The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36021 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43244 - 02/09/08 07:04 PM The Southern Upland Way
jgibbison Offline

I will be doing this in May 09. Of course I will trawl the net and find out as much as I can. But nothing beats personal experience. So to those who have done it... whats it like? what are the pit falls? food and water availability? is it as challenging as the pennine way? etc etc etc you get the idea.... Jim

#43249 - 03/09/08 07:26 AM Re: The Southern Upland Way [Re: jgibbison]
barney44 Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Jim
I did the Southern Upland Way in 2001, two years after Pennine Way. It is a while ago now, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is not as challenging as the Pennine Way, as in not so many climbs, but is still quite long.
B & B's were plentiful enough on the route, although a couple of times I used a pick up and drop off service that let me stay at the same place for a couple of nights. Check Sherpavan's accomodation guide for possibilities. There were not too many places for food or water during the day, as some days were quite remote from civilisation. Things may have changed since 2001. There were far less walkers than the Pennine Way.
I walked SUW in September and found it much drier underfoot than Pennine Way, although I did have great weather when I walked it.
Good luck and enjoy it!
Barney

#43253 - 03/09/08 01:09 PM Re: The Southern Upland Way [Re: jgibbison]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
Hi Jim,

My rottie (dog) and I also really enjoyed the SUP Way which I did in June 2000. I hardly met anyone. The places I stayed were all willing to pick me up and drop me off back at my start, as well as tranferring my luggage to the next place.

The scenery is mainly rolling hills, moorland and forest apart from the start and finish of course.

I stayed in B&Bs and Pubs where I was always able to get hot food. There are not many places as previously mentioned with shops, so stock up where you can.

I did not find it particularly challenging but that could have been because the weather was mainly very good, only 2-3 rainy days I think. The midges were out in force too occasionally. On the whole, it was well signposted too.

Good luck and enjoy.

I really loved this walk.

#43254 - 03/09/08 02:17 PM Re: The Southern Upland Way [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Originally Posted By: Janice & Rottie
Hi Jim,

My rottie (dog) and I also really enjoyed the SUP Way which I did in June 2000. I hardly met anyone. The places I stayed were all willing to pick me up and drop me off back at my start, as well as tranferring my luggage to the next place.

The scenery is mainly rolling hills, moorland and forest apart from the start and finish of course.

I stayed in B&Bs and Pubs where I was always able to get hot food. There are not many places as previously mentioned with shops, so stock up where you can.

I did not find it particularly challenging but that could have been because the weather was mainly very good, only 2-3 rainy days I think. The midges were out in force too occasionally. On the whole, it was well signposted too.

Good luck and enjoy.

I really loved this walk.

Thanks for the above Janice. I have thought about this walk a few times but had always decided to do something else but you have made me move it up my list of walks to do before I get too old!
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

#43269 - 04/09/08 04:26 PM Re: The Southern Upland Way [Re: Harland]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
Well Jim, stop thinking about it and move it to the top of the list. You will not be dissappointed.

I remember at the end in Cockburnspath, it was a hot day and there was a village "do" on either at the church or village hall, I can't remember. I wandered over with my dog, feeling a bit tired as it had been about 20 miles and very hot. We were suddenly made to feel very welcome..we both were. I was given free drinks and cakes and they gave my Rottie a bowl of water and I think she shared a sausage roll with someone.

Then someone drove me to my B&B.

Lovely memories.

You will love it.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917