The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36018 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44381 - 04/01/09 04:32 AM Transport from Bowness back to Ilkley
downesunder Offline

Loc: Fremantle, West Australia
Its almost 4 years since this thread appeared and I thought somebody has new info on getting back to Ilkley to pick up my vehicle after doing The Dales Way. I'll be doing the walk in mid June this year and would welcome advice. Cheers

#44383 - 04/01/09 01:21 PM Re: Transport from Bowness back to Ilkley [Re: downesunder]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Try this website. http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2/JourneyPlanning/Home.aspx?cacheparam=0

You might not be able to look all that many months ahead, but there isn't likely to be a huge difference between winter and summer schedules on that particular run.

#44510 - 10/01/09 09:32 PM Re: Transport from Bowness back to Ilkley [Re: downesunder]
Oates Offline

Loc: Derby
Sherpa Van are now providing a daily service from Bowness to Ilkley! Regards
Pete Oates

#46578 - 01/05/09 11:53 AM Re: Transport from Bowness back to Ilkley [Re: Oates]
whippetcross Offline

Got back from our Dalesway trip yesterday. We used the train from Bowness back to Ilkley - a couple of changes, all on time and very efficient. We had a doggie with us so the Sherpa Van prob. wouldn't have been an option.

#46586 - 01/05/09 03:55 PM Re: Transport from Bowness back to Ilkley [Re: whippetcross]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
hi whippetcross,
welcome to the site , did you have a journey on the Dales Way.
i guess you had good weather, were you camping or B.&B.
the route should have been nice and dry

#46587 - 01/05/09 03:55 PM Re: Transport from Bowness back to Ilkley [Re: tim smith]
tim smith Offline

a good journey

#46588 - 01/05/09 03:56 PM Re: Transport from Bowness back to Ilkley [Re: tim smith]
tim smith Offline

a good journey

#47478 - 05/06/09 03:23 PM Re: Transport from Bowness back to Ilkley [Re: tim smith]
whippetcross Offline

Hi Tim,
I have only logged into the site again today and saw you had replied to me - thankyou for your welcome. We did the Dalesway over six days we had a brilliant time on the walk. It was my first long distance one with tent and camping - very character-building :o) and a great sense of achievment when Windermere appeared through the trees. I felt quite emotional, but then I am a female of a certain age. We had great weather - mostly sunshine, blue skies and fluffy white clouds; one day of mostly rain and a damp morning, so very lucky. Hazeldog enjoyed it as well and still had four complete paws at the end

#47484 - 05/06/09 04:36 PM Re: Transport from Bowness back to Ilkley [Re: whippetcross]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Originally Posted By: whippetcross
Hi Tim,
I have only logged into the site again today and saw you had replied to me - thankyou for your welcome. We did the Dalesway over six days we had a brilliant time on the walk. It was my first long distance one with tent and camping - very character-building :o) and a great sense of achievment when Windermere appeared through the trees. I felt quite emotional, but then I am a female of a certain age. We had great weather - mostly sunshine, blue skies and fluffy white clouds; one day of mostly rain and a damp morning, so very lucky. Hazeldog enjoyed it as well and still had four complete paws at the end

Please can you let me know where you camped.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

#47848 - 19/06/09 03:38 PM Re: Transport from Bowness back to Ilkley [Re: Harland]
whippetcross Offline

Hello Harland,
We had a B&B in Ilkley after the drive up - the Riverside Hotel, pricey but Ok and you can leave your car there (for a fee). It's just before the beginning of the Dalesway path.
We camped the first night of the route at Mason's campsite, at Appletreewick - proper campsite with OK facilities. The path goes right by the site. BTW the second pub, as you walk through the village, has an amazing selection of Belgian beers, some lovely real ale and great food. Night 2 was the Heber Farm campsite at Buckden - small detour from the path to get to the village - it's just a field with water supply and you use the loos etc in the car park just down the hill. It was fine and it's very handy for the Buck Inn :o). Our third night, we excitingly wild-camped on the moorland between Cam Houses and Dentdale in an area called Black Rake Road. The 4th night was Sedbergh and a very well- serviced site with wonderful showers, loos etc. There's a small, but pleasant detour along the river to get to it. Too tired to walk in and explore the delights of Sedbergh in the evening though!! Our final night of camping was at Burneside Hall Farm just outside Burneside. It's not a campsite but the farmer has allowed camping there for years - he has just put his prices up though so it's not cheap for what you get really. I was just so thankful to have a place to stop for the night after a very long day of walking in the rain and climbing over what seemed like hundreds of stiles. Basic facilities - toilet and sink and drinking water. They normally put campers in a meadow by the duckpond but said we could go behind the walls in their orchard/ veg garden as it was going to be a rough night. Our final night, we had a B&B in Bowness-on Windermere and the luxury of a hot shower, a real bed and a celebratory pizza at one of the many eateries in the town that evening.
I got this camping info, before we went on our trip, from another forum on the web - I'd like to thank the chap who posted the stuff originally but can't find where I got it from now...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917