The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35984 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 68 of 69 < 1 2 ... 66 67 68 69 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#406959 - 23/07/15 10:19 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
failed attempts never easy Dave - not really got my head round what went wrong yet....

#406961 - 31/07/15 01:16 AM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: lightweightmick]
lightweightmick Offline

Blog of this year's attempt
probably needs tweaking... bedtime for me now though

#406962 - 01/08/15 02:34 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
Thanks for your blog Mick, interesting reading. I reckon that good soaking may have had something to do with things overall. Getting wet and chilled does seem to take something out of ones energy reserves, and certainly affects moral. Although you had that problem ankle, maybe if your reserves had been better, you may have felt like you could continue.
Who knows easier said than done, maybe on my first failure last year, instead of calling for a lift to the B&B, if i had just stopped and rested for an hour or two, I could have continued?
Ah well, till next time!!
Dave.

#406963 - 02/08/15 01:19 AM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

yeah, the 'what ifs' always haunt afterwards Dave...
I form a picture mentally of how it's going to pan out and when things don't meet this mental imagery (lets face it, they never fully do) they begin to stack up. I've since thought it like a domino effect... all just standing waiting to topple. The first for me was my National Express coach was 20 mins late, thus missed the Skipton bus, calling for a change of plan...(back to Manchester by rail for Lancaster, where I forgot to collect my ticket only to get a bollocking from the ticket inspector on the train to Barrow who was accusing me of forgery as I'd only got my booking no...) just little dominoes forming a line behind you... I dunno, what you reckon?
Ankles are different to other leg injuries I think as it has to bear your weight as a whole functioning unit - a leg muscle is more cope-able. Thing is, apart from the Bretherdale bog incident I don't recall going over on it, or anything else that would have caused it. There's no doubt I could have got to Ing Cross that day (assuming it didn't get drastically worse), but then what..? 40m is a stretch fully fit... and I had to have 2 weeks off work after the last attempt with the leg which didn't get fully right for months...
Often it takes someone else to (quite innocently) snap you out of that focus and that's when the dominoes start toppling. Had I set myself 'to finish' or '5 days' maybe I'd have gone on, but 4 days was def lost with the combination of being 9m down on day3 and the ankle.
But, yes, you are quite right, spot on in fact - that soaking (and early, quite unexpected, chaffing) took something away - a bit of spirit went there no doubt about it mate,
cheers
mick

#406964 - 03/08/15 02:56 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Online   content

Well, I'll tell you what, a 45 miler I did yesterday, certainly didn't go according to plan or expectations, and I was left thinking that it was good job I wasn't attempting a 5 day C2C, as I wouldn't have got further than day 1!
I thought as my knee had been feeling better the last couple of weeks, and it was ok during an 11 mile run last week, that I would test things out on a route I used to do as an early year warmer, the 45 mile Pendle Way.
It's not flat with 7,500 foot of ascent and descent, but I'd done it many times and never had too much problem even when not really fit.
My troublesome foot had remained the same but not gotten worse, so I reckoned I'd get through ok.
Set off from barley at 2.50am heading for the long steep climb up Pendle Hill. Climbed well, but during the long descent my knee started playing up, just as it did when the problem first manifested, descending Gt. Shunner Fell during the Spine in January.
As the miles passed, the knee became worse, then reached a point of pain that leveled out. No problem on climbs or on the flat, just descending. I walked backwards down some tarmacked slopes which was easier.
You know how Ive never been fond of walking poles. Well I took my two carbon ones, for 'just in case'. they were a god send and i doubt I would have got round without them. I really for the first time discovered their benefit and value. Pushing down hard on them during ascents took so much weight off my legs, and landing them forwards and again pushing on descents saved too much pain on my knee. I didn't go annoyingly tapping along on the flat, instead I carried them in one hand, I will defo take them again.
I finished battered, some blisters even, leg muscles ok, no cramps but my knees were shot to bits.
Got home bathed and changed, plenty noodles and rice and a beer, then slept like a log.
Today, no work, feet feel much better, so do knees, no swelling at all, which I was expecting and leg muscles don't feel like they've done 45 mile.
Analysing the problem with my knee which yesterday eventually became knees, I am beginning to think it may be something to do with wearing running tights, compressing the Patella harder against the joint. I'll do another long one soon wearing something different and see.
Dave.

#406965 - 03/08/15 05:27 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: lightweightmick]
DodgeyKnee Offline

Loc: London

#406966 - 03/08/15 05:30 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

I have the guide for that one Dave... keep coming across it while I'm looking stuff out. I doubt I'll ever get around to doing it though. Have you been doing a lot of kneeling of late - I find that can set my knees off and avoid it where possible. Have you had 'em rinsed out yet? I haven't, but know a few people who have and say how much better their knees are after... about a 2 week recovery period though... so not good for the S/E.
Least you still getting out Dave - good on yer mate!
Any future attempts from me will have to include more knee and ankle strengthening during training. I peaked too early this year and found it difficult to maintain that 'edge' what with other things needing doing...

#406967 - 03/08/15 05:37 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: DodgeyKnee]
lightweightmick Offline

Hey don't blame me Dodgy - I'm not a fan of organised events bringing more use to an already overused one... now if you could plan your own line, that would spread out the useage...

#406969 - 03/08/15 09:20 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Online   content

That's the Northern Traverse race that I posted a link to in another post a few weeks back. I am considering it!
dave.

#406970 - 03/08/15 09:32 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Online   content

Kneeling, I too avoid it like the plague. I only have to knee for a very brief period and I know about it. The strange thing is that it doesn't bother me straight away, it may start hurting a couple of days later. That's why I am thinking this latest thing may be down to compression from the tights. Ive never been able to wear knee supports for the same reason.
Maybe having to kneel to change the wheel on my van after a rear tyre blow out mid last week had something to do with it? I did put down as much padding as I could find at the time, but was thinking, this probably isn't good.
I don't fancy a rinse out of the knee, as Ive had two lots of Arthroscopy surgery, and the recovery period from having three holes put into your knee is a lot longer than two weeks.
My problem is roughening behind the kneecap. I do have large Patellas, so I guess they do get compressed more it tights. The op they used to do, to smoothen out this area is rarely done these days as it wasn't without problems.
Dave.

Page 68 of 69 < 1 2 ... 66 67 68 69 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917