The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43372 - 13/09/08 03:31 PM 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed.
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
My wife and I had a quiet drink or two and nice evening meal in the Nags Head in Edale on Thurday 28th August before retiring to our B & B at Weston House.

Friday 29th August Edale to Standedge 28 miles.
At 9am I waved farewell to my wife at the start of the Pennine Way, and was on my way. My wife was returning home to Chorley via shopping in Manchester.
The cloud was fast lifting from the top of Kinder and it was becoming hot and humid.
I came acroos a couple of guys outside their tents at the bottom of Jacobs Ladder. After a short descussion it emerged that they had set off from Edale the morning before at 9 am and thought they were near to the Snake Pass crossing. I was a bit bemused by this, being in an enclosed valley and the Snake Crossing being on an open moorland summit. It turned out they had lost their way looking for Mill Hill and hadnt realised that they had descended Jacobs Ladder after ascending the same earlier in the day.
I pressed on and at Mill Hill encountered swarms of flying ants, that were to acompany the Way for the next 22 miles.
Over Bleaklow, past Crowden and Laddow Rocks. I was now dehydrated in the hot clammy conditions sweat sheeting over me. My water used up, I was looking for a clear stream, but only finding brown, Peaty water. Then at last I found a clear one near Wesenden Reservoir. Drunk loads and filled my bottles. Got to Standedge and found a flat spot to camp for the night.

Saturday 30th August. Standedge to Lothersdale 33 miles.
Up at 4am, moving by 5am. Even this early it was very warm and again humid, sweating up straight away. Soon passing over the M62 footbridge and Blackstone edge. This was an easier section than any the day before. Past all the reservoirs, Stoodley Pike and dropped down into Calderdale after refilling my water bottles at a farm below the Pike.
A steep ascent took to the open moor once again and the long trawl past more reservoirs before reaching Withins Heights. Dropping down to Ponden Reservoir, just before the bridge and road, I came across another wayfarer taking a rest. This was Peter, he was spending 21 days on the route using B&Bs and carrying a fair sized pack, which looked heavier than my 30lbs, tent and all inside. I carried on and quickly ascended the steep fields beyond. During the boggy moorland that follows, I went to step on a submerged flag that wasnt there and went in up to my knee. My right boot filled with peaty water and by the time I dropped down to Cowling had a blister on the ball of that foot.
Here I met another Wayfarer again taking 3 weeks on the route. He was now wearing trainers on his badly blistered feet,with his boots slung over his huge camping backpack which must have weighed in around 65lbs, and his legs looked to be buckling under the strain. I left him looking for the campsite there and carried on to Lotherdale, ariving at around 7pm. I found the Bungalow that allows camping on their lawn, had a shower, changed and off to the pub for a meal and drink.

Sunday 31st August. Lothersdale to Horton 30 miles.
Moving by 5.30am arrived in Gargrave by the time the shops were open. Had an ice cream and bought some fudge in the cafe by the PW signpost and movbed on towards Malham. At Malham went in the cafe there and sat outside with a pot of tea and something to eat. The weather was now fresher than the previous days and no longer as humid. Round the Tarn and up Fountain Fell. Near the top just before the leftwards swing towards Pen y Ghent I quickly caught up with a slow moving fellow carrying a rucksac plus a holdall. I commented that it must be uncomfortable carrying the bag, but he seemed not bothered. During the next 20 minutes converstion this chap told me that he had walked the coastline of mainland UK, mentioning that he held the record for it. However he was confused as to whether the route we were on was the Coast to Coast or that one that finishes just over the Scottish border!!?? He also had to find accomodation in Horton as someone had stole his tent along with three others in Malham the evening before. Said he didnt fancy the climb over Pen y Ghent. I told, "Well thats the way the route goes", but it seemed he didnt mind shortcutting.
Caught up with another guy called Rob, on the descent track leading to Horton. Rob was about 27 years old and camping carrying 25Kgs, I told him that was far too much. He agreed and said he might abandon the camping after Hawes and go B&B from there on. He was on a 20 day schedule. I shown him the campsite and I went off to the Bunkhouse behind the pub. Got there around 7pm.

