The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2891
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35982 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 2 of 69 < 1 2 3 4 ... 68 69 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44808 - 27/01/09 07:27 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: lightweightmick]
K Offline

Loc: Langley, BC, Canada
LWM,

From what I remember of your experience the last time, I think the weather really was the main factor stopping you from achieving your 5 day goal. I'm sure you can do it if the conditions are right.

Go for it: from a 20-day c2cer. smile

Ken

#44810 - 27/01/09 11:04 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: K]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
LWM wrote
Quote:
How did your attempt go Tony?

Its still in the planning stage -well at least that is my excuse!

I am still tempted,maybe June/July provided we get some decent weather.

#45903 - 25/03/09 01:07 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: tonyk]
lightweightmick Online   confused

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Thanks for the encouragement you lot!
It takes longer to get into shape as you get older... and equally so to get into that mind 'zone', ha ha - but it's coming. Building up slow - no injuries, so, fingers crossed X!
Looking into the pain relief gels and Spenco 2nd skin (relied only on blister plasters last attempt, out of date too if I remember) - so if anyone has experience of these - I'm wondering whether the Ibruprofen Gel (10%?) will ease the pain in my toe joint that will no doubt flare up on day 2 - any comments on this would be much appreciated.
again, thanks
lwm

#45907 - 25/03/09 03:57 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
LWM,
Voltarol Gel is the best pain relieving anti inflamatory one on the market, I always carry a tube, it is also excellent for rumatic problems. Its active ingredient is Declofenac, so if pain is particularly bad you can also take Ibuprofen and/or Paracetamol
tablets at the same time. Compeed for blisters or for avoiding blisters. I always used to cut the dead skin away before applying Compeed, but discovered that they work with great affect placed on top of the blister. Pop small surface blisters first, but leave deep seated heel blisters, unpopped.
Dave.

#45918 - 25/03/09 09:39 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: Slogger]

Cheers Dave,
I'm not into tablets and stuff usually, but bought Ibuprofen last attempt at Orton. Mike Cudahy only got under 3 days for the Pennine Way with help of Spenco 2nd Skin (and an awful lot of determination, surely!)- according to his 'Wild Trails...' account. I stocked-up on the biggest Compeeds I could get in Richmond last time too (having used up the ones from the kind lady at Danby Wiske). My problem area is behind second toe and once starts soon covers most of forefoot area! I'm undecided whether to start out with the blister plasters on (but, as you know, can be a sod to get off again if they start to lift) or go for Vaseline-soaked inner socks which then (without v hot water or surgical spirit) makes it difficult to change over to blister plasters.
I certainly need to give more thought to this ...
thanks for the input!

#45919 - 25/03/09 09:46 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: Slogger]

Dave - Just looked up Voltarol on 'netdoctor' - is it prescription only?
cheers
lwm

#45920 - 25/03/09 10:24 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
LWM,
No it isnt, it was for quite a while after it first came out, but now you can get it over the counter (not cheap).
Regarding vaseline, a tip I was given years ago by a guy who did the LDWA 100 milers was to use pure Lanolin instead. I have used it ever since. It is really thick and gooey (Spelling?) and there is a nack to using it. It is spread thickly over the parts of the foot that need protecting (on my non stoppers - the whole foot) and the sock turned inside out is positioned at the toes and peeled onto the foot. Then smooth out getting rid off any lumps. The sock then will not move and you shouldnt have any blister problems. The socks are of course a mess when you remove them, but I have worn the same socks for over two days without removing.

www.mitchellswoolfatsoap.co.uk

You will have to E mail them or phone, as Lanolin is not on their usual list, but just explain that you want a tub and they will supply.
Dave.

#45939 - 26/03/09 10:42 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: Slogger]

Thanks for the info Dave, much appreciated. The Voltarol not too bad at around 5 per 30g tube. Checked out the lanolin too - sounds good. Have you ever had to fetch it off to get blister plasters to stick? (I might have to after, say, 3 days?) I would have to carry extra socks too as feet get filthy in running shoes - muck and lanolin! - but it's worth a try.
cheers mate,
mick

#45940 - 26/03/09 10:54 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: lightweightmick]
boggleholed Offline

mmmmmm ; what an extraordinary thread this is ; as quick as you can manage ; go for it ; pain relief ; is this really what it is all about??

#45951 - 27/03/09 08:20 AM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: boggleholed]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Originally Posted By: boggleholed
mmmmmm ; what an extraordinary thread this is ; as quick as you can manage ; go for it ; pain relief ; is this really what it is all about??

For some, that really is what it's about.
For others, it's something else.
Vive la difference!

Page 2 of 69 < 1 2 3 4 ... 68 69 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917