The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44721 - 23/01/09 06:02 PM Re: Planning [Re: Tortoise]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: Tortoise
I suspect we might have talked about compasses before, LL - and I'm puzzled by your continuing proud assertion that you never use one.

How have you avoided ever being on featureless tops or moorland in thick cloud? Or is it just that you adopt the approach that it doesn't really matter where you end up because you can always work out where you are eventually - even if it is in the wrong valley!

No, just a statement of fact, not pride.
But, yes, I have been in featureless places in cloud, and very occasionally been uncertain as to my whereabouts, but have just carried on regardless and eventually reached civilisation, and if I hadn't you know what they say about when your number's up.
And one certainty is that any comment of mine on compasses will soon get a response to help liven this forum up a bit.

#44809 - 27/01/09 10:29 PM Re: Planning [Re: Filopastry]
K Offline

Loc: Langley, BC, Canada
Hi Filopastry,

I wish you all the best for your walk. My wife and I did the c2c in the first three weeks of June 2008. We were very busy beforehand and actually did the majority of our accommodation booking (B&Bs & a few pubs) in late April and early May; it is possible to book that late but we didn't always get our first choice of accommodation. Due to busyness we only had a week of training walks in the Cotswolds immediately before starting the c2c so we had some foot issues but we survived and had a great time despite some physical discomfort. I'd certainly recommend spacing one's "training" walks out a bit more than that!

As to your itinerary, it looks pretty good provided you are prepared to walk some of those long days. Personally, I prefer a slower pace and so our itinerary was considerably longer, taking most of the opportunities to break up the long days and taking a couple extra days in the Lakes for fun.

If I were you I'd definitely stop in Grasmere, so that then you could do the high level alternatives if you wish (weather permitting). As others have mentioned, Kirkby Stephen to Reeth is another long day. If you did that, I'd advise you to take the Swaledale low route from Keld to Reeth--it's beautiful.

Here is our itinerary (with a major diversion to Wasdale over the first few days since I'd always wanted to see it):

Afternoon arrival at St. Bees, walked SE down coast road 4 miles to stay the night at Beckermet
Nether Wasdale
Seatoller (took an extra day here because we love the Lakes--got to explore the Vale of Newlands which was gorgeous)
Grasmere (took two extra days here for same reason as above; I worked in Grasmere in 1992 so it was nice to visit once again)
Hartsop
Bampton Grange
Orton
Kirkby Stephen
Muker
Reeth
Richmond
Danby Wiske (actually stayed at Lovesome Hill Farm, 2 miles E)
Ingleby Cross (Park House)
Clay Bank Top (Chop Gate)
Glaisdale (a long day and my feet were killing me the last couple of miles!)
Hawsker
Finished at RHB in late morning the following day--a great time to finish as it was a simple 4 mile morning walk, so we had lots of energy to celebrate!

We used the Stedman 2004 edition (very good except for one directional error after Grosmont), and, since I love maps, we used the complete OS Explorer set. Had a compass but never used it as we had great weather with only a couple of hours rain on the entire trip.

Happy planning & walking!

K

#44827 - 29/01/09 02:19 AM Re: Planning [Re: ksw]
canmal Offline

Loc: Toronto,Ontario,Canada
ksw.
Perhaps I have misinterpreted you comments, but I hope you don't mean you are not taking any maps and intend to rely only on co-ordinates in your GPS?(if you have downloadable OS maps in your GPS you could have a technical problem.) If nothing else,you must take hard copy maps of somekind, along with a proper baseplate compass.Maps and compass "trump" GPS's(and guidebooks)..even if its only because they have no batteries to go flat!.Be aware that the map reading/ GPS course in Ottawa may not address the (preferable) use of UK grid system used in O.S. maps in conjunction with the GPS, but will be more focussed on the international lat/long protocols.Probably the maps they use for teaching will also not have anywhere near the detail of the OS/Harvey maps. You might want to take an OS map with you to the course just to make sure.
You should not be concerned that the walk is life threatening, but, by the same token, when you are tired, wet and hungry, and perhaps unsure, its much better to know that you can probably find your way to comfort with some confidence.We are not talking about a trip in unchartered territory here, but I really do need to dissuade you from listening to advice that has been given in this thread that may prompt you to think that navigation aids are not required.I simply have no understanding of why anyone would recommend not taking maps, compasses or anything else on this type of walk.(If anyone else has been on 9 standards unable to see more than 20 yards in the wind rain and fog, and think thats fun without a map please let us know!) The UK hills are to be respected. I know 99% of responsible hill walkers would agree with me. Especially those Mountain Rescue folk.