Monday 1st September Enforced Make & Mend Day.
My toes which had been extremely sore since the descent of Fountains Fell the previous day, this morning were very red swollen and sensitive and had kept me awake most of the night. I knew I could walk any distance day, in fact I couldnt get my boots back on. I felt this was the end of this trip. I then reminded myself of how long I had wanted to do this route. However the clincher was, that I felt if I gave up now I would be letting my wife down, after her final words before she waved farewell at the start, "Good luck, you will do it easy." After all she had been through recently, my sore toes seemed insignificant, and I knew I had to find a way to carry on.
I got a lift into Settle with two London guys with whom I had shared a meal and the bunkhouse with the evening before.
I bought some Compeed at a Chemists, found a Chyropodist, who trimmed my toe nails (OH! the Pain!)told me a blood blister was lifting my big toe nail, but not to pop it for fear of infection. He advised me not to go walking any distance, untill the toe inflamation had gone down. I replied that I had no choice and was determined. He didnt charge me!
I then went to the crag shop and purchased a new pair of boots a size bigger than the ones I been wearing and a couple of pairs of Thorlo Socks. Bus back to Horton, I agian met Peter who I had seen at Ponden. He too was in the Bunkhouse. We had a drink and meal together and I retired early for an early start the next day.

Tuesday 2nd September. Horton to Tan Hill. 31 miles.
Left the Bunhouse at 2.40am and at first walked slowly up that never ending ascent up the lanes to Cam High Road towards Hawes. Happy feet, and no toe problems with so much room in my new Scarpa Boots Toebox. I was at Hawes for 9am and had breakfast in a cafe there. Intermittant rain during the ascent of Great Shunner Fell, which was easy enough. The rain became more persistant and I was in full waterproffs by the time I got to Thwaite, where I had a hot choclate and slice of cake in the cafe there. Onwards over the hill to Keld, where I had intended to camp. However it was still early, 5pm and legs not tired so I decided to presson the extra 4 miles to Tan Hill. At the Tan Hill Inn, I booked into the Bunkhouse, got showered, changed then down to the bar where I met two lady walkers whom I had come across on Great Shunner Fell. Had a meal and spent the rest of the eveneing talking to them.

Wedesday 3rd September Tan Hill to Cauldron Snout. 30 miles.
Off by 5am. Down the road to meet the Sleightholme Road because of the increasing boggy conditions. Then that long haul across desolate moorland before reaching Gods Bridge and the road. More moor to Blackton Reservoir then Grassholme before dropping into Middleton in Teesdale. Everwhere closed (Wed afternoon?) no point in hanging about so carried on up Teesdale past Low and High Force to Cauldron Snout. During this latter few hours the rain came heavy with the wind and the path below the rocky escarment just before the Snout was flooded, so had to scramble across the boulders slightly higher up. I could really find an ideal camping spot so knocked on the door of a farm about a mile beyond the Snout and was advised of a flat area at the next stream bridge, which I duely found and spent the night there. It continued to rain heavilly during the night bt had stopped by morning.

Thursday 4th September Cauldron Snout to Alston. 29 miles.
Slept in slightly this morning, on the move by 6am. The mist was clearing as I approached High Cup Nick and gone by Dufton, where I spent an hour checking my voicemail. Then back up into the clouds to Cross Fell, a pot of tea, re supplies at the shop in Garrigil, and arriving at my B&B, soaked through in Alston. Soon sorted, and walked down to the pub for evening meal etc. Back at B&B for 10pm.

Friday 5th September. Alston to Hadrians Wall (Twice Brewed)
30 mile.
This section is described as uninteresting but I found it pleasent enough. After Greenhead I stopped at the visitors centre at Cawfields to replenish my water bottles etc. driving rainaccompanied me along the wall before dropping down to Winshields Farm and its camping barn near Twice Brewed. Soaking again, but the two good radiators soon had everything dried off. I had to put my now dry waterproofs back on including plastic bags over my trainers for the road walk down to the pub. Again a nice meal, few drinks chatting to other walkers, then the walk back in worsening conditions.

