The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44677 - 21/01/09 09:38 PM Re: Planning [Re: ksw]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
So long as you can use a compass, the Harvey Maps and with the Steadman guide you should have no problem.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

#44678 - 21/01/09 10:09 PM Re: Planning [Re: Harland]
ksw Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
Define knowing how to use a compass smile

Neither of us has ever used one so I just did some reasearch and I found a place in Ottawa that gives courses on map/compass/gps reading........I am thinking we should probably take it...that will give me a bit more peace of mind....

#44679 - 21/01/09 11:04 PM Re: Planning [Re: ksw]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Try looking at this, it isn't too difficult with a bit of practice:-

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/mapshop/pdf/map_reading_made_easy.pdf
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

#44680 - 22/01/09 07:13 AM Re: Planning [Re: ksw]
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Originally Posted By: ksw

In all your expert opinions - do we have enough to make it out alive?

I think that all of this talk here has over concerned you. The Coast to Coast is the package holiday of walks!!! You'll be very unlikely to get lost unless you do something stupid. The equipment you have is absolutely enough - probably more than enough - you may not need to use a compass on the whole walk - I didn't.

If you're reasonably fit, have a clearish idea of how far you can go in one day (taking into account if you're carrying a heavy pack or not) and don't exceed your personal limitations, are reasonably sensible and can read a map, can use a compass to the extent of finding out where North is so that you have the map up the right way - you are unlikely to have any navigation problems on the Coast to Coast.

And if all else fails - if you aren't sure about the right way - stay on the path and wait. The Coast to Coast is the most walked long distance walk in the UK - in July, if you have set out reasonably early - someone else is bound to come along who can give you advice if you have a problem. Chances are you'll meet up with other people doing the walk anyway and be with them over several days.

Please don't worry - no chance of you not getting out alive!

#44684 - 22/01/09 01:44 PM Re: Planning [Re: Bliss 60]
Tortoise Offline

Loc: South Bucks
While broadly agreeing with you, Bliss - there's no way anyone's going to come to serious harm. But a map and compass can still be very useful.

If the weather's clear, they would rarely be needed, but when we arrived at Greenup Edge, it was in thick cloud. It was far from obvious which way to go and the mist did an excellent job of obscuring the possible paths and the few small cairns dotted about. Without a map and compass, we could have easily walked quite a way off route. Could we just have waited for someone else to come along? Well, possibly - but it was cold and wet and windy so it wouldn't have been my favourite choice!

True, there aren't that many parts of the C2C like this, but there are a few.

#44685 - 22/01/09 02:02 PM Re: Planning [Re: ksw]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Originally Posted By: ksw
Define knowing how to use a compass smile

Neither of us has ever used one so I just did some reasearch and I found a place in Ottawa that gives courses on map/compass/gps reading........I am thinking we should probably take it...that will give me a bit more peace of mind....

Take the course!
Complete the course!
Every year people set out on the Coast to Coast and Pennine Way and give up in the first couple of days. Sometimes it's because they can't read a map and use a compass, and sometimes it's because they aren't fit and practised at walking in the hills.
The Coast to Coast walk is generally easy to navigate, but if the mist comes upon you when you're at the top of Loft Beck or Greenup Edge or Nine Standards Rigg you will welcome the reassurance of your compass.
If the sun is shining you may well wonder what all the fuss is about, but believe me when I assert that navigation in our hills is every bit as important as having the right equipment and a decent level of fitness.

#44692 - 22/01/09 06:54 PM Re: Planning [Re: Stottie]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
If you have never really used maps or a compass, you wont have long enough to learn properly, unless you get out there in the hills and practise (a lot). Perhaps in the circumstances you will would be better off following the Wainwright guidebook as not every turn is signed. In areas like Greenup Edge, the top of Loft Beck and stretches between Boardale Haus and Kidsty Pike, you need to make sure you have company or some others, that you know are doing the route, to follow. These areas can be tricky in mist conditions. Dont worry too much there are usually plenty doing it, and by Patterdale you will probably know them all.
Dave.

#44696 - 22/01/09 08:43 PM Re: Planning [Re: Filopastry]
ksw Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
Thanks so much for all your responses. We will take the course for sure and if we are lucky enough not to have to use the compass then at least we have some knowledge for the next walk (I see many walks in our future!)

#44718 - 23/01/09 04:33 PM Re: Planning [Re: ksw]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Just remember which way you are going, east or west, and you shouldn't go far wrong.
I never bother with a compass or any of that GPS gadgetry and just use what map reading skills I might have gained over the years.

#44719 - 23/01/09 04:59 PM Re: Planning [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Tortoise Offline

Loc: South Bucks
I suspect we might have talked about compasses before, LL - and I'm puzzled by your continuing proud assertion that you never use one.

How have you avoided ever being on featureless tops or moorland in thick cloud? Or is it just that you adopt the approach that it doesn't really matter where you end up because you can always work out where you are eventually - even if it is in the wrong valley!

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917