The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36018 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44395 - 05/01/09 11:53 PM Planning
Filopastry Offline

I'm planning my first coast to coast walk for a couple of us to do and am wondering how long it takes to prepare a walk typically.

Is it too ambitious to start planning in a couple of weeks and to set off mid April?

At the moment, I'm just browsing around, reading people's journals and looking at potential places to stay. It suddenly feels a little daunting having to buy maps (which one?!) and plan a route without knowing much about what lays ahead!

How long to people normally take to plan these things?

#44397 - 06/01/09 01:32 AM Re: Planning [Re: Filopastry]
canmal Offline

Loc: Toronto,Ontario,Canada
Plan now for accommodation. Planning lets you have fun anticipating the walk.Maps let you imagine your route and are even more fun. There's plenty of advice on this site if you search around a bit.If nothing else, act on something. Suggest you go get map(s) it will help you through the winter.

#44398 - 06/01/09 01:39 AM Re: Planning [Re: Filopastry]
flatlands Offline

Hi Filopastry, welcome to the forum. Your 1st Coast to Coast walk and bet you can't wait, lots of surprises for you. I'm doing the Coast to Coast in April and this is my 5th crossing, never tired from this great walk.

I know from my first Coast to Coast in 1990 and never really planned it as such, although I was camping with b&b and yha on spec. But times have changed and one needs to book up, even in April.

What you need know, how many miles can you do in day. Bearing in mind in the Lakes can be hard going, maybe a rest day is a good idea.

A good guide book is a must and a bible, but which one is the question, lots to choose from. You might like to take the O.S. Explorer OL4 and OL5 for the Lakes section. I have Martin Wainwright's Coast to Coast guide and that has the colour strip map inside.

So it's a case of how long is a piece of string! So are you camping or b&b maybe youth hostels. With the former, no problem. B&B & yha best to book up, esp Grasmere & Keld.

I'm planning middle of April (hopefully) or May. 12-14 days, camping. My planning is what gear to take, where to camp.

The best thing about the Coast to Coast is you are never alone.

#44399 - 06/01/09 04:42 AM Re: Planning [Re: flatlands]
HB Offline

Loc: Norfolk, UK
Hi there filopastry, it's never too early to plan, and you most certainly need to get the accommodation booked. If you need to get fit enough to do the walk, then you should start now.

I, along with four other grandmothers did the C2C walk for the first time last June and I would love to do it again, but this year some of us are planning to do Hadrian's Wall.

Take a look at http://famousfivegrannies.walkingplaces.co.uk/ if you are interested in reading about five old ladies doing the walk in 13 days!

Good luck, I look forward to reading your journal when you finish.
HB

#44400 - 06/01/09 09:23 AM Re: Planning [Re: HB]
Filopastry Offline

Thanks all for the great replies. And HB, I've already read your brilliant account of the walk! Really enjoyable reading before heading to bed.

So far, my preperation has only been to order Authur Wainwright's book and so I imagine based on your reply, Canmal, that it is as well to decide on sleep over points before planning the walk?

I know everyone stops in different places but based on miles I was thinking of the following

Ennerdale bridge
Rosthwaite
(Grasmere)
Patterdale
Bampton
Orton
Kirkby Stephen
Reeth
Richmond
Ingleby Cross
Great Broughton
Grosmont
Robin Hood's Bay

Some days are quite long though (about 20-23 miles) so may take some revising. But is this the correct thing to do? Decide on where to stay before anything else? And do those stopping points sound respectable?

#44402 - 06/01/09 10:38 AM Re: Planning [Re: Filopastry]
Mark Bradshaw Offline

Originally Posted By: Filopastry
Thanks all for the great replies. And HB, I've already read your brilliant account of the walk! Really enjoyable reading before heading to bed.

So far, my preperation has only been to order Authur Wainwright's book and so I imagine based on your reply, Canmal, that it is as well to decide on sleep over points before planning the walk?

I know everyone stops in different places but based on miles I was thinking of the following

Ennerdale bridge
Rosthwaite
(Grasmere)
Patterdale
Bampton
Orton
Kirkby Stephen
Reeth
Richmond
Ingleby Cross
Great Broughton
Grosmont
Robin Hood's Bay

Some days are quite long though (about 20-23 miles) so may take some revising. But is this the correct thing to do? Decide on where to stay before anything else? And do those stopping points sound respectable?