Saturday 6th September Twice Brewed to Byreness 29 miles.
Moving at 6am, driving rain into a headwind. Head down along the wall, I missed the sign at Rapishaw Gap and ended up at Housesteads Fort, back to the gap added on about about 1.5 miles. The valley below and the crossing of Jenkins burn was flooded and I ended up carefully wading through past my knees in water. Again at a flooded stream crossing a few miles further, more wading up past my knees. Goretex boots are great but once water gets in, it cant get out, so for the next 25 miles My boots were full of water. I now no longer had to walk round big puddles and flooded parts, now I just charged straight through. Met a few going North to South on this section. At Bellingham I took the advice of locals not cross that flooded moor as I was assured it would be impossible to negotiatte and would end up turning back. Up the road I went and met others coming the other way who were doing the same. Eventually into Kielder Forest and arrived once more soaked through at my B&B at the Byreness just before 7pm. Kate the landlady was an angel. She dried all my clothes after rinsing through, provided a lovely three course meal and Cider.

Sunday 7th September Byreness to Kirk Yetholme. 28 mile.
Kate left my breakfast out on the table together with my packed lunch, and I was off by 5.30am.
The first steep climb was no problem, but then soon up into the pea soup. Terrible weather head down with only 80 metres visibility all along the Cheviots. Getting cold, concentration on getting to the first refuge hut and making a brew, then getting to the second before at last dropping down below the cloud into the valley before Kirk Yetholme. Arriving at the flooded stram at the farm in the valley there was no way across. I backtracked, managed to get across then climbed the left hillside having to negotiatte fences to gain a better vantage point. From here I could see that my intended road was submerged in the flooded valley, but further along I could see it emerging from the water, and so I headed down to that point. Walking along the road , I was just preying that Kirk Yetholme and my B&B at the Border Hotel was not flooded. Being on a slightly higher level it wasnt. I was made welcome and shown to my superb room. Fed and watered later I made my entry in the PW log there and was given my free half pint. I was told it was the fastest this year and for some time. I was also told that flooding was worse the previous day and PW finishers had to be air lifted out from near that farm that I had passed.

I made my home via three buses and three trains the following day.
My thoughts on the way back home - Was this the challenge to finish with? Should I now just walk for enjoyment? Would I enjoy walking shorter distances at an easier pace or is it the hardship of the challenge that I enjoy?
Dave.

#43374 - 13/09/08 05:42 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Slogger]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Very interesting, Slogger, thanks.
I've used the Nag's Head many times, owned by the same company as Edale's other pub, the Rambler, which was on Radio 4 this week for charging customers for glasses of tap water.
If your wife's anything like mine she may well have spent a good deal more 'shopping in Manchester' than you did all the nine days on the Pennine Way.
Did those lads lost near Jacobs Ladder have compasses ?

#43376 - 13/09/08 06:47 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Nick Mac Offline

Loc: Cleckheaton
Flipping heck, what an effort!!!

Slogger I take my hat off to you again.

As someone who uses pubic transport to get too and from the PW, I am wondering about the reflection you must have felt on your return journey, as the hills whizzed passed at such speed?

Nick

#43378 - 13/09/08 07:49 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Nick Mac]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Hi Slogger,
Well Done, i enjoyed your journal.
yes you may enjoy shorter walks,
but if you are anything like me the long trecks will still be calling in years to come,
sadly i think in my case they are calling in vain.

#43379 - 13/09/08 08:48 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: tim smith]
Robbie Offline

Loc: Cheshire, UK
Slogger, that was some effort and a great read, I am well impressed! Somehow in your words I can sense you will be having another go!
Robbie

#43380 - 13/09/08 09:07 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Robbie]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Bloody hell,Dave,that effort would be impressive if you were thirty,but at sixty two! If you enjoy the challenge keep going.Provided your health remains okay there is no reason why you can't perform at this level into your mid-seventies.

#43381 - 13/09/08 09:48 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Nick Mac]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: Nick Mac
Flipping heck, what an effort!!!

Slogger I take my hat off to you again.

As someone who uses pubic transport to get too and from the PW, I am wondering about the reflection you must have felt on your return journey, as the hills whizzed passed at such speed?

Nick

NM. You've reminded me of when I had completed the Offas Dyke path in six days and caught the train back to the Midlands from Chepstow. I would not have imagined how in a week walking so many hours a day ones body would get so accustomed to just four miles an hour that in the train the speed of the fields and everything else whizzing past at such speed was somehow almost beyond comprehsion. Very strange indeed for a while but after a few hours everthing was back to normal.

