The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43327 - 09/09/08 09:48 AM Yorkshire Three Peaks
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
Hi,

My sister and I were walking The Yorkshire Three Peaks next weekend. She has done it last year and I did it many many moons ago. Unfortunately she has broken her arm and therefore I am doing it alone.

Could anyone tell me the best route to take from Pen Y Ghent to the Horton road. I remember there are 3 ways, a lower one past Sell Gill andd Jackdaw Hill, a middle one past Hull Pot and a more northern one. Bearing in mind how one can be slowed down by bog and I know it will be boggy,please can anyone recommend the best way across?

Thanks.

#43328 - 09/09/08 01:52 PM Re: Yorkshire Three Peaks [Re: Janice & Rottie]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
hi Janice & Rottie
we always tried to go by Sell Gill Holes,
but it is boggy, i have know times when we have gone from tuft to tuft only to run out of tufts and when we turned round the tuft's we had come on , had sunk . so the only thing to do was make a run for it.
i would not fancy it now the weather we have had this year,
having said that if we were to get a dry fornight it may improve
anyway if you do go i hope you have a good walk.
when you say your sister has broken her arm, tell her to get well soon
when a mate put his shoulder out when were walking in the |lake District, we were all for sending him home, but the Doctor said there was no need as he did not walk on his hands

#43329 - 09/09/08 02:11 PM Re: Yorkshire Three Peaks [Re: tim smith]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Hi Ern,

Thanks for the input.

Well no chance of the dry weather...raining every day according to the forecast.

I think all routes will be boggy, it is just working out which will be the lesser of 3 evils. I have to do it now as I have quite a few sponsors all asking when I am doing it.

I will pass on your regards to my sister. Unfortunately, as well as breaking her arm she badly wrenched her back at the same time which is the main reason she is unable to do it with me.

No worries though. I will still have a good walk, especially once I have hit the Horton road.

#43336 - 09/09/08 11:53 PM Re: Yorkshire Three Peaks [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
I usually go for the most northerly route,bu there is a wide boggy area en route which will be exepceptionally difficult due to recent weather so perhaps the most sotutherly route would be better at this time.
Dave.

#43348 - 10/09/08 01:53 PM Re: Yorkshire Three Peaks [Re: Slogger]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Thanks Dave,

Looking at the map the southerly route towards Sell Gill Holes and Jackdaw Hill may be the longest but it is the shortest in terms of probable boggy ground. So it may prove quicker in the end. I will go for that and hope I can find the path ok.

Thanks Guys.

#43460 - 25/09/08 07:44 AM Re: Yorkshire Three Peaks [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Robbie Offline

Loc: Cheshire, UK
Hi Janice,
Did you have ago at the 3 Peaks as intended? With the weather looking ok for this weekend I may just have ago myself, I was wandering which way you took to the Horton Road to avoid the worst of the bog?
Robbie

#43486 - 28/09/08 04:28 PM Re: Yorkshire Three Peaks [Re: Robbie]
Robbie Offline

Picked an excellent day on Saturday to walk the 3 Peaks, almost perfect weather. Started at Ribblehead and took on Whernside first, then onto Ingleborough and what felt like that almost vertical climb after Humphrey Bottom. The walk down into Horton was superb, for me probably the highlight of the day. Next, to Penyghent, by far the busiest of the peaks. I then went for the route north of Hull Pot via Black Dub Moss Bog which fortunatly wasn't too bad, no up to your knees/waist in bog moments. Then back to Ribblehead and a pint of Black Sheep. All done in under 9 hours. Interestingly most people I met attempting the 3 Peaks were going the other way round, Ingleborough-Whernside-Penyghent.
All in all, a fantastic experience but not one likely to be attempted again soon!
Robbie

#43487 - 28/09/08 06:30 PM Re: Yorkshire Three Peaks [Re: Robbie]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Robbie,
under 9hours well done !
i suppose you would not call in at the cafe in Horton-in-Ribblesdale,
we used to start from there, they had a clock, to clock you in and out.
i don't suppose Peter Boyes is still there, i reckon he will have retired by now.
regards

#43488 - 28/09/08 07:19 PM Re: Yorkshire Three Peaks [Re: tim smith]
Robbie Offline

I had a cup of tea at the cafe, plenty of sugar, not the pint mug that's on offer though. The clocking in system is still in operation but I had always planned to start at Ribblehead to avoid the masses. If you want to buy any of the "official" 3 Peaks merchandise and join the club you have to clock in and out at the cafe, non clocker inners are not permitted to buy the mugs, t-shirts etc. So I guess my time is "unofficial". That is of little consequence to me, I took some half decent photo's and have made my own reminder of the day.
Robbie

#43494 - 29/09/08 09:10 AM Re: Yorkshire Three Peaks [Re: Robbie]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: Robbie
I had a cup of tea at the cafe, plenty of sugar, not the pint mug that's on offer though. The clocking in system is still in operation but I had always planned to start at Ribblehead to avoid the masses. If you want to buy any of the "official" 3 Peaks merchandise and join the club you have to clock in and out at the cafe, non clocker inners are not permitted to buy the mugs, t-shirts etc. So I guess my time is "unofficial". That is of little consequence to me, I took some half decent photo's and have made my own reminder of the day.
Robbie

What exactly is '"official" 3 Peaks merchandise'?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917