The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36021 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43059 - 19/08/08 05:57 AM Re: Where to go? [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
When you live here, you learn not to go to the centre of town unless you have to. There are some good things here, but you have to look hard to find them. Also - having lived here for most of my life, I sometimes get a perverse pleasure out of 70s concrete architecture - at least what's left of it is still a defining characteristic of the city, and even if it didn't quite work, some of the concrete had a grand and noble vision - and I'm always really disappointed when they get rid of 70s mosaics. And does anyone think that the new Bull Ring is anything but hideous? The old Bull Ring was typically Birmingham. The new one could be any town - and I'm sure in 20 years they'll be pulling it all down for the next generation to put up something equally hideous. I'd have to agree that Birmingham New Street is a carbuncle - but you get used to it.

#43106 - 22/08/08 07:07 AM Re: Where to go? [Re: tim smith]
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Sadly the Bliss Way is going to have to wait for another day. I didn't quite realise that it was a bank holiday weekend, and on making a few enquiries about campsites, it sounded like everything anywhere near Westmorland was booked out. I could have wild camped - and quite liked the idea of being perched overnight up at High Cup Nick (or Cross Fell - has anyone ever wild camped up there?) - but then I came over all Mr Lizard like (sorry mate - not trying to pinch your curmudgeon crown - that's safe with you) - and thought if its all booked up, that'll mean people everywhere and not much opportunity for the solitude and isolation I wanted.

So I'm going to the other extreme - a jolly stroll in the Cotswolds to keep my finger in (or legs). I'm certainly not going to get much solitude or isolation down there, but the weather looks better down here, and it'll do for the moment. Would have been good to meet up Tim - and thanks for offering but some other time.

#43111 - 22/08/08 04:19 PM Re: Where to go? [Re: Bliss 60]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
hi Bliss,
you never know, as you say, maybe some other time, have good walk in the Cotswolds

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917