#43382 - 14/09/08 07:28 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Slogger Offline

Thanks everyone. It was certainly a trip I will always remember. A week on and my legs are still very tired, not a problem during the walk, but when youve stopped, thats when it hits them. The balls of my feet, especially the left foot continue to burn. This is new to me, having never before experienced it.
We went back to Horton today to try to recover the boots that I had left under the bunk, but they had gone. Still we had a short walk and a nice Sunday lunch and even the Sun was out.
Back up to the Munro's in a fortnight, to help a pal tick off his final two.
Dave.

#43384 - 15/09/08 08:00 AM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Slogger]
Kate's Dad Offline

Loc: Derbyshire
What an adventure!

Full of admiration for what you achieved, especially given the extremes in weather.

9 days - and we thought we did well doing it in 14 days.

Great stuff!

#43386 - 15/09/08 03:48 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Kate's Dad]
Slogger Offline

Kates Dad, thanks very much.
Kate (Im fairly sure thats her name) at the Byreness B&B told me you had stayed with them during your trip. I'm also sure you would agree with me that one could only fully recommend it as a stopping off point in Byreness for future Wayfarers.

#43394 - 16/09/08 08:20 AM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Slogger]
Kate's Dad Offline

Loc: Derbyshire
Fond recollection of staying at The Byrness. Good evening meal with nice breakfast stuff and packed lunch provided for very early start - we did the leg to KY in one go. Really friendly people.

#43403 - 17/09/08 08:03 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Slogger]
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
I just wanted to add my admiration to this chorus of congratulations. Quite remarkable. Would be remarkable just to do the PW in 9 days - but to also do it with a big pack on your back; camping; in some of the worst weather you could have had; being 62; having problems with your feet; having to change your boots. You must be very physically and mentally tough. It took me about a year to get in sufficient shape to walk the PW in three weeks staying in B&Bs (although I was carrying my own gear). I can't even conceive of ever being able to achieve this sort of challenge.

What training did you do to be able to achieve this?

#43404 - 17/09/08 09:54 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Slogger]
bouncer Offline

congratulations and full admiration of your success

#43410 - 18/09/08 01:50 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: bouncer]
Slogger Offline

Bliss,
My training as such didnt happen due a groin strain, which has been ongoing for around 4 - 5 months now, although Earlier in the year I did manage acouple of 16 milers, and have done about 20 Munro's this year. My background, I believe is how I manage to do what I do. Having done many non stoppers of up tp 90 miles non stop in around 30 hours, I wasnt worried about not being able to cope with the daily mileage, just wondered if I could cope with the 30lbs on my back as well. As for the weather, it was simply a case of head down, keep going. Guys that know me, those that do the Munro's etc with me and run the fells with me, describe me as 'unusual' as I normally keep up with them although many of them are the same age as my son. I take their remark as a complement, however I dont think they realise that in order to keep up with them, I have to work harder than they do. My mental strengh often outdoes my physical strengh and I think therin lies a huge advantage. My biggest difficulty these days is finding times when the mental and physical strengh are in tune with each other. I did the PW in 9 walking days, because thats all I had available, I admire those that finish the route, full stop, if it takes them 3 weeks, then it takes them 3 weeks, it doesnt matter so long as they enjoy it and get out of it what had hoped for.
Dave.

#43411 - 18/09/08 02:19 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Slogger]
TJ Offline

Loc: wiltshire. england
Hi Dave, I am one of 'the two lady walkers' from the Tan Hill Inn! I am so glad you made it. I enjoyed reading about your trip, I'll print it off so Val can have a read too as we wondered how you got on. Our little walk finished as planned albeit slightly damp!
Tina

#43413 - 18/09/08 06:09 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: TJ]
Slogger Offline

Hi TJ.
Glad you enjoyed your trip, though as you said "slightly damp", I bet thats understatement. Enjoyed out chats on the hill and at the Tan Hill. Thats one of the most positive aspects of doing these walks, all the great people you meet along the way.
Best regards to yourself and Val.
Dave.

#43428 - 22/09/08 06:53 AM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Slogger]
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
It seems to get more amazing each time I hear about it! A groin strain as well. More congratulations.

