The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43099 - 21/08/08 08:27 PM Re: young legs [Re: joyce taylor]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Joyce, don't bother to respond. It isn't worth it.

#43100 - 21/08/08 10:07 PM Re: young legs [Re: Harland]
Nick Mac Offline

Loc: Cleckheaton
Joyce may not bother but I will.

LL as you are someone who has no idea what the stages are like on the PW, but still feel the need to belittle the efforts of those who make the effort, I feel it's time you gave the PW a go!

For those youngsters still to be running around after 250 miles of walking over the watershed of England, in lets face it bloody atraucas weather, over 19 days is some achievement.

As for the comments about the youth of today, they may be a waste of space in Staffordshire, but just look at what is happening over in China.

If it was just left to grumpy sarcastic old men like yourself the world would be a sad old place. Instead of bringing down the youth of today why don't you try praising their efforts, encouraging, because I can asure your negativity only breeds negativity (and contempt for those who inflict it).

Nick Mac

#43101 - 21/08/08 10:11 PM Re: young legs [Re: Nick Mac]
Nick Mac Offline

PS before you start with the sarcasm I know I can't spell!

#43104 - 22/08/08 05:46 AM Re: young legs [Re: Nick Mac]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: Nick Mac
Joyce may not bother but I will.

LL as you are someone who has no idea what the stages are like on the PW, but still feel the need to belittle the efforts of those who make the effort, I feel it's time you gave the PW a go!

For those youngsters still to be running around after 250 miles of walking over the watershed of England, in lets face it bloody atraucas weather, over 19 days is some achievement.

As for the comments about the youth of today, they may be a waste of space in Staffordshire, but just look at what is happening over in China.

If it was just left to grumpy sarcastic old men like yourself the world would be a sad old place. Instead of bringing down the youth of today why don't you try praising their efforts, encouraging, because I can asure your negativity only breeds negativity (and contempt for those who inflict it).

Nick Mac

Mac. If you choose to interpret my comments as belittleing the efforts of those who make an effort then so be it.

#43105 - 22/08/08 06:54 AM Re: young legs [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Ahhh - those halcyon dickensian days! Young people happily descending down pit for an exciting and fulfilling 12 hour day! Elderly people ruminating on the joys of life down workhouse! Industrialists wonderfully unfettered and building our wonderful climate change and ozone depleted culture! And of course if you were really stuck for something to do - you could always join the army and wipe out another country's indigenous culture. And if you didn't quite fit - there was always the splendours of the debtors prison or the hangman's noose! Yippee! The land where the sun never set and everything was either black or white.

#43115 - 22/08/08 09:38 PM Re: young legs [Re: ]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: sea shore sam
oh dear as I have been away I have not been keeping up with whats been happening, and you really do walk into trouble LL all the time just by your silly comments. You really should think who you might be hurting before posting rude remarks.

Come on how old are you now? 5 or 55

Neither 5 nor 55 but 53, which is over three-quarters of the way towards my 'three score years and ten'.

#43119 - 23/08/08 04:25 PM Re: young legs [Re: ]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: sea shore sam

Sounds like your talking about YOUR childhood! you or your ancestors must have struggled a lot otherwise you would not be talking so passionately about the kids of today and what they don't do.

Stop living in the past and start living for the present and future. Oh and stop boasting about how many miles youve walked because every human being is different.

I may have stated how far I sometimes walk, which is further than some people and less than others, but I would never boast about such things.

#43123 - 23/08/08 09:31 PM Re: young legs [Re: Lounge Lizard]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Lounge Lizard wrote
Quote:
While not wishing to belittle the Luxemburger's rambling, I think it's a sad reflection of today's society that walking thirteen miles a day is seen as such an achievement. In early Victorian times children would do that distance six days a week just to get to the mill for a twelve hour day, and that was on a diet of bread and dripping, but those urchins were probably healthier than today's couch potatoes who will only eat junk food and rarely walk more than thirteen yards a day. It's no wonder so many people are saying that the government should bring back National Service

I don't know where you get you information from LL but most Victorian factories and mills were at the end of the street where people lived.A mill owner wouldn't want his workforce to turn up exhausted after a seven mile walk.I live in Leicester and maps of the city in 1875 show the city boundary to be around one and a half miles from the city center so no urchin could have walked seven miles to work unless his factory was located in the middle of nowhere.People who lived in villages tended to work on the land rather than in mills.Pensioners as such didn't exist in those days as most people died long before they reached the age of 65.The modern diet is far more healthy but the main problem is that people eat far more than their body needs.

National Service? Great idea.Why not send them to Christmas island and give them all a good dose of A-bomb raditation? I am sure it would improve their health.

#43125 - 24/08/08 07:40 AM Re: young legs [Re: tonyk]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: tonyk
Lounge Lizard wrote
Quote:
While not wishing to belittle the Luxemburger's rambling, I think it's a sad reflection of today's society that walking thirteen miles a day is seen as such an achievement. In early Victorian times children would do that distance six days a week just to get to the mill for a twelve hour day, and that was on a diet of bread and dripping, but those urchins were probably healthier than today's couch potatoes who will only eat junk food and rarely walk more than thirteen yards a day. It's no wonder so many people are saying that the government should bring back National Service

I don't know where you get you information from LL but most Victorian factories and mills were at the end of the street where people lived.A mill owner wouldn't want his workforce to turn up exhausted after a seven mile walk.I live in Leicester and maps of the city in 1875 show the city boundary to be around one and a half miles from the city center so no urchin could have walked seven miles to work unless his factory was located in the middle of nowhere.People who lived in villages tended to work on the land rather than in mills.Pensioners as such didn't exist in those days as most people died long before they reached the age of 65.The modern diet is far more healthy but the main problem is that people eat far more than their body needs.

National Service? Great idea.Why not send them to Christmas island and give them all a good dose of A-bomb raditation? I am sure it would improve their health.

Tonky, History wasn't my strongest subject at school so I'm sure everyone will be grateful to you for putting me straight on any such factual innacuracies.
I doubt if anyone would disagree with Joyce's original post here, but it emphasised how rare it is for youngsters to do a decent walk, and my reply about the 99% of British children who haven't walked the Pennibe Way this year has given a better debate on the subject than if I had just posted another yes-didn't-they-do-well type message.

#43126 - 24/08/08 09:39 AM Re: young legs [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Nick Mac Offline

LL, yes you have initiated a debate, but i don't for one moment believe you meant to do it.

Yes 99% of children don't walk the PW, but what about all the others who do good things in the community.

I don't think it's rare for youngster to do a good walk, as I often see groups of teenagers out for the day, and I lost count of the teenagers walking Hadrian's Wall (it may be they walk something that catches the imagination, not something that will overstretch them).

Whilst the headlines are all about doom and gloom, shootings/stabbings, the vast majority of our youth are fine upstanding kids who work a lot harder than we ever did (exams may or may not be easier, but the headlines take away from all the effort put in).

Groups like the scout/guide association are overflowing, with membership at it's highest since the early 70's, which bodes well for the future of outdoor activities.

On the subject of factories and a walk to work, have you heard of Saltaire, built by Sir Titus Salt? Some of the churches, and public halls are outstanding, added to the housing he built for is workers meant he had a captive workforce (no seven mile walk to work (but no pubs due to his temperance beliefs)).

All the best

nick mac

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917