The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35984 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 3 of 69 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 68 69 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45963 - 27/03/09 06:04 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: Stottie]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
Boggleholed,
Its just about the joys of the natural freedom of walking. Whichever form thats takes is down to the individual. I walk slow when with my wife, I climb hard mountains when with my companions, I solo walk and backpack fast or slow depending on how the mood takes me. Variety is the thing, do some fast as a challenge to yourself, do some at a more liesurely pace when with others or when you have more time. Walking at just the same pace, without ever testing yourself to the limit, to some of us, would be like having chips but never the fish!
Dave.

#45964 - 27/03/09 06:14 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

LWM,
Water does break down Lanolin, so if you get your feet wet, it will begin to lose some of its protection. However for a compeed to stick to pre Lanolined feet, you would need to wash them thoroughly with some soap or other detergent. I either go with the thought of lanolined feet or compeedable feet, its one or the other. As I say Ive never had a surface blister when using Lanolin, but I have on one occasion during a non stopper had deep heel blisters at the 40 mile point due to the Lanolin breaking down due to sodden socks.
When are you planning on the walk?
Dave

#45978 - 28/03/09 01:59 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Yes, that's my thinking - with the bivvy option, not easy to get clean dry feet (last time feet were wet all day) - so I can understand going with either one or t'other. Surface blisters are not too much of a problem - it's the deep ones that are more likely to get me. New shoes arrived yesterday - trail, good cushioning & firmer soles. I took road shoes as well last time (which was a mistake - but knew my trail shoes caused some problems with that toe) The idea was that alternating would be beneficial. As you may remember, I ended up buying boots in Richmond. So having just one pair of trusty trails is essential. With no supply dumps or support of course I'm stuck with what I start out with.
Last attempt (06) I set-off May 19th. I'm flying at present but still might not be up to condition by May. My usual self-test is 20m in 4hrs (on similar terrain - mud, styles etc.) - when I get to this I have usually considered myself good to go - but now thinking that I need to add to that somewhat.
Maybe early-mid June would be better. May has been wet over the last few years now...(?) Rain in itself is good - cool, but makes for slow-going underfoot and (without support) adds uncertainty with the bivvy - esp. with lightweight down bag.
ps: called at Pharmacy yesterday - he advised I start with Ibuprofen Gel 10% - and work up (good sales technique!) - took away the burning sensation in minutes though - so I need to get some longer ones in to try that out. But need to keep up the positive re-inforcement and steady build-up.
cheers Dave - your input is much appreciated
lwm

#45981 - 28/03/09 05:46 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Online   content

LWM,
20 miles in 4 hours, so 5mph. Does that mean you are trotting some of it, hence the Trail shoes. I still have a sturdy pair of Merrell Exotechs. Why they stopped doing them I dont know they are really good and were used by many top multi activity adventure racers. I wouldnt want run too far in them though, not that I can run at the moment due to this hip/thigh problem, for which I still havent got a reason, which I am confident is the correct one.
Dave.

#45987 - 29/03/09 12:56 AM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Dave,
It's a 'funny old game' - I have a guy passes my front window most days (I can't be sure which of us is the older to be honest... I think he's got the edge on me, but he sports a beard, and beards can be 'ageing'...) - he runs on the way back, but often with a slight limp. I picked him up on this once only to learn that he has had a knee replacement! He goes most days - puts me to shame... does no more than 5m max he tells me now. I passed him going down the lane before my last attempt (3 yrs ago now) - I'd not gone more than 20yds past when my own knee just gave way under me! (this was before the last C2C attempt an' all...)
With all the knee/hip problems I've had (non serious, I should add - just the old aches and pains really), building up gradually has always shown some kind of improvement. I don't know why this is, but I would question doctors that talk about degeneration of the joints etc. I develop more problems when I'm inactive, but it's more convenient, overall - like water and electricity, to take the easier route in life. Perhaps it's not a bad thing to go out and 'kick ass' as one sixties pop legend once said to me... ha ha. So I'm thinking that whatever problem you've got - I suspect that you can be your own master of it.
I'm not familiar with the Exotechs - it may be partly superstition, but I have gained confidence in New Balance over the last 5 yrs. I just got new, though the ones I have haven't really done much, I know the all-important cushioning could have hardened a little. It's terribly important as we get older that the shoes take some of the hard work out of it! (even off-road) Correct weight is important too - I still need to lose at least another 10lbs. If I train o/weight, I then know I'm better prepared to shoulder up 12-15lbs over a few days.
I don't know if you remember the original 5 day post ('05-maybe it's been deleted..?) where I echo Ronald Turnbull's 5 day crossing in the style of 'trot and linger' and 'running of the slowest sort'. This he describes in his account opening the book 'Coast to Coasting' co-authored with John Gillam - which, to me, sounded achievable... ha ha! - we learn..)
Yes, running is necessary to maintain that pace (for me), and if there are hills in that 20m -(there are on my route - though not too serious)- where you walk, then the running pace has to be, at times, maybe 10mm pace or better -(this though, would not, of course, be considered 'serious' by any self-respecting runner) - it doesn't take much to erode into that 5mph though, esp. when you begin to extend the distance.
I'm sleeping on the tiled kitchen floor tonight... bit of a 'domestic' situation, but a good opportunity to recall a little of the discomfort - so will go down as 'training'... outside? - you must be joking... no, break yourself in gradually I say... ha ha. Must be mad - am mad.
cheers
lwm

#45990 - 29/03/09 08:51 AM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: lightweightmick]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Mick, Everyone has their own way of covering a decent distance, and far be it for me to criticise others, but, as one who has his own brisk walking pace, I fail to understand how "trot and linger", keeping changing pace, or "running of the slowest sort", surely less efficient than walking, could be of benefit.

#45993 - 29/03/09 09:44 AM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Originally Posted By: Lounge Lizard
Mick, Everyone has their own way of covering a decent distance, and far be it for me to criticise others, but, as one who has his own brisk walking pace, I fail to understand how "trot and linger", keeping changing pace, or "running of the slowest sort", surely less efficient than walking, could be of benefit.

It sounds like "Scout Pace", in which one trots for say 50 or 100 steps then walks 50 or 100 steps.
I used it once only, when I had to catch the last bus, and it worked for me...I couldn't have run all the way! Can't say I fancy doing it for long, but I suppose you can get used to anything.

#45994 - 29/03/09 11:04 AM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: Stottie]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
while training for the london marathon
that is what i did (only jogging not running)
jog a mile walk a mile
some one who saw me said "why jog, you can nearly walk as fast"
never was much good at running and only a slow walker

#45997 - 29/03/09 02:32 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: tim smith]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: tim smith
while training for the london marathon
that is what i did (only jogging not running)
jog a mile walk a mile
some one who saw me said "why jog, you can nearly walk as fast"
never was much good at running and only a slow walker

"Why jog, you can nearly walk as fast" - exactly. I'm none too knowledgeable about the laws of physics but I'm sure it takes a ceratin amount of energy or effort for anyone of a given weight to take themselves by foot a certain distance, but what puzzles me as I briskly stride along is why joggers who pass me at a fraction of a mile per hour faster choose to use all the extra energy and effort that it takes for them to be bobbing up and and down all the way along.

#45998 - 29/03/09 05:19 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: Lounge Lizard]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
L.L
after all the training i did feel better and able to bounce along nicely,
sadly to feel the benifit you have to be dedicated and keep on with the training and diet ( which i did not do)

Page 3 of 69 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 68 69 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917