The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36018 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44453 - 08/01/09 04:58 PM Re: Planning [Re: Bliss 60]
pgt Offline

Hi Filopastry,
my comments, for what they are worth, would be

Kirkby Stephen to Keld in one day is possible but it is a long way.
So is Richmond to Ingleby Cross.
If you have an extra day to spare in your itinerary I would recommend doing what we did which was Kirkby Stephen to Muker and then have a short day from Muker to Reeth.
We then went from Reeth to Catterick Bridge (i.e. did not stop at Richmond) but we did have friends to stay with at Catterick which made this easier. This meant that we had two reasonable days walking (Reeth - Cattrick Bridge; Catterick Bridge - Ingleby Cross) instead of a short day (Reeth - Richmond) followed by a very long day (Richmond - Ingleby Cross).

As already mentioned the most important items of kit that you didn't have on your list is a first aid kit and also a few pairs of decent socks. It doesn't really matter how smelly you get but it's vital that you keep your feet dry.

Have fun.

#44454 - 08/01/09 04:59 PM Re: Planning [Re: pgt]
pgt Offline

Sorry, meant to say Kirkby Stephen to REETH in one day is a long way.

#44455 - 08/01/09 05:13 PM Re: Planning [Re: pgt]
pgt Offline

Oh, one more thing....

I used Martin Wainwright's (no relation to Alfred)guide.
The Coast to Coast Walk (Recreational Path Guide)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coast-Walk-Recreational-Path-Guide/dp/184513222X/ref=pd_sim_b_3

It's got 1:25,000 OS Maps and loads of useful information.
I would definitely recommend it.

#44456 - 08/01/09 06:03 PM Re: Planning [Re: Tortoise]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: Tortoise
Thanks Bliss. I actually did include the shoes and torch but I'd agree that 'a stack of plasters' is definitely missing!

I always carry what I call an 'odds and sods' box which has all sorts of bits and pieces in (string, tape, safety pins, spare batteries, etc, etc) - and it also includes a few plasters. I'd left it off my list thinking it was maybe a bit excessive for some people, but the plasters are an essential.

and condoms ?

#44459 - 08/01/09 06:18 PM Re: Planning [Re: pgt]
Mark Bradshaw Offline

Originally Posted By: pgt
Sorry, meant to say Kirkby Stephen to REETH in one day is a long way.

It is!
Nimrod

#44466 - 08/01/09 10:01 PM Re: Planning [Re: Bliss 60]
matlock Offline

Bliss Like you I love maps so will be starting with 10 and then posting them home at intervals. Glad I am not not the only sad old b....... doing the walk this year.

#44468 - 08/01/09 11:25 PM Re: Planning [Re: Stottie]
Mary L Offline

Loc: Chapel Hill, North Carolina, U...
I think it depends on knowing your own abilities and style.

I'm an old bag; I slow down radically on hills, both up and down, and planned very carefully for 2007 using the trail profiles in one of the guidebooks. I applied Naismith's rule--doubled--and it worked out well.

I also planned for a leisurely 18 walking days, it being my first LDW. That was a good idea. Turns out I was not as good a navigator as I thought I was; but walking east to west I was able to get smarter before the stakes (and the hills) got too high.

My plan would not do at all for those chaps who blast through in 7 days, nor would theirs do for me.

Know before you go.

#44500 - 09/01/09 08:38 PM Re: Planning [Re: ]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Hello Mary L
nice to hear you back

#44508 - 10/01/09 06:45 PM Re: Planning [Re: Mary L]
Mark Bradshaw Offline

Originally Posted By: Mary L
I think it depends on knowing your own abilities and style.

I'm an old bag; I slow down radically on hills, both up and down, and planned very carefully for 2007 using the trail profiles in one of the guidebooks. I applied Naismith's rule--doubled--and it worked out well.

I also planned for a leisurely 18 walking days, it being my first LDW. That was a good idea. Turns out I was not as good a navigator as I thought I was; but walking east to west I was able to get smarter before the stakes (and the hills) got too high.

My plan would not do at all for those chaps who blast through in 7 days, nor would theirs do for me.

Know before you go.

I think if I did it again,it would be over more days. 18 might be a bit too much - maybe 15 or 16.
Nimrod

#44676 - 21/01/09 09:15 PM Re: Planning [Re: Filopastry]
ksw Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
Hi all - my husband and I are doing this walk the end of July - we have never done a long distance walk and never really used maps - we are in our 30's, in good shape and hopefully fairly intelligent - haha....
After reading through this thread I am starting to get a bit worried about the skill level needed to get through it without ending up like Liam and Maria on Corrie...
Everyone seems to be focusing so much on map reading skills.......
So far we have the following:

Stedman's Guide, Wainright's book, the two Harvey maps (East and West), a compass and a GPS(for walking) with all the coordinates of the walk inputted.

In all your expert opinions - do we have enough to make it out alive?

We have been offered the use of the O/S maps but I would rather not bring them as we will be backpacking for two months before we do the walk and we really can do without the extra weight during that time.

Thanks for your help!

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917