#43432 - 22/09/08 07:50 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Bliss 60]
Slogger Offline

Yes, I was concerned about the strain, even as I set off, as it had gradually got worse despite, expensive physio treatment. However apart from a few twinges during the first two days, especially when negotiating stiles, I never felt it at all for the rest of the journey. Now that I am back and working it has returned with a vengence, so heres hoping my trip up to Scotland this weekend to bag around 8 Munro's will get rid off it again (for a while).
Dave.

#43681 - 17/10/08 04:30 AM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Slogger]
DarrenF Offline

Hiya slogger...that was some effort, well done. Made of stern stuff them Chorley folk, I am from Coppull, have you heard of it ha ha.

#43690 - 17/10/08 07:50 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: DarrenF]
Slogger Offline

Yes, of course, Ive wizzed by the place many times (As fast as possible!!) Only joking. Im with Chorley Harriers running club based at Chorley cricket club. I was up on Rivy, Two Lads, Winter Hill and Noon Hill on Tueday afternoon. Where do you get to for most of your walking?
Dave.

#43693 - 18/10/08 01:44 AM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Slogger]
DarrenF Offline

I try and get up to the lakes a least a couple of times a month. Just recently completed the wainwrights in under twelve months and I am currently doing the Birkett's. They are every fell over a 1000ft in lakeland, 541 in total.
My wife and I did the coast to coast in early September and like yourself got caught out in some pretty awful weather, but loved it.
Would like to try some walking in Scotland next year(sent off for the Munro Almanac) and are looking at doing the West Highland Way possibly in May.
Happy wondering....Darren.

#43694 - 18/10/08 05:33 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: DarrenF]
Slogger Offline

\darren,
I have done 147 Munro's in under three years and did the WHW a few years ago. Ive got about 70 Wainwrights to do, but have done many of the highest Lakeland peaks countless times, having not bothered with the lower Wainwrights. I will be up on Great Gable on remembrance Sunday as usual in November along with a couple thousand others no doubt.
Dave.

#43696 - 18/10/08 06:00 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Slogger]
DarrenF Offline

You're more than half way throught the Munro's, keep up the good work. What did you think of the WHW? Some of the Wainwrights are quite tedious, but once you've started you may as well finish! We will also be up Great Gable on remembrance Sunday this year but not decided on which route to take yet. Tried to get in a YHA the previous night but all are booked up.

#43697 - 18/10/08 06:18 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: DarrenF]
DarrenF Offline

Correction...Black Sail and Honister YHA are booked up. They were my first two choices.

#43702 - 20/10/08 06:56 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: DarrenF]
Slogger Offline

WHW, great for company and evenings in the pub. Great mountain views, mostly from valley level though. Too many military roads or tracks for my liking, but its definetly worth doing and I did enjoy it.
Like last year I will be starting out early from Ennerdale car park. Then straight up the valley to Beck Head and back via Kirk Fell the climbers traverse and Shamrock traverse by Pillar Rock to Pillars summit and descend via its North West ridge to Gillerthwaite.
Dave.

#43709 - 21/10/08 02:26 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Slogger]
Nick Mac Offline

HELP!! The bloody wainwright worshiping coast to coasters are taking over the pennine way board.......

#43710 - 21/10/08 03:33 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Nick Mac]
DarrenF Offline

Cheers Dave, WHW looks like being a definate for next May. Good route you have picked for remembrance sunday, weather permitting. Pillar Rock is a Birkett, god knows how i am going to tick that one off.
Calm down Nick, you must admit though that Wainwright was a genius....and a Lancastrian...lancashire la la la.
All the best Darren.

#43712 - 21/10/08 05:53 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: DarrenF]
Nick Mac Offline

Reasons not to think much of miserable wainwright:

He was a miserable git who popularised walking in a way few others have, but.....

He was no friend of the pennines, peoples perception has been ruined by what he wrote.

Once he had popularised the lakes, he then spent the rest of his days moaning about how many people walked on the hills (if he didn't want to make them popular he shouldn't have done the guides for his 30 pieces of silver)

Oh and he didn't like the pennine way (not enough pretty waterfalls)

And last but not least..... he was a bloody lancastrian

Happy walking

#43715 - 21/10/08 06:52 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Nick Mac]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Reasons not to think much of miserable wainwright:

He was a miserable git who popularised walking in a way few others have, but.....

