The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43394 - 16/09/08 08:20 AM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Slogger]
Kate's Dad Offline

Loc: Derbyshire
Fond recollection of staying at The Byrness. Good evening meal with nice breakfast stuff and packed lunch provided for very early start - we did the leg to KY in one go. Really friendly people.

#43403 - 17/09/08 08:03 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Slogger]
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
I just wanted to add my admiration to this chorus of congratulations. Quite remarkable. Would be remarkable just to do the PW in 9 days - but to also do it with a big pack on your back; camping; in some of the worst weather you could have had; being 62; having problems with your feet; having to change your boots. You must be very physically and mentally tough. It took me about a year to get in sufficient shape to walk the PW in three weeks staying in B&Bs (although I was carrying my own gear). I can't even conceive of ever being able to achieve this sort of challenge.

What training did you do to be able to achieve this?

#43404 - 17/09/08 09:54 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Slogger]
bouncer Offline

congratulations and full admiration of your success

#43410 - 18/09/08 01:50 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: bouncer]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Bliss,
My training as such didnt happen due a groin strain, which has been ongoing for around 4 - 5 months now, although Earlier in the year I did manage acouple of 16 milers, and have done about 20 Munro's this year. My background, I believe is how I manage to do what I do. Having done many non stoppers of up tp 90 miles non stop in around 30 hours, I wasnt worried about not being able to cope with the daily mileage, just wondered if I could cope with the 30lbs on my back as well. As for the weather, it was simply a case of head down, keep going. Guys that know me, those that do the Munro's etc with me and run the fells with me, describe me as 'unusual' as I normally keep up with them although many of them are the same age as my son. I take their remark as a complement, however I dont think they realise that in order to keep up with them, I have to work harder than they do. My mental strengh often outdoes my physical strengh and I think therin lies a huge advantage. My biggest difficulty these days is finding times when the mental and physical strengh are in tune with each other. I did the PW in 9 walking days, because thats all I had available, I admire those that finish the route, full stop, if it takes them 3 weeks, then it takes them 3 weeks, it doesnt matter so long as they enjoy it and get out of it what had hoped for.
Dave.

#43411 - 18/09/08 02:19 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Slogger]
TJ Offline

Loc: wiltshire. england
Hi Dave, I am one of 'the two lady walkers' from the Tan Hill Inn! I am so glad you made it. I enjoyed reading about your trip, I'll print it off so Val can have a read too as we wondered how you got on. Our little walk finished as planned albeit slightly damp!
Tina

#43413 - 18/09/08 06:09 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: TJ]
Slogger Offline

Hi TJ.
Glad you enjoyed your trip, though as you said "slightly damp", I bet thats understatement. Enjoyed out chats on the hill and at the Tan Hill. Thats one of the most positive aspects of doing these walks, all the great people you meet along the way.
Best regards to yourself and Val.
Dave.

#43428 - 22/09/08 06:53 AM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Slogger]
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
It seems to get more amazing each time I hear about it! A groin strain as well. More congratulations.

#43432 - 22/09/08 07:50 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Bliss 60]
Slogger Offline

Yes, I was concerned about the strain, even as I set off, as it had gradually got worse despite, expensive physio treatment. However apart from a few twinges during the first two days, especially when negotiating stiles, I never felt it at all for the rest of the journey. Now that I am back and working it has returned with a vengence, so heres hoping my trip up to Scotland this weekend to bag around 8 Munro's will get rid off it again (for a while).
Dave.

#43681 - 17/10/08 04:30 AM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Slogger]
DarrenF Offline

Hiya slogger...that was some effort, well done. Made of stern stuff them Chorley folk, I am from Coppull, have you heard of it ha ha.

#43690 - 17/10/08 07:50 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: DarrenF]
Slogger Offline

Yes, of course, Ive wizzed by the place many times (As fast as possible!!) Only joking. Im with Chorley Harriers running club based at Chorley cricket club. I was up on Rivy, Two Lads, Winter Hill and Noon Hill on Tueday afternoon. Where do you get to for most of your walking?
Dave.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917