!

d) or the weather may get the better of me and I might just end up on the Cotswolds Way (living in Birmingham - someone has to - the Cotswolds is where I go mostly for my day walking - nice enough but its not the North). Incidentally people might like the little story that came out yesterday that Birmingham's lovely council put out a leaflet to Birmingham residents with a supposed picture of our skyline - which actually turned out to be Birmingham Alabama. Even our council disowns us.

Don't know if it means I lose all my walkers credibility - but somehow I tend to prefer a bit of sunshine in my walking - so I'll probably see what the weather holds in store.

But as I say - many thanks for the thoughts.

#43040 - 16/08/08 10:19 AM Re: Where to go? [Re: Bliss 60]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: Bliss 60
Thanks guys for all these suggestions. Turns out I only have 5 days now, so that limits the options a bit. I've heard that the WHW is a great walk - so I'm thinking I might leave that until I have a bit more time available to enjoy it (I'm not really a speed walker - more of a solid trudger). The options I am looking at now are:

a) the South half of Offa's Dyke

b) the Cumbrian Way

c) mindful of what someone said elsewhere that we can make our own walks up - I'm toying with a Westmorland walk. I remember standing on Cross Fell thinking what's it like over there - looking at the Lakes; and then standing on the Lakes nostalgically remembering being on Cross Fell - so I was wondering about a walk to join them up - so getting the train to Appleby - then going up the "danger area" at Warcop - which the website tells me is open to walkers when I will be there - then coming back down High Cup Nick to Dufton - then back up to Cross Fell - then cutting across Westmorland to Hesket Newmarket and down the Cumbrian Way to Blencathra and then up and over to Hellvelyn and down to Patterdale. I think that'd be my five days or thereabouts - but not quite sure yet how I'd travel back from there. Well it looks good on the map. I think I'll call it the Bliss Way!!!

d) or the weather may get the better of me and I might just end up on the Cotswolds Way (living in Birmingham - someone has to - the Cotswolds is where I go mostly for my day walking - nice enough but its not the North). Incidentally people might like the little story that came out yesterday that Birmingham's lovely council put out a leaflet to Birmingham residents with a supposed picture of our skyline - which actually turned out to be Birmingham Alabama. Even our council disowns us.

Don't know if it means I lose all my walkers credibility - but somehow I tend to prefer a bit of sunshine in my walking - so I'll probably see what the weather holds in store.

But as I say - many thanks for the thoughts.

Bliss, Regarding d) your suggestion of a walk in the Cotswolds, there's The Donnington Way, a 62 mile walk devised by Colin Handy in 1991 linking the fifteen public houses owned by the Donnington Brewery and detailed in a 48 page guidebook published by Reardon & Son of Cheltenham, ISBN 1 874192 00 6, from good bookshops or e-bay.
Yes, I saw that Birmingham leaflet on the news, only a local authority could make such a mistake, and the employee responsible probably didn't even get disciplined let alone sacked.

#43043 - 16/08/08 12:21 PM Re: Where to go? [Re: Lounge Lizard]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Hi Bliss 60
i think the c walk you describe would be a great walk,
you would want settled weather though, say an Indian summer in September

#43044 - 16/08/08 01:01 PM Re: Where to go? [Re: tim smith]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Hi bliss
back again
just realised the wife & i are staying with my Daughter and her family at Poolybridge 23rd'' so i will hope you have good weather and a bit of it may drop on us, if you decide to walk the c walk will keep my eye open for you , i shall sneak my walking boots with me but i think that the family will keep a tight rein on me.

#43053 - 18/08/08 05:59 PM Re: Where to go? [Re: Bliss 60]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: Bliss 60

living in Birmingham - someone has to .

There are worse places than Birmingham, Prestatyn and Wigan for example, but I find living 28 miles away is plenty near enough. The art gallery, botanic gardens and CBSO concerts are worth a visit, but New Street must be one the most dismal railway stations in Britain - it's mostly underground and you emerge through a shopping centre on the way out for a pint or two between trains in the Old Joint Stock, Wellington or a Wetherspoons. Central Birmingham must have more vile 1960s concrete than anywhere else in Western Europe and walking through 'The Gun Quarter' last year I realised that the name is still appropriate - once they were made there, now they are used there. Tranquility can be found though walking along many of the old canal towpaths.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917