He was no friend of the pennines, peoples perception has been ruined by what he wrote.

Once he had popularised the lakes, he then spent the rest of his days moaning about how many people walked on the hills (if he didn't want to make them popular he shouldn't have done the guides for his 30 pieces of silver)

Oh and he didn't like the pennine way (not enough pretty waterfalls)

And last but not least..... he was a bloody lancastrian

Happy walking

Re "30 pieces of silver", see the following regarding his charity work and I live in Yorkshire!:-

http://www.wainwright.org.uk/article/kapellan.html
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019 - 2020 NOTHING!.

#43716 - 21/10/08 06:56 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Nick Mac]
Slogger Offline

All I can say Nick, is Wainwright or not, I love the Lakes, Scotland, The Peak and the Pennines, Wales, the Himalaya The Alps, in fact anywhere there sre hills and mountains. However I am not a footpath lover even though I do, do the LDP's. I once bumped into the renowned mountain photographer Gordon Stainforth on Great Gables summit at 6am one Sunday morning. During our discussiuon I remarked that in my opinion we should all get off the paths and find our own way from A to B. I was surpised when he instantly agreed and stated that well known saying "Every man, his own pathmaker" He was later to refer to that very remark in the book he was working on at the time, his book simply titled "Lakeland" and recounted his cold night spent in the summit of Great Gable.
Dave.

#43718 - 21/10/08 07:22 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Slogger]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
"Every man his own pathmaker " indeed! An excellent quote, and a new one to me.
I found new ways onto Kinder Scout plateau and down again from the vale of Edale this week, and the beauty and silence gave me such pleasure. I've been going there for 45 years, and there are endless variants.
Many of the luminaries who publish route advice say that people should find their own ways. How right they are: it's our plodding way of emulating off-piste skiing.

#43721 - 21/10/08 08:06 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Stottie]
DarrenF Offline

Come on our Kes, bite your tongue and just admit that Wainwright was a true genius. One thing that is puzzling me...how do you yorkie's find walking in your wellies.

#43728 - 22/10/08 03:29 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Stottie]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: Stottie
"Every man his own pathmaker " indeed! An excellent quote, and a new one to me. .

It's more like "Every man has his own pacemaker" in Bournemouth.

#43733 - 22/10/08 05:17 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Nick Mac Offline

Kes??? wasn't that from south yorkshire?

The question has always been 'what makes a man a genius?'

Being good at drawing and liking a good walk does not.....

#43736 - 23/10/08 12:55 AM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Nick Mac]
Dr.BongoBingo Offline

.......... 'what makes a man a genius?'

Being good at drawing and liking a good walk does not.....

Congratulations on such a perspicacious, if rather succinct, biographical encapsulation of the great man.

Dr.BongalongaBingBong x

#43743 - 23/10/08 06:00 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Dr.BongoBingo]
Nick Mac Offline

By Jingo Bingo,

There were a few words to look up in the old dictionary!

#43746 - 23/10/08 07:09 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Nick Mac]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
so it is educational as well

#43907 - 04/11/08 10:56 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: tim smith]
RooSe Offline

Slogger congrats on Doing "The Walk" in that short ammout of time,Having done it summer before last in 17 days "Camping" i can apreciate the effort it must have taken.

BUT !

Did't you feel like you missed something of what its all about by walking so fast in such a short time ?

Every time i've walked the PW one of the things that realy made it the pleasure it was, is just feeling the freedom of walking along and then stopping and just soaking up the place you are, Kinder in the rain, Cross Fell in earie FOG or the Cheviots in total silence, you know what i mean smile

Hard to see or feel some of those things when you maybe develope a "10 yard stare" because your walking so fast smile

Honestly a cracking achievment though, no doubting your an extremly fit guy, just curious with my question realy.

#43910 - 05/11/08 10:16 AM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: RooSe]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
"Did't you feel like you missed something of what its all about by walking so fast in such a short time ?"