I walked from Reeth to St Giles Farm to lessen the miles between Richmond and Ingleby Cross,which is basically walking across fields and along roads (fascinating history attached to that section,BTW).
I did:
St Bees to Ennnerdale Bridge
Ennerdale Bridge to Rosthwaite
Rosthwaite to Grasmere
Grasmere to Patterdale/Glenridding
Patterdale to Shap
Shap to Kirkby Stephen
Kirkby Stephen to Keld (then got a ride to Reeth,and then a ride the next morning back to Keld)
Keld to Reeth
Reeth to Brompton On Swale/Scorton
Scorton to Ingleby Cross
Ingleby Cross to Blakey Ridge (a twenty miler,but the most easily navigable of the route)
Blakey Ridge to Grosmont
Grosmont to Robin Hood's Bay.
Nimrod

#44403 - 06/01/09 10:48 AM Re: Planning [Re: Filopastry]
GaryB Offline

A mate and myself did this using B&Bs in 2006 and we used a Cicerone guide and OS maps as we went 'off piste' at times to 'bag' Great Gable, Scafell Pike and Helvellyn.

Our stops were:

Moor Row (we didn't get to St Bee's until the afternoon)
Rosthwaite
Grasmere (via Green Gable, Great Gable and Scafell Pike)
Patterdale (via Helveylln)
Shap
Kirby Stephen
Reeth (via Swaledale)
Danby Wiske
Chop Gate (vis Skugdale rather than the usual route)
Grosmont
Robin Hood's Bay

As you can gather, this took 11 days. There were a couple of long treks involved (Kirby Stephen - Reeth is 23 miles and Reeth Danby Wiske is 25 miles), but they were do-able as the terrain was relatively flat.

We had a timescale to do the walk in and mountains to bag, so we needeed to get some miles in on the 'easier' days.

If I were to do it again, which I want to, I'd stay in:

St Bee's
Ennderdale Bridge
Rosthwiate/Stonethwaite
Patterdale
Shap
Kirby Stephen
Gunnerside
Richmond
Ingelby Cross
Chop Gate
Grosmont
Robin Hood's Bay

Again 11 days, but no mountain 'bagging' in the lakes.

On all my walks I've booked first and worried about the distances later!

As the others say, the planning is half the fun of the walk in my view.

#44407 - 06/01/09 11:33 AM Re: Planning [Re: GaryB]
Filopastry Offline

Cheers for the information.

My rough plan there, was keeping in mind what I have read based on other people's accounts; that the Lake District involves the greatest level of ascent and is possibly also the most fun part. So I was looking at maybe spending a slightly disproportionate amount of time in the Lakes to

1) Enjoy the environment at a more leisurely pace
2) Make sure we weren't being to ambitious by having to cover a great number of miles while also having to do a lot of climbing.

I'm aware the number of miles increases greatly once we hit the edge of the Lake District but I was assuming we'd cover much more ground, with it being much flatter.

Again, I'll have to read up a bit more before making any firm dicisions.

Other points of concern were/are making sure we stay in as populated a place as possible as I have visions of arriving somewhere desperately hungry and thirsty and there being nowhere!

Also, I'm slightly terrified of getting lost so I hope 5-7 hour planned walks will offer enough time for us to 'get back on track' before the sun goes down!

Maybe I worry too much!

#44408 - 06/01/09 11:43 AM Re: Planning [Re: Filopastry]
GaryB Offline

I found the Cicerone guide very useful in that respect as they mark the route you should be taking on OS map inserts, so, allied to an OS landranger, you shouldn't get lost.

I agree with you that it is better to spend more time in the Lakes and so would reommend the Grasmere stop over as that splits Rosthwaite - Patterdale section in to two roughly 8 mile walks which will allow you to go 'off piste' if you want to.

Take the Swaledale route to Reeth from Keld if you want to avoid too much climbing, but beware of the squeeze stiles if you've short legs and a fat arse like me!

Good luck with it all and enjoy it!

#44409 - 06/01/09 12:26 PM Re: Planning [Re: GaryB]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Hi Filo
The Coast to Coast is a big walk if it's your first multi-day attempt.
Maybe it isn't your first, but reading between the lines of your questions I got that impression.
Fitness, and confidence in your kit and navigation, are essential. Almost as important is the ability of your group to function well.
One long weekend of walking together usually shows where the rubbing points will be (inter-personal difficulties, I mean), but not even such useful knowledge can guarantee that someone won't want to throttle a once-beloved companion after five days on a longer trail!
The Lake District provides an early and tough test of your readiness, and it's too good to rush through anyway. Long days down Swaledale and across the plain beyond Richmond are easy enough if that's what you want. The moors beyond Osmotherley have a lot of short climbs and steep descents, but by that time you'll be fit or fed up and it therefore won't be a problem.
Anyway, enjoy it, whichever way you decide to do it!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917