The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43129 - 24/08/08 01:04 PM Re: young legs [Re: Lounge Lizard]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
Again I am going to cast doubt onto your opinion of `the youth of today` young people doing the pennine way is not very unusual at all during august there has been a fair number of young people (14-21) coming through. Some of the late teenagers are walking in groups of their peers, others in mixed groups or family parties but the nicest of all and probably the most common is the Dads & Lads. Fathers and sons who are completing the challenge together and sharing a difficuilt but rewarding experience before the youngster flies the nest.That may be a sentimental take on life but I feel priveliged to be able to share one evening of their journey. Joyce Forest View
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#43130 - 24/08/08 04:08 PM Re: young legs [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Originally Posted By: Lounge Lizard
[/quote]
Joyce, While I can't share your enthusiasm for 'plague, pestilence and ringworm' it has to be admitted that when such conditions were rife you never heard people moaning about the elderly being a burden on society nor were there any massive pension fund deficits. It is indeed rare now to see youngsters doing much constructive that requires effort.

I believe that most children, I appreciate not all, are a reflection on how they have been brought up at home. There is, in my opinion, a vast majority of level headed youngsters who have a passionate belief in the environment if you care to look. If they haven't had the opportunity to go out walking in the country, or even seen it, it may not be the first thing they think of. The scout movement was instrumental in my interest but what may have happened if I hadn't been given that opportunity? Even if youngsters are keen to go walking/camping parents, having seen so much about the nasty things that happen nowadays, understandably may not allow them. Other factors e.g. education seem far more important than in my days at school although I do accept that it does depend upon the parents, some of whom are clearly not capable of giving them any leadership.

The pension fund deficits you mention are not helped when trade unions fight to the point of striking so that future, not current, employees maintain this very significant benefit. For example the Post Office has to show a 5 billion deficit on the fund on its balance sheet which is being partly funded by the tax payer. The government had to agree a staggering 4 billion package of financial support for the business. Despite this the Communications Workers Union called a strike over pay, if it were a "normal" company it would have been liquidated years ago and the employees had their contracts terminated and then they would be able to see how it is to live on a low wage/benefits! However you will know this being a postman.
Pennine Way 2005&2014;C2C 2006;SWCP 2007;WHW 2008;GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011;Clev.W 2012;Yorkshire W.W. 2012;Offa's Dyke 2013;Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014;Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015;LEJoG 2018;Camino 2019;2020 NOTHING!2021 Hopefully.

#43134 - 24/08/08 05:57 PM Re: young legs [Re: Harland]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Mac,
I'm not one to dwell on headlines about shootings and stabbings, mainly because I don't take a daily paper. The current interest in the Scouts is encouraging although it's a shame that volunteers can be reluctant to step forward for fear of being
branded paedophiles, just as men now account for just 1% of primary school teachers and generations are being divided by men fearing just talking to children.

Joyce,
Contrary to what was implied in your earlier post, it's encouraging that it's not very unusual for a fair number of youngsters to do the Pennine Way. A sad sign of the times though is that younger teenagers won't go off in groups for a few days together, whether through no longer being considered responsible enough or through misguided fears about their safety, such that
so many of them now leave school without having had much experience of any sort of responsibility.

Harland,
I couldn't agree more about it being about how the youngsters are brought up.
Not that Royal Mail has much relevance to yougsters on the Pennine Way but I think you would expect me to respond to the points you raise. I am relatively new to the Royal Mail. having just worked for them for fifteen months. Given that Royal Mail
lead the world at one time with postal mechanisation, it's sad to witness what has happened over the years, the CWU at one time opposing new technology such as optical character recognition, Thatcher creaming off vast profits during the 1980s and a severe lack of investment from that time onwards. I agree that unions should protect current, rather than future, employees but the strikes last autumn were about conditions, not pay. Outdated, inefficient working practices are being eliminated now and my experience is that the average postman works a lot harder than the average Civil Servant or local government employee. I enjoy the job but it's not one anybody could do and I've seen quite a few leave within their first few days because they're not up to carrying pouches weighing up to 35lbs for up to six hours a day. We do though get the mail through in all weathers, and I was surprised to see the RAF cancel a big air show recently because of a poor weather forecast.

#43135 - 24/08/08 08:03 PM Re: young legs [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Harland Online   content

That will teach me to believe what was recorded in a national daily paper:-

"Postal workers across the UK walked out on strike at noon, crippling mail deliveries until next week in an escalation of a bitter dispute over pay, jobs and pensions. "

#43138 - 25/08/08 07:52 AM Re: young legs [Re: Harland]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: Harland

"Postal workers across the UK walked out on strike at noon, crippling mail deliveries until next week in an escalation of a bitter dispute over pay, jobs and pensions. "

You're very naive if you take as fact everything you read in some of the rags that now pretend to be newspapers. It was primarily about conditions, also about preserving jobs and conditions and very little about pay. If that pay offer had been made without the attached clauses about conditions and pensions then there would have been no question of strikes.

#43142 - 25/08/08 10:31 AM Re: young legs [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Harland Online   content

You're very naive if you take as fact everything you read in some of the rags that now pretend to be newspapers. It was primarily about conditions, also about preserving jobs and conditions and very little about pay. If that pay offer had been made without the attached clauses about conditions and pensions then there would have been no question of strikes.

So it was about pay, jobs and pensions then. I guess that I shouldn't continue this in future as it has nothing to do with walking and must be boring to lots of you - sorry!

#43143 - 25/08/08 10:48 AM Re: young legs [Re: Harland]
Lounge Lizard Offline

So it was about pay, jobs and pensions then. I guess that I shouldn't continue this in future as it has nothing to do with walking and must be boring to lots of you - sorry!

As a final comment then, they didn't "walk out at noon" as those working then finished their delivery not going in the next day, and mail deliveries weren't completely "crippled" as a significant minority of postal workers didn't join the strike and managers did some deliveries too.

#43144 - 25/08/08 12:06 PM Re: young legs [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Nick Mac Offline

Loc: Cleckheaton
LL there were no winners when it came to the strike.

As you will be aware most offices are now doing all the went out on strike against.

The walk out at noon comment probably refers to those who's shift began at noon, as I had night staff who had to work alongside those who came into work and were then on strike the following day (complicated I know).

Please please do not forget the long term damage the strike has caused to Royal Mail as a whole.

Nick Mac

#43145 - 25/08/08 12:08 PM Re: young legs [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Nick Mac Offline

Loc: Cleckheaton

As you will be aware most offices are now doing all they went out on strike against.

The walk out at noon comment probably refers to those who's shift began at noon, as I had night staff who had to work alongside those who came into work at 5am and were then on strike the following day (complicated I know).

Please please do not forget the long term damage the strike has caused to Royal Mail as a whole.

Nick Mac

#43147 - 25/08/08 02:16 PM Re: young legs [Re: Nick Mac]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: Nick Mac

As you will be aware most offices are now doing all they went out on strike against.

The walk out at noon comment probably refers to those who's shift began at noon, as I had night staff who had to work alongside those who came into work at 5am and were then on strike the following day (complicated I know).

Nick Mac

Mac, I tend to agree with you, but you didn't need to make the point twice !
Strike or not, 'modernisation' is happening, Sunday collections have gone, deliveries are later, Saturday deliveries will go, Post Offices are closing, Parcelforce will be privatised first, then the letters business not long after.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917