The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44241 - 16/12/08 11:38 PM Old Dales Way Route
GaryB Offline

Some time ago, when staying at the Station Inn in Ribblehead, the Landlord showed me an old OS map with the Dales Way marked as going past the pub. it then followed the path up towards Whernside and then dropped into Dentdale, meeting up with the new route near Slack/Whernside Manor.

Does anyone know which way the old route took to the south of Ribblehead initially? Was it turn left rather than right at Beckermonds and follow the road/track until it meets the Pennine Way. Folow this north until you can link up with the Ribble Way to the B6255?

If any one could help I'd be grateful as I'm looking to do this walk with an overnight stop at Ribblehead Station Inn and would like to follow the old route as closely as possible.

Thanks
Gary

#44404 - 06/01/09 10:55 AM Re: Old Dales Way Route [Re: GaryB]
GaryB Offline

Finally found an OS map that shows the 'old route'. Basically, you follow the road from Far Gearstones to the Station Inn at Ribblehead, the Whernside path by the railway before taking the right fork to Dentdale. This route reduces teh amount of roadwalking you have to do by about 2k (rough estimate).

#44611 - 16/01/09 05:27 PM Re: Old Dales Way Route [Re: GaryB]
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
The alternative route referred to follows what is marked on some maps as the Craven Way. Follow the path by the eastern side of Ribblehead Viaduct and then up and over the shoulder of Whernside down to Deepdale near Dent. There are some great views on this stretch and I prefer it to walking the road section down to Cowgill.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917