I know this question isn't aimed at me, and I hope you won't be offended that I'm 'chipping in'.
I've frequently found that once I get going on a long walk it's impossible to slow down. Some kind of demon seems to drive me on, as if I have to prove that I still can 'do it'.
Adapting a famous quotation, "You don't take a walk: a walk takes you".

#43912 - 05/11/08 09:45 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Stottie]
Slogger Offline

No I didnt miss anything, apart from duing the first hour every morning, as it was still dark. I started each morning purposly walking slower than normal, but after a couple of hours just fell into a natural but easy pace which averaged 2.5 mph overall. As I had to cover an average of 30 miles per day, the idea was to walk easy for up to 15 hours, however 14 hours was the longest day. I also did have time for a brew or two on the way, and a breakfast, and I never felt stressed out, I was finished comfortably every day although the weather did have me glad to reach my destinations on more than one occasion.
Dave.

#43915 - 06/11/08 05:36 AM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Stottie]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: Stottie
"Did't you feel like you missed something of what its all about by walking so fast in such a short time ?"

I know this question isn't aimed at me, and I hope you won't be offended that I'm 'chipping in'.
I've frequently found that once I get going on a long walk it's impossible to slow down. Some kind of demon seems to drive me on, as if I have to prove that I still can 'do it'.
Adapting a famous quotation, "You don't take a walk: a walk takes you".

I agree, but never thought of it as a demon, more that everyone has their own pace ( whether 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 miles per hour ) and their own preferred hours per day walking, hence the great variation in the regular distance covered daily by different walkers.

#56012 - 14/06/10 12:15 AM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Lounge Lizard]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
We have a lady staying with us tonight and going to Kirk Yetholm tommorrow who is on course for finishing in 8 days her knees have suffered a bit but she is in remarkable shape considering the milage she has been putting in.
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#56020 - 14/06/10 08:56 AM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: joyce taylor]
Sentinel Offline

The problem with doing that sort of mileage every day is that you miss it all. You don't get a chance to stop and admire the view, visit places en-route or have a lie in. I'm not knocking what she has done - fair play to her, good effort. But the speed she will have had to have walked will mean a lot of the scenery will have passed her by.

#56031 - 14/06/10 06:23 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: joyce taylor]
Slogger Offline

Originally Posted By: joyce taylor
We have a lady staying with us tonight and going to Kirk Yetholm tommorrow who is on course for finishing in 8 days her knees have suffered a bit but she is in remarkable shape considering the milage she has been putting in.

Joyce,
Any details regarding her age etc, was she going solo, obviously B&B or camping too?
A fantastic effort which ever way she does it. I know it has been walked by a few in as little as 7 days. I think 9 days is fast enough for me.
Dave.

#56037 - 14/06/10 08:12 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Sentinel]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Originally Posted By: Sentinel
The problem with doing that sort of mileage every day is that you miss it all. You don't get a chance to stop and admire the view, visit places en-route or have a lie in. I'm not knocking what she has done - fair play to her, good effort. But the speed she will have had to have walked will mean a lot of the scenery will have passed her by.

People tend to see what interests them on a walk. A keen ornithologist may see over 40 species of birds (so I am told) whereas I see colourful fluttery things, big black jobs and ducks.

How many people, like me, on the PW have stopped to see the Beacon Guards Grave 200m off the main route or deviated to include the summit of Fountains Fell, explored the Padon Monument, or finished off on the high level route?? Not doing these things, however, does not detracted from their enjoyment.

I am sure that she saw many things that I would miss, but also missed many things that I would have seen. Her pleasure, I would imagine, is speed walking. In my opinion, this is just another valid usage of a national trail.

#56038 - 14/06/10 08:55 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: slowcoach]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
Her name is Kym Hatala I think she is 49 (sorry Kym if that is not accurate but it`s not polite to ask a lady her age but I`m sure Dave said you were 49)I have just heard she did make it into Kirk Yetholm despite a Knee injury. Nothing could have stopped her on the last lap.Her friend was meeting her every night but she was walking it solo.
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#56059 - 15/06/10 08:44 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: joyce taylor]
Slogger Offline

Well good for her. She was probably just carrying a daysac, given that she had her friends support, but like me she is no spring chicken (sorry Kim if you read this.) just shows what us oldies can still do!
Dave.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917