The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36021 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43052 - 18/08/08 02:06 PM The luxury of wet feet !
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
Work is pretty quiet here so thought I would just post this.

I decided to walk up Helvellyn yesterday. The becks were overflowing and stepping stones submerged. Having worked hard to keep my feet dry, my boots (not gortex lined) succumbed when my dog leapt over a gushing stream at the same time as me and kindly knocked me back into the water.

No harm done except my feet were now wet ! Then I realised the pressure was off and I no longer had to plan my next few yards to keep my feet dry. The rest of the walk was therefore more relaxing and sort of more direct !!

#43060 - 19/08/08 08:05 AM Re: The luxury of wet feet ! [Re: Janice & Rottie]
peter1945 Offline

Loc: Mid North Coast, NSW, Australi...
Hi
You must live in a great part of the country to go walking there whenever you feel like it! It's a bit hard from this side of the world, but certainly miss the C2C from last year.
Cheers,
Peter.

#43064 - 19/08/08 01:42 PM Re: The luxury of wet feet ! [Re: peter1945]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Hi Peter,

Yes I am very privilaged living in the Lake District. I have views of Coniston Old Man from my bedroom window.

I have walked in the Blue Mountains on your side of the world...very beautiful...just got nervous about the huge spiders I might meet.

#43065 - 19/08/08 02:37 PM Re: The luxury of wet feet ! [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Spartacus Offline

Loc: Cumbria, UK
Janice
I found this attitude to be very liberating when I started walking in trail shoes, especially the Inov-8s I have now. After the first few steps on wet ground the feet are wet and there's not reason to be dodging about or jumping over wet bits - you just plough on through.

Inov-8s and trail shoes changed the way I feel about wet feet. As long as you look after them at the end of the day there is no damage done.

#43068 - 19/08/08 03:03 PM Re: The luxury of wet feet ! [Re: Spartacus]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: Spartacus
Janice
I found this attitude to be very liberating when I started walking in trail shoes, especially the Inov-8s I have now. After the first few steps on wet ground the feet are wet and there's not reason to be dodging about or jumping over wet bits - you just plough on through.

Inov-8s and trail shoes changed the way I feel about wet feet. As long as you look after them at the end of the day there is no damage done.

Wet feet needn't be a problem and I can't understand why so many ramblers put so much effort into getting boots and gaiters that ensure that their feet stay bone dry. None of my postal worker colleagues wear boots, just shoes or trainers and we're out in all weathers ( persistant rain all last week and this ) on all sorts of terrain for six hours a day. Perhaps ramblers wear boots just because others ramblers wear boots, just like most people wear underwear because everyone else does.

#43077 - 20/08/08 08:33 AM Re: The luxury of wet feet ! [Re: Lounge Lizard]
peter1945 Offline

Loc: Mid North Coast, NSW, Australi...
Hi LL
I find that boots give my ankles more support over rough ground and better on the soles of my feet. Would really like to wear light footwear, and did, doing some early training recently, instead of my boots. My joggers/runners/etc were middle of the road (no pun) but I think gave me the problem I wrote about in answer to Becca's message about tendonitis in General Chat.

#43078 - 20/08/08 01:39 PM Re: The luxury of wet feet ! [Re: peter1945]
Janice & Rottie Offline

I like the ankle support too, but I certainly won't worry about wet feet again. They felt warm and comfortable for the rest of the walk. I have been walking for years and now I have been educated !!!

#43079 - 20/08/08 03:20 PM Re: The luxury of wet feet ! [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Peter and Janice. I hadn't thought of it like that. Perhaps I'm just fortunate in having strong ankles that don't need supporting.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917