#44828 - 29/01/09 02:24 AM Re: Planning [Re: canmal]
canmal Offline

Loc: Toronto,Ontario,Canada
KSW... sorry...got on my high horse!..just saw your reference to Harvey maps and compass etc..I'm sure you'll be fine!!

#44832 - 29/01/09 05:52 AM Re: Planning [Re: canmal]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
I would agree with carnal about the importance of taking maps.
As for compass and GPS, well I think we've had that discussion before.

#44925 - 01/02/09 02:20 PM Re: Planning [Re: ksw]
LE1 Offline

Hi Filopastry and KSW
Have just been enjoying reading through this thread, and a couple of thoughts occurred to me -- did the C to C last year for first time, not my first LDW, but my most ambitious! I walked E to W with the Cicerone guide, the Ordnance Survey sheets 33 and 34 (which are now out of print)a compass, a mobile phone and a dog. The dog wasn't much use except as an appreciative companion! The mobile phone wasn't much use either, as usually no reception. I only used the compass once, after realizing I'd missed the turning ("..by a large cairn.." - well, define "large")for Moses Trod, and had gone quite a way off route. But it was a clear sunny morning, and I could soon see where I should be heading. When booking accommodation, (several months in advance!) I'd put in some extra nights for additional flexibility, which allowed me the option of not attempting to cross Lakeland passes in poor visibility (for which I was very grateful).
In the Lakes especially, I met quite a number of walkers who were walking W to E, and appeared to me to have seriously overestimated how far they could go in a day - it's already midday, we're on Greenup Edge, you've started from Ennerdale Bridge this morning and you're aiming to finish at Patterdale today?!
If the thought of smelly socks etc bothers you, look out for accommodation that offers a laundry service, for example, Park House on the route in Arncliffe Woods, just SE of Ingleby Cross.

Hope you enjoy it!

#44931 - 01/02/09 04:36 PM Re: Planning [Re: LE1]
LE1 Offline

P.S. Whoops no, for Ennerdale Bridge, (above) read Rosthwaite!

#44938 - 01/02/09 07:05 PM Re: Planning [Re: LE1]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Many do Rosthwaite to Patterdale in one go. I went from Longthwaite to Patterdale in one go, but I was on Greenup Edge for around 11am, still got to Patterdale easily by 4.30pm. Instead of going via Grasmere, you purposely go via Wythburn or Steel Fell,and Raise Beck to Grisedale Tarn then follow Grisedale to Patterdale.
Dave.

#45032 - 04/02/09 09:57 AM Re: Planning [Re: Slogger]
pgt Offline

There have been a few mentions of the Harveys maps on this thread. We found that they weren't actually that good especially in the Lake District. The OS 1:25,000 maps were far superior. i.e. much more detail which was needed at times.

So as this is thread is all about giving advice I thought I'd flag this up.

Just wondered what others thought.

#45039 - 04/02/09 01:19 PM Re: Planning [Re: ksw]
DollywagonDave Offline

Loc: Manchester, England
Hello KSW,

If you're doing C2C at the end of July, there ought to be an abundance of company!

I, along with 6 companions will be leaving st Bees on August 1st (I, for the 4th consecutive crossing, they for their 1st)

I expect it will be a case of "one at a time please" at every stile!

I doubt, very much, that you will be fortunate enough to be out of sight of at least one coast to coaster and therefore the chaces of getting "lost" are about the same as Sea Shore Sam contracting charisma!!

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917